Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Dating other people shows her you've moved on. Best way to show your friendship is to be a friend.

Sounds like you really feel the need to say something though. And if that's the case, do it.
May not have the effect you are looking for - I don't think it will - but it's usually best to follow your conscience.

Sid Vicious!! Good. Also nice to see another young man here :)

Here's the summary of the previous page:

Flash: Ok guys, please advice: What do I do the A, B, or C??
no5: The B man.
Flash: But A is also good and..
Moon Child: Do the B better.
Flash: Yes but the A..
Sixies: I think the B.
Flash: Yes but..
Dog: B is better.
Flash: Ok guys, I did the A

Just like my mother. I definitely like that guy! :D

No objections but then what's the purpose of asking??

ma: hey son what do you want me to cook, fish or chicken??
no5: I'd rather prefer chicken ma'
ma: Yes but you don't eat fish too often and it's so good for the health, it contains phosphor :violin player:
no5: Really I don't fancy fish right now
ma: ok, I'll do you fish

To make yourself sure about the way to go. One fancies an option but asks to hear the arguments supporting the others. If one isn't satisfied, he prefers the option he fancied at first.

It was my purpose anyway.

Don't know if I agree.. Once you know what's the right thing to do, just do it. There are no arguments. Either faith or trust.

To make yourself sure about the way to go. One fancies an option but asks to hear the arguments supporting the others. If one isn't satisfied, he prefers the option he fancied at first.

It was my purpose anyway.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

I'm glad things worked out for the best, Flash. :) It's always good to go with your gut feeling despite what others have to offer. Sorry my advice ended up being botched. I was on my iPod earlier and I misread your post. ::) :lol:

It's always good to go with your gut feeling despite what others have to offer.

A relatively well-known American writer named Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Blink that made this very argument.

But then, one of the most eminent thinkers in the U.S., Judge Richard Posner, wrote a scathing review (here) in which he pointed out that going with your gut rather than the well-reasoned and well-informed approach is probably a horrible way to make decisions.

EDIT: By the way, Gladwell pretty much conceded the argument in his response to Posner's review, which was quoted in New York magazine: “It was a sending a man to do a boy’s work,” he says of Posner’s review. “The guy’s like this legal Einstein, and he’s slumming it with Blink?”

Glad it worked out for Flash, anyway.

How did people do academic studies without the internet, multiple laptops and USB drives?

I relatively well-known American writer named Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Blink that made this very argument.

But then, one of the most eminent thinkers in the U.S., Judge Richard Posner, wrote a scathing review (here) in which he pointed out that going with your gut rather than the well-reasoned approach is a horrible way to make decisions.
It depends on the situation.

It depends on the situation.
Why? In what situations is it a good idea to go with your gut rather than thinking it through? Even if you only have a few seconds to make your choice, why isn't it better to assess the information objectively as fast as you can?

I observe that, in this case, Flash apparently did NOT go with his gut, but weighed the information he had, including his knowledge of the principals involved, and the advice he was given.

I observe that, in this case, Flash apparently did NOT go with his gut, but weighed the information he had, including his knowledge of the principals involved, and the advice he was given.

You beat me to it. Pretty clearly all of us good hearted advisors were the ones using our gut reactions. We have only some knowledge of Flash, and even less knowledge of his friend and their relationship. He made a decision based on his analysis of a situation he has intimate knowledge of. We based our advice on any number of generic situations we may have experienced or observed.

Trust your gut is a misleading term. People often interpret it as following pure emotion, when really it is about acknowledging the conclusion you've come to at your most basic level. It's not about ignoring your emotions, it's about understanding them and the significant role they can play, and taking that into account - not what should be, but what is.

Why? In what situations is it a good idea to go with your gut rather than thinking it through? Even if you only have a few seconds to make your choice, why isn't it better to assess the information objectively as fast as you can?

I'm not saying all situations are good to use your gut instinct. Gut instincts are better suited for minor situations that hardly affect the outcome. Where as if you were to use your gut to make a major, life or death situation, well, that would just be plain stupid.

I'll admit, I probably didn't use the best terminology for Flash's situation. I could have done without the word 'always'. Didn't think before I typed. ::)

A relatively well-known American writer named Malcolm Gladwell wrote a book called Blink that made this very argument.

But then, one of the most eminent thinkers in the U.S., Judge Richard Posner, wrote a scathing review (here) in which he pointed out that going with your gut rather than the well-reasoned and well-informed approach is probably a horrible way to make decisions.

Nope. What I read is how badly Gladwell book's written. Posner does not suggest anything on how we should make decisions, just deconstructs Gladwell's book & arguments in a very rational way.

I think I broke my own sleep record. Good thing the folks at home let me do it.

Oh no, wait. I just remembered I slept once for 15 hours, after a party in 2003.

Back