Dave Murray

Dave Murray lives in Hawaii most of the time. Other homeowners there are Cliff Williams, Lars Ulrich, Carlos Santana and Steven Tyler. What the f** are you waiting for to put up a local band? :D

murray_flying_v.JPG

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/in-pictures-iron-maiden-guitarist-dave-murrays-guitars-631157
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/in-pictures-iron-maiden-guitarist-dave-murrays-guitars-631157

A recent article on his guitars used on the Maiden England World Tour.

I was surprised by the the 2004 Gibson Flying V (which he used on The Prisoner and Wasted Years) when I first saw it.

I thought he went out and said his main guitar is a California Series when Fender released the new signature based on it? Quite far from a Customshop job... (The California Series was a quite affordable mid-range model.) The bad research and misinformation by people writing these articles! In the older Premier Guitar one from 2010 they said that the mini humbucker in Adrian's Goldtop Deluxe LP was from a Firebird. What kind of people do they hire? Anyone with any kind of knowledge would know that late 60's to early 70's Les Pauls were the "Deluxes" with mini humbuckers leftovers from Epiphone archtop production, placed in P90 routes and installed in the reissued Les Paul models. (The mini humbuckers from a Firebird are completely different pickups, and there's no way you'd even mistake them visually.) Adrian's Les Paul has had wood routed out and a full size 'bucker installed (probably a DiMarzio Super Distortion, but who knows).

Bottom line, don't trust any of it. With these mistakes, there's bound to be more that you can't easily check.

Edit: Big questionmark on this too "Dave favours a middle position or neck-and-middle position for rhythm work" - for clean, definitely. Highly questionable for distorted rhythm guitar. Most likely wrong info/misquote.

Last edited:
Different recordings:

Coming back to this:
Never thought I'd see Dave Murray cover Motörhead...;)
The first Maiden album, for instance the fast part of Prowler, is as (least as) heavy/rough/raw as Motörhead. Puts things into perpective doesn't it? As if the circle is round again... :) Basically, apart from the tribute aspect (which is important of course) I find it cool to see Dave playing such music again.

Last edited:
Yeah. Like you said he hasn't played like that since well, the debut...He was the one with the punk influences too wasn't he? :) Mixed in with a good portion of classic blues and rock of course.

Another one with Dave, this time with Alice Cooper on lead vocals. Who can identify the song?
Lovely solos! Cool end.
And School's Out (with Another Brick in the Wall inserted), also with Dave stealing the show:
Revolution:

Last edited:
Back