Your Maiden blasphemy

Discussion in 'Maiden Chat' started by mckindog, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

Yeah, like I’ve said a lot, there’s a difference between having “good” production and sounding good anyway.

Formula409 likes this.
  2. Formula409

Formula409 Invader

True. And of course what sounds good is a subjective opinion.

But in my opinion, TXF sounds just right. The fact that it’s quieter and more dynamic than other Maiden records is not a sign of bad production.

EDIT: It’s a bit funny that AMOLAD, which wasn’t mastered at all, has so much less dynamics than TXF. Usually during mastering at least a certain amount of compression is added to squash the signal and make it louder. I love the way AMOLAD sounds as well, but it seems like everything was already at 11 with the recording and final mix.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Diesel 11 likes this.
  3. Gk1

Gk1 Ancient Mariner

I get that we for whatever reason might like specific albums. I also get that we all have our own opinions about production and sound. However I don't get why we need to have so irrational talks about things that are self evident and even a child can understand.

4. Diesel 11

Diesel 11 As you scream into the web of silence...

?

KidInTheDark666 likes this.
  5. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

I agree that The X Factor doesn't sound bad at all, but I think No Prayer sounds better.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Formula409 likes this.
  6. KidInTheDark666

KidInTheDark666 What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too

All of those three albums sound great. Maiden doesn't even have an album that doesn't sound good other than the debut.

7. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Virtual XI says hi.

Edington likes this.
  8. Formula409

Formula409 Invader

Yeah, VXI is pretty lame sounding. Raspy guitars, bass too low, etc...

I would also say that Dance of Death really isn’t that great sound-wise.

9. KidInTheDark666

My favorite guitar sound after SIT, Seventh Son and POM.

Bombusbombus likes this.
  10. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

You're literally the only person I've ever known who likes the guitar sound on that album.

11. phantomoftheicarus

phantomoftheicarus Nobody can ever hear him call

I'd say that TXF has pretty poor production but I listened to it through some new earphones yesterday and I didn't sound half as bad as usual nor that bad in general, so I think it all depends what youre listening through for that album

12. KidInTheDark666

I think that @Kalata likes it too.

Kalata likes this.
  13. Formula409

Formula409 Invader

There’s nothing wrong with the lead sounds, but the rhythm guitars just have an overemphasis on some midrange frequencies that make it less than great to my ears.

14. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

The only guitar part I like on that album is the intro from "Don't Look to the Eyes of a Stranger".

15. Kalata

Kalata Out of the Silent Planet

VXI has an amazing warm guitar sound. The most melodic album of the band - which is something that I really love. :)

16. KidInTheDark666

100% agreed:)

Kalata likes this.
  17. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

Not. Even. Close.

Jer and frus like this.
  18. Kalata

Kalata Out of the Silent Planet

Oh. Yes. It. Is.

19. MrKnickerbocker

MrKnickerbocker clap hands

Maiden have had one well-produced, amazing-sounding album since Martin Birch left and that is Brave New World. Everything else runs the gamut from muddy, to dull, to lacking any sonic dynamics at all. It's honestly more impressive when they record a brilliant song now because we can all still hear that song as being brilliant even through the muck.

Spambot and Jer like this.
  20. Number 6

Number 6 Ancient Mariner

I prefer the sound of A Matter of Life and Death to that of Brave New World. Plus the snare is the best I've heard on any album ever.