The Official Book of Souls Tour 2016 Thread (Warning: Spoilers within!)

Guitar buffs out there: is this the first time Dave has used sweep-picking in a solo? I'm trying to recall if he ever did in some of the more aggressive & chaotic lead work from the early nineties...

@matic22

Guitar buffs out there: is this the first time Dave has used sweep-picking in a solo? I'm trying to recall if he ever did in some of the more aggressive & chaotic lead work from the early nineties...

@matic22
The only time I recall hearing Dave doing sweep picking is sometimes on the last part of FOTD solo (Donnington 1992), finishing with F# minor arpeggio.

4:44

The only time I recall hearing Dave doing sweep picking is sometimes on the last part of FOTD solo (Donnington 1992), finishing with F# minor arpeggio.

4:44
That's the other instance I was thinking of. It's only a small three-string sweep though; with him barring the 14th and sweeping across/up the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings, finishing with that hammer-on to the 19th. Not really the type of three-string YouTube "LEARN HOW TO SWEEP PICK" examples you'd perhaps stumble across though, since he isn't using the top three strings. Still, it's definitely a sweep. Also, his live versions from this era pretty much copy the album sweep; it's not like he did it live, but it wasn't on the album (or vice versa.) This one, in Tears of a Clown, is quite textbook sounding don't you think? Strange to hear it coming from Murray, with him being so regularly cited as one of the three guitarists who hasn't developed his playing style (cf. H using slide). Although, again, this is hardly some quantum leap in guitar playing.

I just hope they will release a live album from this tour. There was some speculation about a live album according to the brave words website I'll believe it when the band makes an official announcement.

I just hope they will release a live album from this tour. There was some speculation about a live album according to the brave words website I'll believe it when the band makes an official announcement.
My bet is on Download or Wacken for the DVD. Download more likely, because Wacken is at the end of the tour.

EF1 was flying around in circles for a while today, just after it left Cape Town for Joburg. Someone on FB claimed there was an aerial photo session taking place. There was a helicopter around the same area at the time, so that might be correct.

There was indeed an aerial photo session:

http://ironmaiden.com/news/article/aces-high-on-the-ground

1511-960.jpg

I'd rather have it recorded in an indoor venue instead. However, I think there is no real pattern as to where to record full live shows:
So far (for official, full releases):
LAD: in
ME: in
DON92: out
RiR: out
DOTR: in
(F666: both but mostly outdoor I think)
EV: out

I really want a live album and DVD as well but if they are in fact touring next year for a BOS tour then I assume we won't get one until 2018 or so. There's no sense in releasing a live album for a tour you're still touring.

I'd also love it to be different than the last few - so, not in South America and indoors.

Yes, its true, they are still doing the tour so it will be a while but I hope to see one from this tour later on so there is also time for them to record a good quality show. I also agree that it should be an indoor venue.

Not sure if this fan film of the complete show in Sydney has been posted yet...but it rocks!

It's multi-cameras including someone who filmed from centre-stage on the barrier. I was at this gig three rows back from Dave so excuse any sentimentality here but I'd be happy if this footage was edited, remastered and released as an official DVD. The fact it is not HD gives it a more energized feel.

Plenty of the solos are captured thank god! In fact, the filmers focused on the soloing guitarist more often than the rhythm guitarist - bizarre for a bootleg!

Check out the quality of the footage during Death or Glory and The Book Of Souls...climb like a monkey Bruce!!

I'm going to leave this alone now, it's spoiling too much of the show! That looks like their best performance I've seen footage of to date. The guitarists are being creative and varying things nicely, and Bruce's voice sounds excellent.

The boys were in great form and they were really enjoying themselves. Adrian and Bruce were smiling as much as Dave...which I thought was impossible!

Get yourself as close as possible to the stage, Dave's side

I didn't see anyone post this - an article from The Spectator about the China shows, with some details about the changes Maiden made, how the fans received the show, and wider questions about metal in China.

Meet the fans who risk death for heavy metal
Why do authoritarian regimes fear metalheads? Karen Yossman goes on tour with Iron Maiden on their first visit to China to find out

Not sure if this fan film of the complete show in Sydney has been posted yet...but it rocks!

It's multi-cameras including someone who filmed from centre-stage on the barrier. I was at this gig three rows back from Dave so excuse any sentimentality here but I'd be happy if this footage was edited, remastered and released as an official DVD. The fact it is not HD gives it a more energized feel.

Plenty of the solos are captured thank god! In fact, the filmers focused on the soloing guitarist more often than the rhythm guitarist - bizarre for a bootleg!

Check out the quality of the footage during Death or Glory and The Book Of Souls...climb like a monkey Bruce!!

This is KILLER. Thank you for posting!

Hopefully at least one of these Euro shows will yield a pro-shot show.

It seems that every recording I've heard from this tour has more of a "trebley", higher toned sound to it and not very much of a lower, bass sound. That must be how the have their sound set up for the shows.

Has anyone come across any proshot footage of any of the concerts yet?

Same thing in audio format? Just curious. I found audio of the Tulsa show from a few months ago but the quality is kind of terrible.

Some changes have been made in guitar department of Dave, for those interested.

The Black 70's HSH reissue stratocaster is now used on: IESF, SOL, COTD, Powerslave and DOG.
The main Tobacco Sunburst California series Stratocaster is now used on: TOAC, TRATB, BOS, HBTN, FOTD, IM, TNOB, BB and WY.
The Cream Floyd Rose Classic Stratocaster is used only on The Trooper.

The Les Paul and the Black FR Classic are still on guitar stand, but aren't being used (at least in Dortmund).

Fun fact: TOAC and TRATB have been played with every single one of those guitars throughout the tour.

Back