Your Maiden blasphemy

I'd actually argue that Dave is worse than Janick nowadays, and Dave is my favourite.

Don't get me wrong, Dave still plays some decent solos but he was on fire from the early days right through to Brave New World, probably peaking around the late 80s - early 90s. Since the reunion I don't think he's played a truly great solo outside of Benjamin Breeg. There was a brief time when the old brilliance returned around Maiden England 2013 but sadly that didn't carry over onto The Book of Souls.

As we have discussed several times Janicks songs have been the backbone to the reunion era.
04f4cda650c7fe693905a0ff83aef566.jpg

I value songwriting above everything. Id ratger have someone wrting killer tunes and decent solos (Janick) then someone writing killer solos and decent songs (Dave). As we have discussed several times Janicks songs have been the backbone to the reunion era.
I generally agree with this although even a lot of Janick’s solos are stronger than Dave’s on recent albums.

Haha okey so you are denying Dance Of Deaths importance? Or The Book Of Souls, the last albums centerpiece and thematic heart? Granted you don't have to like the tracks, but would you not say they are important?
The most important song on TBOS was Empire of the Clouds; while The Book of Souls is indeed the centerpiece, I would argue that Bruce’s contributions were of more worth.

Reactions: jcv
The most important song on TBOS was Empire of the Clouds; while The Book of Souls is indeed the centerpiece, I would argue that Bruce’s contributions were of more worth.

Yes Id agree on the last record as a whole for sure, but what I meant was over the reunion era as a whole, Janicks writing contributions have been extremly important.

Yes Id agree on the last record as a whole for sure, but what I meant was over the reunion era as a whole, Janicks writing contributions have been extremly important.
I don’t disagree, but I wouldn’t say his stuff is outright the most important. Important yes, but the others have brought a bunch of important stuff to the table as well.

Haha okey so you are denying Dance Of Deaths importance? Or The Book Of Souls, the last albums centerpiece and thematic heart? Granted you don't have to like the tracks, but would you not say they are important?
Let's take a look at Gers's track record in the reunion era.

Great songs:
  • Ghost Of The Navigator
  • Out Of The Silent Planet
  • The Talisman
  • The Book Of Souls
Songs with great ambitions but flawed execution:
  • Dream Of Mirrors
  • Dance Of Death
Songs that are good, but not great:
  • Montsegur
  • The Pilgrim
  • The Legacy
  • Shadows Of The Valley
Songs that are merely OK:
  • The Mercenary
  • Gates Of Tomorrow
  • The Alchemist
I would argue that only the first four and "Dance Of Death" could be considered important tracks on their respective albums (I know some would argue for "The Legacy" or maybe even "Montsegur" as well, but I wouldn't). And out of all of those, only "Dance Of Death" and "The Book Of Souls" (and maybe "The Talisman") could be considered "backbone" songs on their respective albums, IMO.

I won't deny that Janick's done much better during the reunion era than during the previous albums, but it is a huge stretch to claim that Janick has been the "backbone of the reunion era". Think of all the best songs from this era, and how many of them are actually on the list above?

Actually, this is the correct arrangement of those songs:

Perfect songs:
  • Out of the Silent Planet
  • The Legacy
Great songs:
  • The Mercenary
  • Dream of Mirrors
  • Gates of Tomorrow
Very good songs:
  • Montségur
  • The Pilgrim
  • The Talisman