Your Maiden blasphemy

Confeos

Game time started.
I don't know what was the extent of the fight, but Smith wasn't satisfied with production decisions of TFF and publicly spoke about it. McBrain, Murray, Gers...they are not involved with the studio side of things. Smith, Dickinson and Harris are.
The Final Frontier is my least favourite album of the reunion-era, and, reading Shirley's diary, it does seem to have had the most troubled production of the post-2000 albums. Both H and Bruce voiced some dissatisfaction at various points, but in the end Steve and Shirley called the shots. Look at how they overruled H regarding the final mixing of the record, for example:
Kevin Shirley said:
March 9, 2010 Malibu, California
Adrian came in and said it all sounded good - and said he was 95% happy with the album mixes and we should look at them and tweak them slightly - I am perfectly happy to reassess any of the mixes, as daunting as the prospect of revisiting everything is, changing sonics etc., but Steve and I are quite happy with it and neither of us can really afford the extra time it would take to remix, so Steve jumped in and basically said we're going to be done this weekend and we are not remixing the entire album. Adrian ultimately understood but wasn't thrilled about it!
I have no doubt that if Steve wasn't satisfied with any of the solos, he would've made the guitarist in question re-record it.

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
Steve's the one that goes with the final amen so I'm sure he likes everything that's been released.
Also that Shirley log entry clearly outlines why they don't fight any more - it is not about egos it is about schedule. In all possibility Shirley and Harris would do an alternate mix if they had time left. The "neither of us" is revealing and that means if Adrian knew how to use all the equipment he'd do it himself. But he needed Shirley or Harris to assist him, clearly. Which is why he can be only disappointed.

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
The Final Frontier is my least favourite album of the reunion-era, and, reading Shirley's diary, it does seem to have had the most troubled production of the post-2000 albums
TFF contains some of their most heavy and most progressive moments. With 3 guitars and Steve's bass sound, it's a bit of a task. Not achievable if you approach the studio as a run in run out affair. When they released El Dorado, yeah it was a MP3 but I knew album won't sound as half as good as AMOLAD.

The worst end-product tho, Dance of Death. Instrument sound is OK. It's like a Brave New World tour live sound, but non-reverberated, dry. But then it got compressed to brick levels.

There's something iffy about DoD era overall, I didn't like it then I don't like it much now. The album tour wasn't big and it was put in between two sizable history legs. The album singles have a very "wide-appealing" lyrics and those "MTV ready" videos, especially Rainmaker. The whole "we have Eddie so we don't have to be fashionable" falls flat with the Rainmaker promo video. The overcompression of and album with overpopulation of "short rockers" reeks loudness wars to me and that's called being commercial, my friends.

Good that AMOLAD did a 360 on that.

Edit : and thinking more of it, there are a lot of parallels between FOTD-TXF progression and DOD-AMOLAD progression.

Ruflux

Ancient Mariner
TFF contains some of their most heavy and most progressive moments. With 3 guitars and Steve's bass sound, it's a bit of a task. Not achievable if you approach the studio as a run in run out affair. When they released El Dorado, yeah it was a MP3 but I knew album won't sound as half as good as AMOLAD.

The worst end-product tho, Dance of Death. Instrument sound is OK. It's like a Brave New World tour live sound, but non-reverberated, dry. But then it got compressed to brick levels.

There's something iffy about DoD era overall, I didn't like it then I don't like it much now. The album tour wasn't big and it was put in between two sizable history legs. The album singles have a very "wide-appealing" lyrics and those "MTV ready" videos, especially Rainmaker. The whole "we have Eddie so we don't have to be fashionable" falls flat with the Rainmaker promo video. The overcompression of and album with overpopulation of "short rockers" reeks loudness wars to me and that's called being commercial, my friends.
This is a pretty interesting take, but one that I feel ultimately falls flat because there's no real motivation for the band to go in that direction, since it's not like they had monetary or record company pressure. They tried wider appeal around the early 90s, it failed and then they stuck to doing their own thing. DoD to me seems more like a lack of clear direction or motivation; the songs on the album are kind of all over the place in many ways and overall the shorter songs are overshadowed by the epics on there.

It's like they just put songs together and there wasn't enough good material for a full album, so they let substandard tracks like Age of Innocence or New Frontier through. I don't know what actually happened, but I get this feel that the "MTV ready" videos probably followed from the lack of clear direction from the album itself - they just did whatever was suggested for the videos because they didn't have any sort of vision for them. And fashion wise, well they've always dressed up more for videos. Look at The Wicker Man for example. Or Bruce's hairstyle during the BNW era. It was terrible, but very much in line with early 2000s fashion.

