Your Maiden blasphemy

I don't think many people here have much issue with Gangland. It's a pretty good song, not bad at all. Although Total Eclipse should've made it on the album instead. I have no idea what they were thinking there.

They might have been thinking: while the verses/chorus of Total Eclipse are great, the intro/outro riff is slow and clunkly. It's got so much stop-start that it kills any energy or momentum you've got going. As a complete song, Total Eclipse is seriously flawed. Gangland, OTOH, might not be especially remarkable, but it is at least consistently energetic.

Steve immediatly regretted his choice in favour of Gangland. SMX's explanation makes sense, but I also suspect this has something to do with the desire to let more space for other writers. Clive kept complaining about his songs being refused by Steve, so Harry might have decided to let a song make it on the album. I remember clearly having thought at the time that Gangland was the first bad song Maiden had released.

I seem to recall reading that they did originally intend to have Total Eclipse on the album, but Gangland was one of the (if not the?) first songs they recorded, and they liked the take so much they said "Well we've just got to put that on!" and bumped Eclipse off.

Total Eclipse is a great song. If it would've been put on the album it'd be on the top half for me. It's definitely better than (at least) RTTH, Invaders, Gangland, and maybe The Prisoner.

Total Eclipse is a great song. If it would've been put on the album it'd be on the top half for me. It's definitely better than (at least) RTTH, Invaders, Gangland, and maybe The Prisoner.

Remove The Prisoner from that list and I agree. Prisoner is my 3rd favourite song from the album, after Hallowed and Children of the Damned. The rest: Title track, 22 Acacia Avenue, RTTH, Invaders, Gangland. Total Eclipse would fit in between 22 and RTTH.

If they had to leave one off, Total Eclipse was the right choice.
Mediocre by Maiden standards.
At least Gangland sounds like nothing else..

Yes Collin, he mentionned those two songs. But he only loves four songs out of Powerslave, so maybe he is not his best judge.

As much as I admire him, I disagree with his choice : 2 Minutes is an average song, while The Duellists and Losfer Words are fantastic. And Back in the Village is a really great song, with a very special feel (I consider this the very first proof that Smith is a great songwriter, only topped by Harris and Murray). The only song I really dislike is Flash of the Blade, because of that intrumental bit. Dickinson really can't write good instrumental parts on his own.

2 Minutes is an average song,

o_O

while The Duellists and Losfer Words are fantastic.

:lol:

And Back in the Village is a really great song,

gefuehle_0168.gif

I consider this the very first proof that Smith is a great songwriter,

gefuehle_0192.gif

Dickinson really can't write good instrumental parts on his own.

gefuehle_0151.gif

Back