Your Maiden blasphemy

John Silver

Electric Buddy
Apparently half the posters in this thread do, because pointing out its quirks prompts the MJGA mob to reach for the tar and feathers.

When did the world get so thin-skinned...?

Reductive, passive-aggressive comments directed at people supposedly on your ignore list. Very classy.

News flash: There are people in the world that will disagree with you. This is OK, and it doesn’t make them bad, or inferior, or worthy of baseless attacks. This is a core tenet of free speech that everyone should embrace.

Perhaps we should rename this thread “Janick Fan Safe Space”.
No, please continue @Jer - don't let the dementors derail you. They just don't like being pulled out of their spam threads to deal with real contrary opinions.

Reactions: Jer

Welsh Phantom

Ancient Mariner
It's quite Ironic really that the people who accuse others of not accepting someone else's viewpoint feel the need to go on and on and on in tedious posts repeating the same thing over and over (but using different words) just because someone else does not agree.

This is not specifically aimed at either camp btw

Just move on folks, knowing that you hold and have communicated your own views.

Opinions are like arseholes (we all have one and think everyone else's stinks etc)

Merry Xmas Maiden Brothers and Sisters (we are all in the Maiden family after all) :)

Bugger moving on; Jer was being deliberately contrary! :p
If you could explain how it’s arrogant to essentially say “I’m not very good, but this arguably sounds worse than what I could do”, I’d be eager to hear it.
It's no biggie, but this (^) is literally a textbook example of arrogance i.e. "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities." Jer basically said he's "not very good" at playing guitar, but Janick "sounds worse than what I could do". I'd say that's talking up one's own abilities beyond reality. Or... the only other explanation is that he's not overestimating his own abilities (as a guitar player) but is massively & deliberately underestimating Janick's. Neither of those views are particularly endearing. I'd also say it's needlessly disrespectful to Janick. And the only irony here would be if Cried failed to sense Jer's tongue-in-cheek throughout this discussion. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not really feeling it...

Last edited:

Jer

Cannibal Of Rust
The only other explanation is that he's not overestimating his own abilities (as a guitar player) but is massively & deliberately underestimating Janick's.
This one is the closest to the truth. I would disagree with the characterization that I’m deliberately underestimating his abilities — it’s more that the end result, deliberate or not on Janick’s part, is often indistinguishable from the mistakes of an amateur. Others obviously disagree with that assessment, which is fine.

My main sticking points were that I pointed to some objective elements of the recordings that I felt supported my point of view, and that led to a wide variety of hysterical responses ranging from insistence that those things weren’t actually in the recording, to accusations that I was claiming Janick was “objectively bad” (which I was very explicit that I was not saying), to attempts to use pseudologic to try to prove me wrong a priori or something, to flat out insults and mic drops around putting me on an ignore list. All because I had the gall to vocalize and defend an unpopular opinion in the blasphemy thread! The horror.
Neither of those views are particularly endearing.
I was going for substantive discussion, but had difficulty finding it. And there was plenty of non-endearing behavior to go around.

I’m more than happy to drop it, as I have been for days. But as long as people keep mischaracterizing my point of view or lobbing molotovs in my direction, I will offer what I feel is an appropriate response.

(And yes, my new picture and profile comment are intended in jest.)

I don't seem to have many unpopular opinions when it comes to Iron Maiden. In general I like all the classic albums and songs and the albums I find weaker are the ones a majority find weaker.

The only "blasphemies" if they can be considered so that I have are that I consider Janick an important element in the band that has contributed to many great songs and that I consider that in hindsight once the band has retired this will be considered their classic line up and their classic era (from Brave New World till future retirement assuming they don't change line up anymore)

Spambot

Educated Fool
Maiden blasphemy thread and last 10 pages are about Janick. Sad...
So, let me spice this up a bit.

What probably has been said in this thread before: Empire of the Clouds is overrated.
What probably hasn't been said in this thread before: Book of Souls is the worst out of reunion albums.

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
btw, Steve plays totally sloppy in studio, just listen to this

or this: https://tinyurl.com/ya7mr54m

However, it all comes together nicely, and even gives it that special flavour
Same with Janick
Sorry to pull out last year's post. This is not sloppiness, this is perfection.

It was recorded like this, and not against a clicktrack. The bass and drums play together, so separating bass out makes it sloppy because you compare it to a mental click track that lacks every drum accent McBrain does and Harris leans on.

matic22

Ancient Mariner

It was recorded like this, and not against a clicktrack. The bass and drums play together, so separating bass out makes it sloppy because you compare it to a mental click track that lacks every drum accent McBrain does and Harris leans on.
Off topic, but is it just me or do you also think that Steve wrote the bass lines on the songs he didn't write. Powerslave, Revelations, Icarus chorus, SIASL... It always seems that those tracks have busier bass lines.

srfc

Ancient Mariner

Best bass line ever recorded

srfc

Ancient Mariner
Off topic, but is it just me or do you also think that Steve wrote the bass lines on the songs he didn't write. Powerslave, Revelations, Icarus chorus, SIASL... It always seems that those tracks have busier bass lines.
I'd say Steve writes the bass lines as much as the guitarists write the solos.

I think that his bass lines are busier on other peoples songs can be looked at in two ways depending on how charitable/critical you are being, either a) he's so inspired by other people work or b) it's not his song but he's determined to put his own mark on it either way.

A third interpretation, and in my view the most likely one, is he can just focus on playing the bass on an other persons song rather than having to worry about anything else.

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
Of course he did. Bruce didn't write Powerslave solos either.

I think that his bass lines are busier on other peoples songs can be looked at in two ways depending on how charitable/critical you are being, either a) he's so inspired by other people work or b) it's not his song but he's determined to put his own mark on it either way.
It's probably a bit of variant A and the rest is normal song development. I only heard Smith once being critical of Harris' contribution, he had a bit of a relief approval when Eddie Casillas played 2MTM in a lower octave. But that's arrangement issue, not the "busy" thing.

Besides, free bass play undernath the solo sections of Smith songs only enhances the section itself, and therefore the song :)

Regarding 2MTM drum/bass combo I played that to a friend whos a casual fan. Ofc he was immediately caught by the quality of the play but at first chorus he also commented how "these two" carry the song by themselves.