Your Maiden blasphemy

Kauha-Apina said:
And, I love repetitive choruses. I think they're Maiden's trademark, kind of like Slayer has those crazy atonal solos.

No wonder you find albums like VXI and DOD better than FOTD. ;)

A bit more seriously: these two albums feature more repetive parts than the average Maiden album. On DOD not per se repetitive choruses but there are surely repetitive parts.

Oh, I also like Don't look to the eyes of a stranger, when two worlds collide, and the educated fool.

I don't really rate Somewhere in Time that high. It is, in my opinion, their second worst album. But it seems I'm not alone in liking The Angel and the Gambler - I f'ing love it.

Virtual XI is Maidens best non-Bruce album.

Reactions: jcv
not keen on from here to eternity but i love with a capital L hooks in you. I honestly can't believe that anyone would prefer virtual xi over iron maiden or killers

Forostar said:
Most people like this song.

If you would give this song an 8 or higher, than you are indeed part of a minority of this forum.
If you would give a 6 or 7, then you don't have to mention it in this topic: most people who voted did that.
I would give it an 8. I think it should've gone on the album instead of gangland.

I have several. I think Paschendale is absolutely overated, and most of all that Adrian is overated as a songwriter. I love Quest for Fire. I hate Revelations (pretentious song, with ridiculous lyrics and boring music). I just can't understand all the interest in Starblind. And, last but not least, I absolutely dislike Dickinson (not his voice of course, but his pedantistic and pretentious behaviour : no, your not a "Renaissance man", your just an undergraduate who would have liked to be a scholar, liked to be a songwriter, liked to be a band leader, but failed in all matters. Just focus a little bit, and maybe you will succeed in doing something really great, not just fighting to be in center stage).

Dickinson is a great songwriter, a leader of one of the most successful mid-late '90s metal bands, i can't say that he's a scholar but he's surely a smart fella. So you go somewhere else to spit your biased hate.

Besides, Adrian is the second music songwriter in Maiden.
Oh, you want 2 minute intro/outro and endless Em-D-C picking? Thank god that Adrian does a really lot of music writing work on latter albums because Steve tends to overuse his patterns. So does Janick, and so does Dave. Their songs are great because they don't come in numbers.

If Adrian stopped writing for Maiden, we'd get same two albums in a row with already established patterns and progressions.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but you're dead wrong.

Oh, on topic : my "blasphemy" is that i really don't dig Number Of The Beast. Quite possibly it's in my bottom 3.
I don't hate any Maiden song or album, and i wouldn't rate any of their songs below 4 / 10.

virtual xi over iron maiden or killers

I do. I'm not too fond of the early days. Both periods, '90s and early days, pale in comparison with '83-'88 and '00s.
Lightning Strikes Twice alone kills all Killers.

Of course, there's a historical background why IM & Killers are "better" and more recognized than TXF or VXI.

I too think the X Factor is a bit overrated and like Cornfedhick I think the Final Frontier is OK. It drops a ton after starblind.
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this about TFF. The last three tracks are just not up to the standard of the others.

To be honest, I feel secure and comfortable enough with my taste that I don't really compare it to what other people think. I suppose my greatest "blasphemy" is that I don't like The Duellists and think The Alchemist is the worst song on the new album.

No Prayer For The Dying used to be my favorite album. And I still think Hooks in You is a great song. Oh and this isn't blasphemy but I just realized that I hate FOTD so much I have never listened to it all the way through. (It's been so long I couldn't tell you what the title track sounds like.)

Zare said:
Dickinson is a great songwriter, a leader of one of the most successful mid-late '90s metal bands, i can't say that he's a scholar but he's surely a smart fella. So you go somewhere else to spit your biased hate.

Come on,dont't be so serious ! It's a blasphemy thread, so I thought that being over the top would be allright. And I don't hate Dickinson : I took care to say that I dislike him and his attitude, which is not hatred. You're right saying that he has been a band leader, but it's obvious to anyone that the band he would have liked to lead is Maiden, and this is clearly the reason he left in the early 90s.

Fair enough. If that is your opinion. Just don't diss the almighty H anymore.

Perun said:
To be honest, I feel secure and comfortable enough with my taste that I don't really compare it to what other people think.

Hmm, should interest in other's opinions on Maiden songs be an insecure and uncomfortable business?
Since LC has resurrected the song topics, it has been a natural thing to not only post, but also to read.

Just like any other topic.

I have never liked the artwork for Killers or Piece of Mind (and reluctantly purchased both pairs of sneakers in order to complete the set).

Not a fan of Paschendale or The Clairvoyant. Love Can I Play With Madness. 

Back