Your Maiden blasphemy

Eddies Wingman said:
When it comes to Quest for Fire ...

... I'm quite shocked whenever I see people mentioning it among their "worst 10 Maiden songs".

I will not make myself more popular when I say the following, but I always think of such people that they lack melodic sense.

Speaking of Alexander the Great, I forget what the consensus is here, but I HATE it, from the lyrics to the music, just doesn't do it for me.

I agree with you about poor lyrics. Lyrics WILL make or break a song for me, though more often than not if the music is good enough I'll excuse them.

Songs I Like: New Frontier, sun and Steel, Total Eclipse
Songs I Despise: All of Fear of The Dark (except ATSS) The Talisman. The Final Frontier

I too think the X Factor is a bit overrated and like Cornfedhick I think the Final Frontier is OK. It drops a ton after starblind.

Invaders is one of Maiden's strongest openers. Better than both Where Eagles Dare and Aces High, by a long shot.

Journeyman is a waste of time. The electric version is much better than the album version.

SinisterMinisterX said:
forgot about that one. Better than Aces High, yes, better than Where Eagles Dare? No,

I think the Talisman is one of the worst songs of Maiden of the last 20 years, I think Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is the worst song with Bruce on vocals, and I think Hooks in You and Public Enema are awesome.

I might be the only Maiden fan on the planet that thinks Rime of the Ancient Mariner is nothing special. Never particularly liked it from the first time I heard it when the album was released. Still don't, although some of the guitar work is good. The Angel and the Gambler is a guilty pleasure for me, even though I find it's repetitive chorus as annoying as everyone else. There's no accounting for some people's tastes...

taker64 said:
I might be the only Maiden fan on the planet that thinks Rime of the Ancient Mariner is nothing special. Never particularly liked it from the first time I heard it when the album was released. Still don't, although some of the guitar work is good.
You aren't the only one  :D

I have several. I think Paschendale is absolutely overated, and most of all that Adrian is overated as a songwriter. I love Quest for Fire. I hate Revelations (pretentious song, with ridiculous lyrics and boring music). I just can't understand all the interest in Starblind. And, last but not least, I absolutely dislike Dickinson (not his voice of course, but his pedantistic and pretentious behaviour : no, your not a "Renaissance man", your just an undergraduate who would have liked to be a scholar, liked to be a songwriter, liked to be a band leader, but failed in all matters. Just focus a little bit, and maybe you will succeed in doing something really great, not just fighting to be in center stage).

harrisdevot said:
I have several. I think Paschendale is absolutely overated, and most of all that Adrian is overated as a songwriter. I love Quest for Fire. I hate Revelations (pretentious song, with ridiculous lyrics and boring music). I just can't understand all the interest in Starblind. And, last but not least, I absolutely dislike Dickinson (not his voice of course, but his pedantistic and pretentious behaviour : no, your not a "Renaissance man", your just an undergraduate who would have liked to be a scholar, liked to be a songwriter, liked to be a band leader, but failed in all matters. Just focus a little bit, and maybe you will succeed in doing something really great, not just fighting to be in center stage).

Hey! :mad:
You guys said Steve Harris never visits this forum.  :innocent:

I LOVE QUEST FOR FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  There......I said it.  I find Bring your Daughter embarrassing and cannot listen to it.  Also overrated: Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, and Starblind.  I like Starblind, but it is my 3rd least favorite on FF, barely ahead of El Dorado and the title track.  Totally underrated; New Frontier, Montsegur, and Losfer words Big Ora.

I really love Age of Innocence, beatiful chorus (if a little cheesy), and I love the verses too.

I'll have to think on that second one.

Amazing thread !

- I like Quest for Fire more than 2 other Piece of Mind songs.
- Moonchild is overrated it's just 7th in my SSoaSS standings.
- No Prayer for the Dying is a great album. Besides some really bad songs (Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter, Hooks in You (the worst Maiden song ever in my opinion etc.)
- Fear of the Dark is the worst Iron Maiden album by a fucking mile.
- I like Age of Innocence.
- Isle of Avalon is overrated. It's good but not great.
- When the Wild Wind Blows is just the fifth best song on TFF.
- I love Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger.

harrisdevot said:
I love Quest for Fire. I hate Revelations (pretentious song, with ridiculous lyrics and boring music).
just noticed this statement and I'm speechless.

The Knife Master said:
Songs I Like: ...  , Total Eclipse

Most people like this song.

If you would give this song an 8 or higher, than you are indeed part of a minority of this forum.
If you would give a 6 or 7, then you don't have to mention it in this topic: most people who voted did that.

I think TFF is the worst album since Fear of the Dark. Ok, it has no bad songs, but not anything great either. Isle of Avalon and The Talisman are pretty awesome, but pretty much every track from BNW and AMOLAD beats those two.

And, I love repetitive choruses. I think they're Maiden's trademark, kind of like Slayer has those crazy atonal solos.

Back