"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt that some reviews are paid off, but I really don't think they're silencing fans. I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I can't imagine the response from a few fan club members would affect sales all that much.

I don't doubt that some reviews are paid off, but I really don't think they're silencing fans. I'm not sure what the deal is with that. I can't imagine the response from a few fan club members would affect sales all that much.

I don't think that either, which is why I find it extremely stupid, not to mention downright disrespectful to us who want to know more about the album.

It's because apart from Speed of Light the whole album is in reggae style.

Wouldn't surprise me much actually, seeing as of late they've been obsessed (especially Bruce) with the idea of making songs that sound as different from the classic Maiden sound as possible. Just to prove they can.

I'm pretty sure that if you're a big enough fan to shell out $45o or whatever it was for this, you're probably going to come away with a favorable review anyway.

I think the agreement that they likely signed says that they can give their general impression of what they heard but not specific details. This was the case for the fan club member that won a trip to hear the first 4 songs on AMOLAD before the release. I'm sure no reviewer has been paid off, it's probable that the album is just really good! Man the majority of the fans here sure are a cynical lot.

I think of Maiden's catalog as more of a trajectory. Starting with the first album going all the way to Seventh Son they continued to experiment and improve different aspects of their sound. While I think Piece of Mind is the best of the bunch in terms of having the best songs and flow, I don't really consider it their peak because they continued to expand on that sound and make it better.

And then following their decline in the early 90s, this pattern pretty much started again with the X Factor. They established a sound and have been building on it ever since. It's not as clear a pattern since there have been a couple clunkers (Virtual XI, Dance of Death) but these two albums were vital in realizing the direction that would follow. Virtual is very much a precursor to BNW and DoD pretty much set the stage for the next two (and I assume a third) albums.

I definitely agree with trajectory perspective, there is a certain drvelopment or progression which occurred throughout the 80s, whereas the 90s including more of a tangent. I also agree with your thoughts on the factor/virtual. They needed to happen, and there is a lot of that "formula" which, though developed, exist all the way through the reunion period, particulalrly in the Harris solo writing.

So you can't even say that you like it or not? Just something general nothing specific

No kidding!! Reviews of the album are favorable, why is this hard to believe? Stop with the idea of payoffs, or reviewers are afraid to be critical of maiden! This band is incapable of putting out a killer album all of a sudden? Wtf?

No kidding!! Reviews of the album are favorable, why is this hard to believe? Stop with the idea of payoffs, or reviewers are afraid to be critical of maiden! This band is incapable of putting out a killer album all of a sudden? Wtf?
Agreed.

I don't feel there is any need to be pessimistic. Maybe it is just a psychological protection mechanism, ie don't get too excited just in case it doesn't appeal to you personally. Or... tell yourself it's not that great so it gets to exceed your expectations.

Nah, they can still do it....I'm just in fear of another AMOLAD-set up :(

I'm afraid that it will be not as good as I want it to be, dunno why - SOL is amazing.

PlayClassics! What is "AMOLAD setup"?

It's a similar process as when they constructed the hype before AMOLAD, that was designed beforehand to be brainwashed into everybody's mind as a "masterpiece", "their best ever" etc...

My list (listen to them since 1981)

- Powerslave (10)
- Iron Maiden (10)
- Piece of mind (10)
- TNOTB (10)
- SIT (9.8)
- SSOASS (9,8)
- Killers (9,5)
- BNW (9)
- AMOLAD (8,8)
- DOD (8,5)
- TFF (8,2)
- NPFD (8)
- FOTD (7,8)
- X Factor (7)
- Virtual X (6)

Speed of light single (8,8)

Spot on

If we're doing ratings, these are mine:

Iron Maiden - 7.5
Killers - 8.5
TNOTB - 8.5
POM - 7.5
Powerslave - 10
SIT - 10
7th Son - 10
NPFTD - 7.5
FOTD - 7.5
TXF - 7.5
VXI - 6.5
BNW - 8.5
DOD - 7.5
AMOLAD - 9
TFF - 7.5
TBOS - ?

It's a similar process as when they constructed the hype before AMOLAD, that was designed beforehand to be brainwashed into everybody's mind as a "masterpiece", "their best ever" etc...
Nothing strange, at least for me - I work in marketing.

Either way - I like AMOLAD very much so if it's the same level - I will be happy.

To some of us, it is. No brainwashing required.

A band as big as Maiden not doing everything they can to hype up their new album would be ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back