Official Star Trek Thread

I won't even comment.

You already did.

Also, I recently saw something about a new TV Star Trek coming in 2017 called 'Discovery' that will be set sometime after Enterprise but before the original series (so Loosey gets his wish?).

I haven't followed this in any way, so the setting of the series is news to me. I still think I would have liked a series set between TOS and TNG. It would have meant a lot of research work to get the timeline right based on all the mentions in the subsequent series, but I always thought there was something you could do with Enterprise B and C.

If you read the Wiki page on Discovery you'll notice that Klingons will be heavily featured in the 1st season. Looking forward to it

Sometimes Janeway is awesome. Sometimes she is a wimp. She is one of the least consistently-written characters Star Trek ever had. And that's a damn shame, because when she's on, she's on.

I agree that they kinda ruined the Borg though.

Voyager was a frustrating show ... a good premise, some good episodes, some good characters. But they were all just so uneven, they did so many resets, failed to follow up on some of the better stories, never managed a good new species to play off of (hence the Borg as the main enemy), and ignored some characters for long periods of time.

Not a bad show, but seems like it could have been a lot better. I think being the flagship show on UPN probably had a lot to do with it ... if they were syndicated, maybe they could have gone with a more serialized route like DS9

DS9 doc is up to $464K ... at $500K they will convert the clips they use to HD ... which would be nice to see

I really like the TNG-ENT Klingons .. not sure why they changed them again .... I'll watch it when it comes out, I will not pay for CBS All Access though ... there is literally nothing on it besides this that I have an interest in.

Canada is getting it on Bell Direct, so I have a friend with that. Pretty much the only reason I won't be torrenting it.

I have no problem paying for streaming services .. I already do with Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, MLB, NHL, NFL ... all in lieu of having cable .. but the CBS one is just a waste

Yeah, the problem with Bell Direct in Canada is you can only get it if you're a Bell customer. I'm not changing my internet service to a worse, more expensive one to get access to Bell Direct.

Yeah, TNG/DS9 made the whole classic Klingon lore. Looks, fractions, politics, civil wars, etc. The original Klingons represent warriors from the east, they are basically Mongols but probably a metaphor for the Soviet Union. TNG and DS9 made them into a probably the most epic space race ever conceived.
Re. Netflix. I don't have a television, I don't watch television. But this is so dirt cheap that it's great even for a tablet.

Edit : they even officially backported TNG Klingons to the original cast and era via The Undiscovered Country, my favourite of that crew.

aNzZoP3_700b.jpg

Rewatched ST Beyond. Just realized the actress that plays Jaylah is Sofia Boutella! Same babe that played the new Mummy (Tom Cruise movie)

Great job by all, including an unrecognizable Idris Elba (until the end).

RIP Anton Yelchin

So next film will have Chris Hemsworth return as Kirk's dad. Wonder if it will be a flashback or if time travel will be involved :nuts2:

Ahead Geek Level 9

Went to a Star Trek Convention in Vegas .. first non work convention of any kind for me

I donated to the DS9 documentary kickstarter and got a meet and greet deal in Vegas

My wife and I flew out there, we got upgraded on the way there and who is sitting across from us .. Tom Araya ... He owns a ranch near Waco, he and his wife were flying in for a Slayer show ... nice guy.

We got out convention passes, walked around a bit, they had some cool stuff from all the shows there.

Went back yesterday for the DS9 deal .. ended up talking to James Darren and the guy who played Rom for a while .. they were both very nice. Also met Terry Farrell .. who is still fucking hot, Nicole deBour , the guys who played Martok and Gowron , Adam Nimoy, and Ira Stephen Behr.

My Aunt is a huge TOS fan, I paid $50 to get a Nichelle Nichols autograph for her birthday, she was pretty nice as well and looked great for her age.

Made me realize though I really like Trek and DS9 ... I am nowhere near on the level of some of these people. Between Saturday and Sunday we spent about 4 hours there and did "Vegas stuff" the rest of the weekend. Fun trip

Overall, was cool seeing the set pieces, the stuff they were selling was interesting .. but I think this is a one time deal

I'll watch Discovery when it starts, but honestly my expectations are pretty low. Hopefully they will surprise me.

On the plus side, Orville has been pretty damn good, better than I expected and very Star Trek like

Back