Your Maiden blasphemy

This thread is good for a laugh, if anything else. I wonder if you're listening to the same albums I am with some of these unpopular opinions.
I will throw another unpopular opinion of mine though.

Although I'm only 11 albums in thus far (Virtual XI is my last purchase), Fear of the Dark is without question the most underrated album so far. How people don't like it is beyond me.

The intro of the first has a solo. Can''t figure out the second title :). And Running Free and Iron Maiden have no solos (might be more).

Wow, I never considered Dave's opening to Deja Vu as a solo but fair enough, it does veer away from the melody. The acronym was for Murders In The Rue Morgue (just being a clever dick) which has a sweet harmonic run up and down the fretboard but no solo as far as I can recall.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner is uncreativelly placed at the end of the album whereas Powerslave would have been a more solid release if it had followed on from 2 Minutes to Midnight. And the song's mellow midsection meanders.

I just recently joined this forum, but I could voice some opinions.

-Prodigal Son is the best song on Killers.
-The Duellists is one of the 3 best songs on Powerslave, and I think the most underrated Maiden song ever.
-Caught Somewhere in Time might have the best solos in Maiden's history.
-The last 3 songs on Seventh Son are a drop off compared to the 5 before it, bringing the album down.
-The chorus of Public Enema Number One is one of the catchiest in Maiden's history.
-I think Judgement of Heaven and 2 AM are 2 of the best 3 songs on TXF.
-Dance of Death is the best reunion album.

Not sure how "unpopular" any of these may seem, but they're what I thought of for right now.

Musically, The Age of Innocence is good song, better than a lot of BNW

And I thought I was alone with not liking Pashendale at all. I don't get why it gets so much praise, lyrically its okay-ish, but music wise its awfully unharmonic. When I listened to it the first time after seeing it getting so much praise here I thought "this can't be the Pashendale everybody raves about, can it?"

Reactions: Gk1
And I thought I was alone with not liking Pashendale at all. I don't get why it gets so much praise, lyrically its okay-ish, but music wise its awfully unharmonic. When I listened to it the first time after seeing it getting so much praise here I thought "this can't be the Pashendale everybody raves about, can it?"

I am totally with you there.I hate how generic and chord based nature of the song.It was a long song so everyone saw it as one of the two epics from DOD. Mediocre at best

The solos and the "blood is falling" part are some of the best segments maiden have ever recorded. Possibly a top 3 solo for each of the guitarists. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

And this thread breaks my heart.

The solos and the "blood is falling" part are some of the best segments maiden have ever recorded. Possibly a top 3 solo for each of the guitarists. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes.

And this thread breaks my heart.

Yes, the solo part and the intro melody are quite good.

For me, paschendale is the one song I have the most mixed feelingS about, I tend to get tired of it quicker than many other songs and dont listen to it very often bit when I do and if I'm in the right mood it's just magnificent and very emotional. What score could you possibly give a song like that?

I think No Prayer For The Dying is a great album, and quite underrated.
Same with The X Factor which is a top three Maiden album, for me.

Rainmaker is just okay.

Sea of Madness gets a lot of love, but I don't like it at all. Fantastic opening riff but other than that I find it boring. This and Heaven Can Wait are my two least favourites from Somewhere in Time.

I think No Prayer For The Dying is a great album, and quite underrated.
Same with The X Factor which is a top three Maiden album, for me.

Rainmaker is just okay.

Sea of Madness gets a lot of love, but I don't like it at all. Fantastic opening riff but other than that I find it boring. This and Heaven Can Wait are my two least favourites from Somewhere in Time.

I liked your post because of X Factor getting praise.
Then I saw you poured some shit on Sea Of Madness.

You owe me one like. With interest.

music wise its awfully unharmonic.
That's hilarious considering the amount of harmony actually in the song. If it sounds sudden and disconcerting it's intentional. That's part of the masterpiece.

Bad choice of words there. You might not like Paschendale, but there's absolutely nothing "unharmonic" on that track. It's a song based on classic heavy metal power chords.

Bad choice of words there. You might not like Paschendale, but there's absolutely nothing "unharmonic" on that track. It's a song based on classic heavy metal power chords.

He probably meant that the different music parts consisting the song are not that well-fitting together...or something

Positive unpopular opinions
-No Prayer is great, never understood why it caught so much flack, unlike the next album...
-Back in the Village is hands down the best song on Powerslave after the four legendary tracks that bookend the album
-The last five songs on The Final Frontier create such a menagerie of sonic textures that it is one of the best moments in Maidens entire discography.

Negative unpopular opinions
-Brave New World is musically the most uninspired Maiden release and is the worst offender when it comes to unnecessary/unimaginative chorus repetition. Always felt most/all of the praise it garnered was primarily due to the return of Bruce and his performance, which is among his finest.

Last edited:
Back