Your Maiden blasphemy

Agreed. Bruce was struggling as he was burnt out beyond belief and the guitars sound very thin and harsh.

Powerslave was my number one album at one point, but it has dropped quite significantly. Aces, Duelists, Powerslave and Rime are all killer, BITV and FOTB have their moments but are mostly just "fine" and 2MTM and Losfer Words aren't all that. My dislike of 2MTM is probably another blasphemy.
2MTM never did that much for me either. I've recently come to appreciate the pre-chorus and its obviously got some great lyrics but thats about it.
Oh and the trooper isn't in my top 50 either.

Sit has the worst tone of all the maiden albums.

tenor.gif

The reverb-drenched guitartone on SiT definitely serves its purpose and creates a very spacy sound, but it's still the one I prefer second-least (after the debut) from the 80's.
And while I'm at it, lemme bash it some more: I'd rather listen to any of the four so-called "fillers" on Powerslave than any SiT-song besides Caught Somewhere in Time and Sea of Madness :D

powerslave has the best production and tone of all the maiden albums. Sit has the worst tone of all the maiden albums.
The honky, thin sounding Powerslave guitars aren't my cup of tea, frankly. Nor are the drums, which sound more like tin cans of varying sizes than toms.

The concert tom sound just doesn't do it for me, I'm afraid. That's exactly what they sound like to my ears, tinny and poorly resonant.

And besides, the only tin can on St. Anger is the snare. The toms were obviously fine. Powerslave's sound is basically inverse, the snare sounds good but the toms are tinny. PoM's toms are soft and undefined in comparison, but because they have resos on they still sound like normal toms.

Powerslave has the best drum sound of possibly any album ever, maybe with the exception of Symbolic, Sound of Perseverance, and Call of the Wretched Sea. It’s awesome.

I'm partial to SiT's drum sound. It's a bit too reverb-y and the bass drum is a little lost in the mix like on most 80's Maiden albums, but other than that I think it's fantastic.

BNW sound is flat for me and not interesting at all. After buying the album I listen to it only twice and I prefer RiR versions.

Number of the beast is not only the worst Maiden album it’s the worst album by any band ever! Even skunkworks and st. Anger are above this utter turd of an album. :D

Back