The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread (Warning: Spoilers Within)

True. What's there to like?
yahoo_56.gif

It is bit sad seeing Bruce struggle during TGU. Great harmony and solo section though.

Downtuning the guitar would probably solve this problem, but I think Harris would rather end the band then doing that.
Its real shame, because I'm afraid this will end up doing damage to Bruce's vocal cords.

Glad to hear (and see) that the gig was a success! Not too happy with the Hallowed drop, but I've seen Maiden 4 times and heard Hallowed at every gig. This will only be my second Wrathchild, so I'm still very excited.

Can't wait for The Great Unknown, hope it stays in the set!

Other bands either use a different tuning live. It would not harm if Maiden did that too. It would have benefited Blaze back then too.

This should just happen. Just tune down a half step. It's not that much, it's not ruining the song, it's not a knock against your talent: Bruce is older and his voice would sound far better without the strain.

Last edited:
Well... I was working as a FOH engineer yesterday, so I missed the updates. Sad to see Hallowed go, but it is a good decision if we look at it from the vocal point of view. It's replacement... No comment. It just seems it was a last minute decision (play BNW or Coming Home instead FFS). Great Unknown is nice. But not as nice as Davey's new white strat (praying to fucking gods they release it).

There's a huge difference between writing music with Drop D (and lower) tuned guitars and taking songs written and performed in E standard for literal decades and dropping them down to Eb. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Bruce was against the latter, since it has a tendency to change the way certain things sound even beyond just making it a little lower.

Last edited:
There's definitely a difference, but I'd rather hear a better performance every night and help preserve Bruce's future voice than keep the same tuning out of nothing other than legacy.

Just listen to the live version of Halo on Fire by Metallica. The melody is there and James can pull it off so much easier. Just by tuning half a step lower. Not that big of a deal.

There's definitely a difference, but I'd rather hear a better performance every night and help preserve Bruce's future voice than keep the same tuning out of nothing other than legacy.
Nothing to worry about. Everything's under control. Bruce has influence on the setlist and if he can't sing future songs (after trying them out), 'Arry needs to writer lower vocal lines, or none. And/or change the key. Writing in lower key, or with downtuned equipment is fine but I don't like downtuning of already existing music. Feels fake, sounds different. Sounds less good.

I remember reading that the reason for not tuning down is that they think it doesn't sound right for Maiden. They tried it during the making of BNW.

If Eternity shows that when creating something new, the matter might not be an issue anymore. It's tried and done. More difficult for 'Arry (and perhaps others) is wanting to play already existing songs in a different manner.

Future songs should be created in lower register. Live on Powerslave Bruce sounds great, or at least, very good. On solo albums - great. TGU, TRAB - painful to listen. Harris must change songwriting style a bit. And write lyrics, which TELLS STORY..

Bruce definately had cold yesterday. Listen to TBOS chorus. He sounds like his nose is totally closed. When he comes back on after Dave's solo he sounds fine. That is probably the reason why Hallowed was dropped.

Well, just listened to IESF. They did not even remove the vocals from the keyboard intro. Damn, I just think they do now put any real effort anymore.

Not too bad. Hallowed is one of my favorites, but if it's for the reason that Bruce struggles singing it, I understand why it was removed.

Wrathchild is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Only seen it live once, in 2010.

Again, would have rather had Man of Sorrows or Shadows of the Valley over The Great Unknown, but will still be excited to see the new song live.

June and July can't get here fast enough. Three Maiden concerts and a Metallica concert all in the span of one month. I may not be able to hear anything afterwards, but it will be so worth it.
Earplugs! Don't pull a Brian Johnson...

Back