The Trooper Beer

I hate to be contrarian (actually, that's not true), but I think the Troopers that night were bottled, not draft. We were at Vamp'd and I recall there was a table set off to the side of the bar where they had cases of Trooper bottles that they were pouring into cups. Of course, I drank a LOT of those Troopers, so my memory isn't perfect.

And I would agree -- that night was a lot of fun! It was my first time meeting everyone. Also, the Iron Maidens were far more entertaining than I expected.

I hate to be contrarian (actually, that's not true), but I think the Troopers that night were bottled, not draft. We were at Vamp'd and I recall there was a table set off to the side of the bar where they had cases of Trooper bottles that they were pouring into cups. Of course, I drank a LOT of those Troopers, so my memory isn't perfect.

And I would agree -- that night was a lot of fun! It was my first time meeting everyone. Also, the Iron Maidens were far more entertaining than I expected.

I believe that was just the Trooper 666 - which you were incredibly kind to provide us with, btw! :cheers:

I'm pretty sure I ordered a couple regular Troopers from the bar that were on tap, but as you said: I was a little hazy and certainly over-stimulated at the time, so I could be making it up.

More like..

- Getting serviced by @Cornfed Hick buying Trooper beers all night
- Thinking the Iron Maidens were OK, but mostly remembering they also had Trooper beers on tap during their show
- Having fun

I'm drinking a Red 'N' Black right now and I'm enjoying it. I'd have to say that I still prefer the classic Trooper, but that might be because I'm not the biggest fan of porters. It's definitely worth trying, though.

@MrKnickerbocker, If you're still looking to pick some up, they have them available at Binny's Beverage Depot. At least the one I went to in Glen Ellyn had them in stock, so I'm assuming the other locations would have them as well.

I'm drinking a Red 'N' Black right now and I'm enjoying it. I'd have to say that I still prefer the classic Trooper, but that might be because I'm not the biggest fan of porters. It's definitely worth trying, though.

@MrKnickerbocker, If you're still looking to pick some up, they have them available at Binny's Beverage Depot. At least the one I went to in Glen Ellyn had them in stock, so I'm assuming the other locations would have them as well.

I actually just got some as a birthday, have 8 cooling in the fridge! I'll probably have one later tonight and report back. :cheers:

Alright, had my first pint of Red 'n Black last night. To be fair, I had already had some rather potent beers beforehand, so I'll reserve total judgment until I have an unaffected pint.

First thoughts: it's interesting that it still tastes like original Trooper. I'm assuming they're using a similar hops profile, because they definitely share certain flavors, however subtle they may be. I definitely don't think it's dark or thick enough to be called a porter. Should've been labeled something else. Black lager, maybe?

Alright, had my first pint of Red 'n Black last night. To be fair, I had already had some rather potent beers beforehand, so I'll reserve total judgment until I have an unaffected pint.

First thoughts: it's interesting that it still tastes like original Trooper. I'm assuming they're using a similar hops profile, because they definitely share certain flavors, however subtle they may be. I definitely don't think it's dark or thick enough to be called a porter. Should've been labeled something else. Black lager, maybe?

It is definitely not a lager; perhaps a lighter porter in terms of thickness, but a porter nevertheless.

One has to be careful when drinking it, as it kicks like a mule! :lol:

Yeah, they definitely all share the same base flavor profile. I don't know much about brewing, but it could be the same base recipe even or possibly just the same malt/hops/yeast strain? I do enjoy that they all clearly share a taste to varying degrees. I'd also say that original Trooper is the best among its style, as I've had some rather incredible porters and, although Red 'n Black is nice, it certainly doesn't stack up.

I think most British beers taste very similar. I don't know what they put in them. Tea, maybe?

Drinking another right now and I gotta say - it's a little weak. I like the kick, I like the malty/biscuity-ness, but the whole thing tastes just...thin. I'm going to do a side-by-side taste of this VS. regular Trooper at some point in the near future, because they honestly share a lot of the same flavors.

Back