Shadows Of The Valley

How good is Shadows of the Valley on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Mixed feelings, right now, but maybe it grows...

Come on, how could they let this intro pass. If they decide to play this one live, people will be confused. Generally this song is quite BNW-like in my opinion. I could see it there or on DoD (and unfortunately it would be one of the weakest there). It's average until the anthemic 5:51 part, which is fantastic. Maybe the song would be better in a shorter form.

The only people I'd expect to get confused by it are the people who haven't bothered listening to the new album. Yes it is very obviously referencing Wasted Years but it still sounds distinct to me.

I don't really view the song as a grower but I loved it first time through.

The intro riff is pretty much played identical to Wasted Years, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact it's a great song. Paschendale's tapped intro is very similar too and the riff that kicks in around 5:40 in The Book of Souls (the Losfer Words section) is also similar, albeit in lower registers.
Fact is :whogivesafuck:

I'm curious why they did that riff. I mean - it can't be coincidence.

Here's my theory: They'd gone into the studio off the back of the Maiden England World Tour, where they played Wasted Years, so I'm guessing it was still fresh in the heads(fingers) when they began pre-production on the album.

Of course, I could be talking bollocks ha ha

I like to think that this is middle finger to all "they play same shit for years" people around the world.

Just signed up to say...

Has no one noticed the number of references to Maiden songs in this tune? Am I taking crazy pills?

You've already noted "Sea of Madness" and obviously wasted years.
There is also... (these are all from the chorus)
"Lay in fear as the dark raven crows" (fear of the dark)
"Tell them no lies" (no more lies)
"A cry for freedom" (the clansman)
"Praying that they wouldn’t die" (no prayer for the dying)

No doubt there are more.
Perhaps I'm reading into it too much but its the first thing I noticed when reading the lyrics.

The song is a nod to maiden, no?

Another grower. Pre-chorus is amazing and keyboards are an awesome addition. I was expecting a better chorus after all that awesome buildup, but it's just good.

This one is still getting better. Check these melodic guitars (voicings?) in the chorus. Really beautiful how this is not just plain distorted chords, instead we get a great atmospheric layer. Also, during Janick's solo, we have these beautiful other guitars going on. Intriguing original piece. Janick really watched the details in this song. At some point he makes some haunting, trembling note, will post the exact moment later on.

This one is still getting better. Check these melodic guitars (voicings?) in the chorus. Really beautiful how this is not just plain distorted chords, instead we get ap great atmospheric layer. Also, during Janick's solo, we have these beautiful other guitars going on. Intruiging original piece. Janick really watched the details in this song. At some point he makes some haunting, trembling note, will post the exact moment later on.

100% agree. This has taken over IESF as my 2nd favourite song on the album (behind Empire) and I really hope they play it live.

I absolutely love this song, I'd probably rank it only below the title track, Empire of the Clouds and If Eternity Should Fail.

The more I listen to it the less I hear of Wasted Years in the intro and the more I hear of the chorus on this song. And I think the chorus here soars and is one of the albums very best. Great guitar melodies here as well, typical of a reunion era Gers penned track. Love this song.

Have you guys heard that literal Where Eagles Dare riff? E.g. during Dave's solo. But because of Bruce's different vocal lines, it doesn't annoy me that much.

Someone in chat (Eddie's Wingman I think) pointed out it's also found in The Fallen Angel. I think it's just Iron Maiden's default groove in a triple meter. The bassline is a 6/8 gallop and Steve uses that all over the Maiden repertoire.

This song is the only one that hasn't clicked with me. I like the references to old songs in the lyrics but the Wasted Years thing at the beginning is too blatant for me. Especially given that they've rehashed that riff a couple times already. Normally this sort of thing doesn't bug me too much, but it's pretty distracting here. Hopefully the rest of the song grows on me though.

Anybody else get an Edge of Darkness vibe at 5:18?

Back