Your Maiden blasphemy

Could be a wrong assumption, but I feel like TBOS was the highest anticipated Maiden album in a long time due to Bruce's cancer. Even the most casual fans heard about it and listened to the album because it really could've been their last. I also think it's Maiden's best chart performance ever worldwide (and don't think Senjutsu will beat that). The album tour starting just a year after the news that caused everyone to get scared as hell about Bruce still feels a bit surreal to me.
it was the longest break without an album release too.... until now.... 5 years between TFF and TBOS....

From Virtual XI I really like DLTTEOAS,I would even go as far as saying it's my favourite track on the album.Also the repitiveness in TAATG doesn't bother me in the slightest.In those days (and the early 2000's) I was probably at the height of my fandom so as often the case with music,memories and associations with a certain period of your life play an important role.Looking back on the Blaze years now,also with a more trained/experienced musical ear,surely Blaze's off-key singing (let alone live renditions) does bother me a lot.Musically I still can appreciate Virtual way more than TXF (probably my least favourite Maiden album).

I adore A Real Dead One and A Real Live One. Love them both to bits.
Good! I think that's really good. They mean something to you and that's important :)

I also like Donington 1992 quite a lot. And I adore the Raising Hell VHS video.
I definitely prefer Donington to ARLO/ARDO, but hey, that's fine. A good concert. And everyone knows my opinion on Raising Hell.........

It's great that we have an instrumental from the classic lineup, but I think a proper song instead of ''Losfer Words (Big 'Orra)'' would have made the Powerslave album even better - a song from Dave is what the album is really missing (with one of his trademark slow melodic intros)... a slow song like COTD would have been great imo, because the album is a non-stop riffing and speed (the only Maiden album to be like that!). Or they could have added a 9th song to the album. Good song though.

The Final Frontier is a piece of shit. It's all bad. There's nothing salvageable on there.

Also, the Unbeliever might be one of the greatest Maiden songs... ever. Blood on the World's Hands obviously is, but the Unbeliever might be too. And Justice of the Peace.

And I really like Rod.
I love the Unbeliever, its awesome. Prob my 2nd fav on TXF after SOTC. I wish they'de have played it live.

I love Maiden's music and their live shows but other than that i think they are a very lazy band and have been for years. They really do nothing else for the fans. There's always something wrong with the releases (DOTR DVD, Senjutsu wrong booklet etc). Compared to other huge bands they really don't do a lot for their fans. But saying that i don't really care too much as long as the music and live shows are amazing, which they are, but seeing as this is the blasphemy post....

My Maiden blasphemy is that 'Senjitsu' is a terrible and forgettable album. The problem with it is that it's got far too many songs with either slow or acoustic intros and most of the songs just seem to meander and plod along without picking up, to something more interesting. However 'Death of the Celts, The Parchment, and 'Hell on Earth' were pretty damned good. I wish that they had called it quits after 'Book of Souls', which was a very good album. The reason they should have called it quits after 'Book of Souls' is because of a phenomenal song like 'Empire of the Clouds' which should've been their swan song. Thankfully I downloaded it first, and I definitely won't be buying it.

Last edited:
Lord of the Wolves 78 and prowlergrig.

It turns out that this guy has a rather more considered opinion about Senjutsu than the pair of you.

'5 common criticisim's of Senjutsu - my rebuttal'

It turns out that this guy has a rather more considered opinion about Senjutsu than the pair of you.

I love Nico's videos but he protests too much here. He even undermines his own defence in the harmonies section. Senjutsu is an overlong and ultimately dull album. Not saying it's bad, but it is boring. No amount of charming sophistry from Nico, or howls of outrage from blinkered fanboys who refuse to engage their critical faculties, about how we lesser mortals don't understand the true magnificence of Steve's plodding, samey, interchangeable, cut-and-paste and repeat 'compositions', is gonna change that. Steve, the frustrated film composer, is probably already working on his grandiose versions of the scores to The Last Duel and the new Dune... Oh for the days when Steve's *songs* had memorable riffs, were up tempo and had a bit of groove. Oh dear, this very much reads like blasphemy. ;-)

hey i love Senjutsu, or i wouldn't have taken the time to do my blasphemy.
I discovered this guy through this video, he's pretty great. His blasphemies also sound very nice and, like he almost admits a couple of times, kinda undermine his point. I actually didn't imagine the songs would work with more harmonies before seeing that video haha.

Back