Your Maiden blasphemy

I don't think there's a thread like this, I did have a look but I couldn't see anything. So, what's an opinion you have about Maiden that may be unpopular with other people...

Mine is that I don't think Somewhere In Time is that good of an album. I've tried to listen to it, multiple times, but it's never clicked. Although, Alexander The Great, Wasted Years and Heaven Can Wait are great tracks.

:)

Agree with you, IMHO this album is overrated. But the songs *I* like are the title track, Stranger in a Strange Land, and the great Sea of Madness.

The textbook recitation lyrics of Alexander the Great takes the other parts of what would have been a great song and pretty much ruins it. Great chorus, great music, but a song that rightly was never played live.

The reunion albums have been mostly bad, except BNW.

Maiden just don't care about their UK fans anymore. They only do tours every 4-5 years promoting a new CD, playing stuff most would rather not hear. US & other Europeon countries got proper tours for SBIT and ME.
Back in the day IM used to play two nights just at the Birmingham NEC, packed with hits.

It annoys me they still get away with this, largely because the press never criticise them because IM sell the magazines for them.

I do think that Iron Maiden have been pandering to Latin America way too much since Bruce returned to the band, but I think it's unfair to say that they don't care about the UK fans.

I do think that Iron Maiden have been pandering to Latin America way too much since Bruce returned to the band, but I think it's unfair to say that they don't care about the UK fans.

If you look at the actual distances, I'm sure fans in Latin America still have to travel further on average to get to a Maiden gig than UK fans. Even if the band only play London, a trip from Scotland, in terms of distance, cost (compared with salaries) and ease must surely be better than a trip from, say, the north coast of Colombia into Bogota. Since Ed Force One, Maiden have turned from being a band that plays the US, Europe, Japan and the odd South American festival, into a band that can reach parts of South America and Asia that others can't.

I'm British and would love a full British tour, but I understand that the band are not going to play 150+ gigs any more. Therefore I'm happy to travel across the UK if necessary and know that fans in Chile, or Ecuador, or India can see the band as well.

You're absolutely right about the travel distances and it's not the number of shows they do that irritates me when it comes to Latin America. Since Bruce returned to the band they've done three DVDs from Latin America (Flight 666 was mostly in Latin America) instead of spreading things across the globe. Maiden are a global band and while they shouldn't be focusing solely on their home fanbase, they shouldn't be focusing on their Latin American fanbase either.

True, but if you look at both the relative and absolute amount of gigs, Maiden have toured Europe heavier than any other part of the world, with North America being second.

More people in Europe and North America can afford to go to big concerts than they can in Latin America, and I suspect the venues and public transport are of a better standard as well.

That they'll tour Europe and North America more extensively anyway. I'm not sure what your point was though, as my previous point was about the number of DVD releases from Latin America and yours was about number of shows. :p

This is the internet. There is no point.

All I know is this: Maiden hasn't played Denver in support of a new album since BNW, 14 years ago. Up to that point, we were on every US tour. Since then, we've only gotten cabaret shows (and not even all of them). Outside of the coasts and a small handful of major cities, the rest of the US can say the same. I'm happy the South Americans got their shows; now can Maiden play new stuff in the US, please?

You're absolutely right about the travel distances and it's not the number of shows they do that irritates me when it comes to Latin America. Since Bruce returned to the band they've done three DVDs from Latin America (Flight 666 was mostly in Latin America) instead of spreading things across the globe. Maiden are a global band and while they shouldn't be focusing solely on their home fanbase, they shouldn't be focusing on their Latin American fanbase either.

I don't think you can call Flight 666 a Latin American DVD, it clearly documents a whole leg of a tour that takes in four(?) continents. So, I'd say, since the reunion, they've done two Latin American DVDs, one European one and one mixed one. If you go back to include LAD and ME, that takes the count to one North American, two European and two Latin American with one mixed. Not sure what any of this proves though!

Back