Your Maiden blasphemy

I don't seem to have many unpopular opinions when it comes to Iron Maiden. In general I like all the classic albums and songs and the albums I find weaker are the ones a majority find weaker.

The only "blasphemies" if they can be considered so that I have are that I consider Janick an important element in the band that has contributed to many great songs and that I consider that in hindsight once the band has retired this will be considered their classic line up and their classic era (from Brave New World till future retirement assuming they don't change line up anymore)

Maiden blasphemy thread and last 10 pages are about Janick. Sad...
So, let me spice this up a bit.

What probably has been said in this thread before: Empire of the Clouds is overrated.
What probably hasn't been said in this thread before: Book of Souls is the worst out of reunion albums.

btw, Steve plays totally sloppy in studio, just listen to this

or this: https://tinyurl.com/ya7mr54m

However, it all comes together nicely, and even gives it that special flavour
Same with Janick

Sorry to pull out last year's post. This is not sloppiness, this is perfection.

It was recorded like this, and not against a clicktrack. The bass and drums play together, so separating bass out makes it sloppy because you compare it to a mental click track that lacks every drum accent McBrain does and Harris leans on.

It was recorded like this, and not against a clicktrack. The bass and drums play together, so separating bass out makes it sloppy because you compare it to a mental click track that lacks every drum accent McBrain does and Harris leans on.

Off topic, but is it just me or do you also think that Steve wrote the bass lines on the songs he didn't write. Powerslave, Revelations, Icarus chorus, SIASL... It always seems that those tracks have busier bass lines.

Best bass line ever recorded

Off topic, but is it just me or do you also think that Steve wrote the bass lines on the songs he didn't write. Powerslave, Revelations, Icarus chorus, SIASL... It always seems that those tracks have busier bass lines.

I'd say Steve writes the bass lines as much as the guitarists write the solos.

I think that his bass lines are busier on other peoples songs can be looked at in two ways depending on how charitable/critical you are being, either a) he's so inspired by other people work or b) it's not his song but he's determined to put his own mark on it either way.

A third interpretation, and in my view the most likely one, is he can just focus on playing the bass on an other persons song rather than having to worry about anything else.

Of course he did. Bruce didn't write Powerslave solos either.

I think that his bass lines are busier on other peoples songs can be looked at in two ways depending on how charitable/critical you are being, either a) he's so inspired by other people work or b) it's not his song but he's determined to put his own mark on it either way.

It's probably a bit of variant A and the rest is normal song development. I only heard Smith once being critical of Harris' contribution, he had a bit of a relief approval when Eddie Casillas played 2MTM in a lower octave. But that's arrangement issue, not the "busy" thing.

Besides, free bass play undernath the solo sections of Smith songs only enhances the section itself, and therefore the song :)

Regarding 2MTM drum/bass combo I played that to a friend whos a casual fan. Ofc he was immediately caught by the quality of the play but at first chorus he also commented how "these two" carry the song by themselves.

Regarding 2MTM drum/bass combo I played that to a friend whos a casual fan. Ofc he was immediately caught by the quality of the play but at first chorus he also commented how "these two" carry the song by themselves.

I listened to the whole thing through there, I wish I could give the post more than 1 like. There's a great part in the 3rd measure of Dave's solo where he plays 1 different note just for the sake of it, amazing subtelty, just one different note that makes all the difference.

I listened to the whole thing through there, I wish I could give the post more than 1 like. There's a great part in the 3rd measure of Dave's solo where he plays 1 different note just for the sake of it, amazing subtelty, just one different note that makes all the difference.
These days, when played live, he plays it different though, repeating the note in question on the 2nd and 4th part, rather than just the 3rd part ;)

All the reunion albums kind of suck though
I think it has to do with which Maiden albums were deemed popular when you discovered the band. As for me, hardly anything from the reunion tops the 1980-1992 period (I discovered the band in 92-93)... a bit like one may have fondest memories of childhood friends than of adulthood acquaintances (though the latter may be likeable). Anyway, I find this approach more honest and lucid than "rating", sometimes even with decimals (!) since the assessment criteria are subjective.

Anyway, "No More Lies" sucks... :D

Reactions: Gk1
Back