Dream Theater

I got the CD and DVD today! Metropolis is so amazing so far! And I immediately learned Overture 1928 on guitar. Now it's time for Score.  :yey:

Just finished Metropolis. What an album! I had high expectations but I didn't expect it to be as good as it actually was! The story was awesome too, and had plenty of twists. Especially the ending. I have one question though, how does it relate to Part 1?

I don't really know the story of Part I (which is ironic considering its my favourite song ever :p). The lyrics are awesome though.

SFAM is my second favourite DT album and is in my top 10.

So true.

'Scenes from a Memory' was the first Dream Theater album I bought. I think it's a brilliant, beautiful album. I'll concede that many of the songs don't work individually but when everything is put together the result is amazing. It's a good album to sit back and listen to when one has the time and patience for it. 'Scenes from a Memory' is, in my opinion, Dream Theater's magnum opus.

Just watched the Score doc. It was good, but I wished they would've gone more in depth with the post Awake material. It seems that after Awake they kind of just skimmed through the albums.

Mosh said:
how does it relate to Part 1?

Story: not much at all. Edward is the Miracle, Julian is the Sleeper... but that was sort of forced in there, they had to have a Miracle and a Sleeper.

The story is inspired by the movie Dead Again (1993-ish).

Music: there are many quotes from Metropolis in some songs. Overture, Home and Dance. But the rest of the songs, while related to each other, have no relation to Metropolis.

I'm very happy to have noticed all of the musical references to part 1 in it. I remember you had to point out some of the references to it in Dance of Eternity to me and even then I couldn't hear many of them. I'm much more familiar with that song now. That's too bad the lyrics don't relate to Metropolis, but none the less, it is a good story.

I think it is their best album hands down. It is just a mind blowing album that holds up well through time.

Listening to some WDADU stuff. Afterlife is awesome.  :edmetal: I've been missing out on some good stuff.

Mosh said:
Just watched the Score doc. It was good, but I wished they would've gone more in depth with the post Awake material. It seems that after Awake they kind of just skimmed through the albums.
That was the point. On that tour they played one song from every album (but with more from 'Octavarium' because that was the most recent) becaue it was their 20th anniversary.

I like it! It does a lot more for me than 'On the Backs of Angels'. I've got a question though: James Labrie is definitely capable of singing well, so why does he have to use those weird vocals so often?

MIKE PORTNOY: It's 'Painful' For Me To Hear New DREAM THEATER Music

When asked for his opinion of the DREAM THEATER track "On The Backs Of Angels", the first song to be released with new drummer Mike Mangini (STEVE VAI, ANNIHILATOR, EXTREME), Portnoy said, "It's very difficult for me to hear. Nobody wants to see their ex-wife of 25 years with a new husband moving into the house that you built for 25 years. It's a painful thing for me to hear and see. A DREAM THEATER without me was never in the plan; I never expected that. But they've chosen to move on and I just have to kind of sit on the sidelines and watch and listen. I did hear the song and I heard an excerpt of another song [from the forthcoming DREAM THEATER album]. And I guess I'll reserve comment on those just because whatever I say — whether it be good, bad or indifferent — it's probably gonna come across wrong and it will be completely dissected and misinterpreted. So let's leave it at 'no comment.'"

Sadly that comment is going to come across wrong too, I bet.

I've been waiting to hear something from him about the new DT stuff. Thanks!

Back