"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So jealous of those at that party!!!

I've been a Maiden head since I first heard them at the age of 13. And like so many I am so excited for the new album.

Opinion Only: For me maiden have never done a duf album, there are ones I'm less keen on, ones I feel are a tad floored in one regard or another and ones which just don't appeal so much. But there isn't one where I don't go through periods of being into or making me think or listen in different ways.

But for me, the albums follow a pattern: stronger, less strong, stronger, less strong. If the blaze era was counted as one (rather than two) this pattern holds up through their entire career for me. All personal taste of course, but for me Killers, PoM, SiT, NPftD, X/I, DoD and TFF are all a bit more experimental and trying new things. Not saying those are not great albums by any means, but I find the albums which sit either side are stronger for. In that pattern, TBoS makes me very hopeful indeed....

Let the slagging of that opinion begin lol

Ps just on the blaze era, I thought there were some great songs. But felt the production really let it down, not just the mix, but the whole capture quality and process.

I've been a Maiden head since I first heard them at the age of 13. And like so many I am so excited for the new album.

Opinion Only: For me maiden have never done a duf album, there are ones I'm less keen on, ones I feel are a tad floored in one regard or another and ones which just don't appeal so much. But there isn't one where I don't go through periods of being into or making me think or listen in different ways.

But for me, the albums follow a pattern: stronger, less strong, stronger, less strong. If the blaze era was counted as one (rather than two) this pattern holds up through their entire career for me. All personal taste of course, but for me Killers, PoM, SiT, NPftD, X/I, DoD and TFF are all a bit more experimental and trying new things. Not saying those are not great albums by any means, but I find the albums which sit either side are stronger for. In that pattern, TBoS makes me very hopeful indeed....

Ps just on the blaze era, I thought there were some great songs. But felt the production really let it down, not just the mix, but the whole capture quality and process.

Typos sorry:
* duff
** flawed

I think of Maiden's catalog as more of a trajectory. Starting with the first album going all the way to Seventh Son they continued to experiment and improve different aspects of their sound. While I think Piece of Mind is the best of the bunch in terms of having the best songs and flow, I don't really consider it their peak because they continued to expand on that sound and make it better.

And then following their decline in the early 90s, this pattern pretty much started again with the X Factor. They established a sound and have been building on it ever since. It's not as clear a pattern since there have been a couple clunkers (Virtual XI, Dance of Death) but these two albums were vital in realizing the direction that would follow. Virtual is very much a precursor to BNW and DoD pretty much set the stage for the next two (and I assume a third) albums.

Could it be that all "professional" reviewers are paid to give excellent opinions, but they silence the fans who listened to it because they don't want anything that could harm album sales out there? Just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back