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
The Final Frontier is my least favourite album of the reunion-era, and, reading Shirley's diary, it does seem to have had the most troubled production of the post-2000 albums.
I completely agree, Final Frontier is my least favourite of the new era. My main gripes are the lifeless production and somewhat tired sounding performances from the band, these diary extracts are interesting to me because they reinforce that idea of the band not being fully into the recording.

Black Abyss Babe

Quantum weather butterfly
Playing something "better" is not always better ;)

Come on guys, cut it off. This fighting over Jan's skills, approach, sloppiness etc. is becoming toxic.
Exactly. I was listening to "Gates of Tomorrow" the other day and it just made me feel really happy and excited about life. One of those solos that makes me catch my breath and whistle. When something makes you feel like that, who care if it does or does not tick off every point in "The I-Spy Book of Proper Guitar Technique"?

Fact is, Janick is a true original. He has music in his soul, and he plays with his heart on his sleeve. Anyone who dismisses him out of hand simply because he does not align to some arbitrary definition of "perfect" is missing out on one hell of a great musician. But that's their loss ...

Donner

Ancient Mariner
My major problem with Final Frontier in addition to the production and less than stellar vocal performances is how few twin harmony guitar parts there are. Aside from, oddly enough, The Alchemist and The Talisman there are barely any twin lead parts. Those were all over AMOLAD and thankfully all over TBOS but it seems odd they abandoned such a key part of their sound on Final Frontier.

Zare

Automaton Sovietico
It's like they just put songs together and there wasn't enough good material for a full album, so they let substandard tracks like Age of Innocence or New Frontier through. I don't know what actually happened, but I get this feel that the "MTV ready" videos probably followed from the lack of clear direction from the album itself - they just did whatever was suggested for the videos because they didn't have any sort of vision for them. And fashion wise, well they've always dressed up more for videos. Look at The Wicker Man for example. Or Bruce's hairstyle during the BNW era. It was terrible, but very much in line with early 2000s fashion.
Yeah I didn't accuse them of selling out just pushing more commercial aspects around DoD. I agree that the lack of theme or mood for an album is the root cause. I singled out Rainmaker video because there's slow motion MTV-style shots of Bruce Dickinson doing praying mantis Kung Fu style floating, while rain is falling on him.

Jer

Cannibal Of Rust
There are ways to word things & that ain't it. The arrogance of that comment is breathtaking.
If you could explain how it’s arrogant to essentially say “I’m not very good, but this arguably sounds worse than what I could do”, I’d be eager to hear it. That is not in any way a self-aggrandizing comment — quite the opposite, in fact.

Jer

Cannibal Of Rust
When something makes you feel like that, who care if it does or does not tick off every point in "The I-Spy Book of Proper Guitar Technique"?
Apparently half the posters in this thread do, because pointing out its quirks prompts the MJGA mob to reach for the tar and feathers.

When did the world get so thin-skinned...?
Anyone who dismisses him out of hand simply because he does not align to some arbitrary definition of "perfect" is missing out on one hell of a great musician. But that's their loss ...
Reductive, passive-aggressive comments directed at people supposedly on your ignore list. Very classy.

News flash: There are people in the world that will disagree with you. This is OK, and it doesn’t make them bad, or inferior, or worthy of baseless attacks. This is a core tenet of free speech that everyone should embrace.

Perhaps we should rename this thread “Janick Fan Safe Space”.

Black Abyss Babe

Quantum weather butterfly
I can imagine it. The song starting with Bruce singing, then on the first calm repetition of the chorus ... Blaze walking on stage, while taking over the singing.

During the guitar solo, Bruce running around while Blaze shouts "come on!", then the two of them finish the song as a duet.

Beautiful.
I woke up this morning and remembered this and I was suddenly struck by a bizzare vision of Bruce and Blaze singing the Pearl Fishers duet, with their arms round each other's shoulders like Andrea Bocelli and Bryn Terfel ...

No idea where that came from!

Brigantium

Grim Reaper
Staff member
I woke up this morning and remembered this and I was suddenly struck by a bizzare vision of Bruce and Blaze singing the Pearl Fishers duet, with their arms round each other's shoulders like Andrea Bocelli and Bryn Terfel ...

No idea where that came from!
Crazy dreams thread?