"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
First impression? Unbelievably bad. Hate the riff, how the vocals sit in the mix and how the drums sounds like a drum machine with the same sample every time. That thing about spontaneity... I think it screwed up the whole thing. It sounds like Adrian's Satellite 15 demo to me. Amateurish and very rough, as a mere sketch of a song.

So where do you rate this as far as post reunion singles are concerned?

I would say wickerman, rainmaker still
a lot better in terms of composition, solos

I think this album will divide fans just like Final Frontier. Those that liked Final Frontier will dig the album immediately and the others will try and make it grow on them

Ok guys, My fav albums are NOTB, BNW and DOD but after not liking the Final Frontier album and now I have listened to Speed Of Light I don't really like it, I mean I was hoping for a Wicker man type vibe but the song just seems like an unfinished demo and the way bruce sings the verses it just sounds off but I will have to wait to listen to the whole album instead of knocking one song but the music video is good though...Remember guys this is just my opinion we all have our fav albums and songs :cheers:

This is a heavy homage to Deep Purple just as Different World was to Thin Lizzy. And just as Different World didn't offer us any clue as to the dark and complex journey that was ahead on AMOLAD I suspect the very same is true here. It always warms my heart to hear Dickinson hit and project tenor C (C5) so well like he does in the chorus of Speed of Light! Shadows in the Stttaaarrrrrrsssssssss!

Most maiden fans like the Steve Harris touch to the songs. Over the years the greatest songs of maiden can be attributed to him. We cant judge the album by this track because it will be the epics that will define the album. Speed of Light is a solid song but i hope things will only get better from here on

Most maiden fans like the Steve Harris touch to the songs. Over the years the greatest songs of maiden can be attributed to him. We cant judge the album by this track because it will be the epics that will define the album. Speed of Light is a solid song but i hope things will only get better from here on

You're absolutely right as far as the difference being that this song hasn't been "Steve-ized." But don't worry - everything I've read from several people who have the album say that The Red and the Black will be exactly what you're looking for!

You're absolutely right as far as the difference being that this song hasn't been "Steve-ized." But don't worry - everything I've read from several people who have the album say that The Red and the Black will be exactly what you're looking for!
Yeah i have big hopes on the epics and also on If Eternity Should Fail because chemical wedding is also a fav of mine. I hope that song is as heavy and dark as Book of Thel.

No goosebumps here. It's ok, but I hope it's the worst song on the album like El Dorado was last time. In fact, this is a lot like a better El Dorado. The intro riff is such hard rock/blues cheese that when they introduced it on Planet Rock and went into this I thought they must be playing one of their little jingles before playing the actual song. They weren't!

Yeah i have big hopes on the epics and also on If Eternity Should Fail because chemical wedding is also a fav of mine. I hope that song is as heavy and dark as Book of Thel.

It sounds like that's what we can expect from If Eternity Should Fail. I think there will be lots of good Harris material laced throughout the epics and the Smith/Harris songs. And apparently Tears of a Clown is a pleasant surprise to many. Then of course we have a journey unlike any we've taken with Empire of the Clouds. Hard to believe we still have 87 minutes left to discover!

No goosebumps here. It's ok, but I hope it's the worst song on the album like El Dorado was last time. In fact, this is a lot like a better El Dorado. The intro riff is such hard rock/blues cheese that when they introduced it on Planet Rock and went into this I thought they must be playing one of their little jingles before playing the actual song. They weren't!

I can definitely understand what you're saying about it being like a better El Dorado. It has the same tone, not necessarily musical tone but the same feel. But just like El Dorado and Different World and Wildest Dreams I don't think it offers even the slightest clue as to the deep and complex journey that lies ahead. Maiden like to pick a first single that doesn't reveal much.

I can definitely understand what you're saying about it being like a better El Dorado. It has the same tone, not necessarily musical tone but the same feel. But just like El Dorado and Different World and Wildest Dreams I don't think it offers even the slightest clue as to the deep and complex journey that lies ahead. Maiden like to pick a first single that doesn't reveal much.

That's definitely true. I'm sure there's going to be some mind-melting stuff on the album, this just isn't it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back