Your Maiden blasphemy

This is somehow less painful than singling out The Book of Souls as the very worst one.

Not really. My sentence could be translated as: "I like 4 albums more than I like BoS". His sentence could be translated as: "I don't have any idea why I'm listening to Maiden for past 20 years."

Is it? Outside of this forum is it really held in that high regard? I don't know about that. From my point of view the Jedi are evil Empire is in a pretty good place. Not forgotten, also not so overhyped I get sick of hearing about it.
Yes, I believe so. I don't remember reading a single Book of Souls review despising it, for example. I recall one which claimed fans would prefer "The Red and the Black" over "Empire", but it still wasn't exactly making little of it. From what I've seen, most seemed to single it out as the highlight of the album.

This.
Not a single bad word about it and every single review pointed that 2nd disc on BoS is superior to 1st one. Not only that, people who I know listen to Maiden were ecstatic about it. There's a guy who's pretty critical and he said he "almost started dancing" when he heard Empire. That was all before I heard Empire. Now, all that hype and my expectations aside, few years later and after numerous listens, not only can I hear anything special, there's a lot of things that I dislike in that one.

I think it has to do with which Maiden albums were deemed popular when you discovered the band. As for me, hardly anything from the reunion tops the 1980-1992 period (I discovered the band in 92-93)... a bit like one may have fondest memories of childhood friends than of adulthood acquaintances (though the latter may be likeable). Anyway, I find this approach more honest and lucid than "rating", sometimes even with decimals (!) since the assessment criteria are subjective.

There's a truth to it, but I don't think it impacts your opinion on album as a whole. You may have fond memories on a song or two (my guilty pleasure is Weekend Warrior) but if you take a step back you'll notice you can still differentiate albums putting "fondness" aside. If that was the case, my look on reunion albums would either go as downward or upward curve and that definitely isn't a case. (it's more wobbly).

Also, I agree that putting decimals on how much you like the songs is ludicrous.

Not really. My sentence could be translated as: "I like 4 albums more than I like BoS". His sentence could be translated as: "I don't have any idea why I'm listening to Maiden for past 20 years."
But that's exactly why your posts hits harder. @Gk1 just doesn't like the route Maiden chose to take in more recent years; you do, and you singled out The Book of Souls as the worst one from this era (it was my favorite of the five for a long time, now it's my second favorite). It's more of a "take it ot leave it" situation, where anything in the middle turns out being worse than any of the extremes.

But that's exactly why your posts hits harder. @Gk1 just doesn't like the route Maiden chose to take in more recent years; you do, and you singled out The Book of Souls as the worst one from this era (it was my favorite of the five for a long time, now it's my second favorite). It's more of a "take it ot leave it" situation, where anything in the middle turns out being worse than any of the extremes.

I see what you're trying to say now, makes sense. Still, it's hard to believe you like nothing they did in past 20 years.

On Dance of Death brick-walling or whatever is it called: I got so used to it that when Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg came out, I was so disappointed with their sound. It just sounded so... poor, dry, IDK, but after massiveness of DoD, AMOLAD was surely different. I know this has been posted before, but here's a video what I'm speaking of for newer posters.

I don't know if this really is a blasphemy but I surely haven't heard anyone ever say this:
Isle of Avalon's chorus is the catchiest and most melodic thing Maiden ever wrote. Especially the longer chorus later in the song.
It fits easily into the top of my best choruses-list.

Isle of Avalon is my favorite song from The Final Frontier and in my opinion is the most epic thing Adrian Smith ever wrote. I love the story it tells, lyrically and musically. Would love to hear it live. (Not holding my breath for that, though.)

Isle of Avalon is my favorite song from The Final Frontier and in my opinion is the most epic thing Adrian Smith ever wrote. I love the story it tells, lyrically and musically. Would love to hear it live. (Not holding my breath for that, though.)
I would really love to here it too, but I think it's one of those songs that have 0% chance to ever get played. Alexander the Great is more likely than that.

I don't know if this really is a blasphemy but I surely haven't heard anyone ever say this:
Isle of Avalon's chorus is the catchiest and most melodic thing Maiden ever wrote. Especially the longer chorus later in the song.
It fits easily into the top of my best choruses-list.
"Isle" isn't one of Maiden's best overall but I love the vivid and descriptive lyrics it has. That chorus is pretty strong, yeah.

Back