Your Maiden blasphemy

I would like to respond with "Oh, I never heard this argument in the last 30 years so it's quite original but this prancing elf was a better songwriter than Murray in last 20 - 25 years" but I'm better than that. ;)
Too bad that my argument and Janick’s songwriting are equally original. Perhaps I should start exclusively creating posts by cutting and pasting the better sentences from popular posts of the past and mixing up the grammar a little...

Sorry to pull out last year's post. This is not sloppiness, this is perfection.

It was recorded like this, and not against a clicktrack. The bass and drums play together, so separating bass out makes it sloppy because you compare it to a mental click track that lacks every drum accent McBrain does and Harris leans on.

It's sloppy and even out of time at times. Doesn't really matter though, it all came together at the end, which is what matters.

Having listened to Killers in its entirety for the first time yesterday, I realised that Adrian is the weakest link on it. His soloing is only notable by how mediocre it is. If it were not for "The Prisoner", I might say the same for NOTB.

I still stand by saying that "Drifters" is the worst song on Killers.

Having listened to Killers in its entirety for the first time yesterday, I realised that Adrian is the weakest link on it. His soloing is only notable by how mediocre it is. If it were not for "The Prisoner", I might say the same for NOTB.

I still stand by saying that "Drifters" is the worst song on Killers.

I somewhat agree with Killers. H was pretty new to guitarist only role at that point, so it's somewhat understandable.

On the other hand, I disagree with TNOTB. For example COTD was one of the first solos with tapping done by a British guitarist before the whole EVH worship and superstrat era reached the UK.

Adrian picked up the guitar pretty late, I think around 17. It's unsurprising that it took him some time to develop his own sound.

For example COTD was one of the first solos with tapping done by a British guitarist before the whole EVH worship and superstrat era reached the UK.

Forgot about COTD, is indeed a good solo. You're forgetting Priest's "Killing Machine" and "Hell Bent For Leather" solos, Glenn Tipton was using tapping 4 years before NOTB.

Adrian picked up the guitar pretty late, I think around 17. It's unsurprising that it took him some time to develop his own sound.

True, guess I'm so used to his later playing that his earlier style really sticks out in a less-than-favourable way.

Dave Murray came out of the gate with raw talent and was far more impressive on the earlier records. Adrian just gets better with time, like a fine wine or scotch.

If you graphed their progress as musicians over time, Dave’s data would be a straight line and Adrian’s would be an ascending slope.

Dave Murray came out of the gate with raw talent and was far more impressive on the earlier records. Adrian just gets better with time, like a fine wine or scotch.

If you graphed their progress as musicians over time, Dave’s data would be a straight line and Adrian’s would be an ascending slope.
Come on, you have to offer some alcohol and math metaphors for Janick’s ability too...! :ok:

If you graphed their progress as musicians over time, Dave’s data would be a straight line...

Dave is far less consistent than that...
  • Climbing nicely during the eighties, just not as dramatically as Adrian.
  • Staying nicely consistent throughout the early nineties.
  • Bit of a step down on VXI and BNW, but still some nice stuff.
  • Massive decline from Dance of Death on, AMOLAD in particular is pretty poor.
  • Big step up on the Maiden England Tour, listen to "The Trooper" and POTO at Download, I can't believe it's the same guy.
  • Back to VXI/BNW levels for TBOS and the subsequent tours.

Last edited:
Dave's TNOTB solo has been pretty bad in recent years. No fire, just some bluesy stuff, which doesn't fit the song.

Sure, Dave’s straight line has started to decline a bit. He’s like a craft IPA: best consumed fresh. Sure, you can let it sit in your fridge for a year, but it really starts to fall off.

Come on, you have to offer some alcohol and math metaphors for Janick’s ability too...! :ok:

Janick's line would look like a sound wave, up and down but always in motion. He's like tequila: whenever you go for a shot you're not sure if you're going to have the best night of your life or throw up in your friend's face and have the worst hangover ever.

Sure, Dave’s straight line has started to decline a bit. He’s like a craft IPA: best consumed fresh. Sure, you can let it sit in your fridge for a year, but it really starts to fall off.

Janick's line would look like a sound wave, up and down but always in motion. He's like tequila: whenever you go for a shot you're not sure if you're going to have the best night of your life or throw up in your friend's face and have the worst hangover ever.

That's a given with tequilla.

Back