Your Maiden blasphemy

Yeah I should’ve been more specific. I think that SiT as a whole has a fantastic sci-fi feel but the drumming isn’t as imaginative as it was on Powerslave and POM.

Last edited:
The honky, thin sounding Powerslave guitars aren't my cup of tea, frankly. Nor are the drums, which sound more like tin cans of varying sizes than toms.
The worst drums sound is on X factor and Virtual XI.
Don't even sound like drums, more like someone is slapping their jandals on an empty paint can.

The drumming on The X Factor is huge. I like it. Virtual XI does have some pretty bad stuff on it, though.

Somewhere in Time and Brave New World are probably my favorite studio drum sounds of Nicko's, although for individual components I think over time his Tom sound has become more bland and similar, while his Bass drum was difficult to hear during the 80s. His snare is nearly always excellent, particularly so on AMOLAD.

Rock in Rio remains my favorite drum sound of anyone ever.

TXF's drum sound isn't what I'd call great, but it is okay. It kinda sounds like somebody playing drums in another room if you have the album on and go grab a snack in the kitchen or something. VXI I agree is absolutely horrendous. But then again everything on that album sounds like shit.

Reactions: Jer
Not a fan of solos on The Book Of Souls album, except for H's solo in the title song.
The same for TFF album, except for the H's solos in Coming Home and WTWWB.

So what you're essentially telling us is that you like H's solos? I don't think that's usually considered a blasphemy ;).
We all like H's solos. It's just that I don't like solos from those two records in general, no matter if it's Jan, Dave or H. Couldn't find any solo that would consider as memorable... Except couple of these I mentioned, played by H.

I don't think this is a "blasphemy" but I think Piece of Mind is the best sounding Iron Maiden album. Best guitar tone, best production and best vocal performance by Bruce.

Back