Your Maiden blasphemy

UpTheIrons said:
I think Piece of Mind is the weakest of the "golden era" albums (NOTB through to Seventh Son)  :innocent:

I thought Number of the Beast was a weak album, loved Piece of Mind.

I like Hooks in You. Fun song. Doesn't deserve the hate it gets, but it doesn't deserve to be in any top ten of any sort.

The Flash said:
Hooks in You is my least favorite Maiden song of all time  :D

That's not a blasphemy though, that's a fact  :innocent:

Nah seriously, Hooks in You is not a song that I enjoy, it is definitely one of Maiden's worst at least from my view.

I haveto say I quite enjoy Hooks in You, its a fun song, a little bit uncharacteristic of Maiden perhaps, but still fun.

As for blasphemies, I'm generally not such a big fan of the early Maiden stuff, and one album I have never been able to quite get along with is Piece of Mind (aside from Revelations, Flight of Icarus, and the live version of The Trooper). There is only one Maiden song that I absolutely detest but I'm not aware that anyone in the Maiden community loves this one either so perhaps its not a blasphemy: Wildest Dreams.

Another song that I love and apparently Maiden themselves or Steve Harris at least are not pleased with is The Long Distance Runner. And I don't find the Angel and the Gambler so grating as most do, its just about 5 minutes too long. 

Jupz said:
How have I never known this before??!?!!

:ninja:

Huge Blasphemy right there!

That was a joke.  :D

Truth is - I don't hate it that much as other people do.  ;)

But Phantom still kicks every other song's ass. Period. (This, I'm serious about).

jonnytron said:
But im sure theres something else there 0:46-1:20 the tune immediately reminded me of something non-maiden but ever since 16th August ive not been able to put my finger on it. Just something about that part thats REALLY recognisable. I love it and im not trying to make it seem like some sort of plaigiarism but anyway

I think it sounds like the verse melody in this song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnkH9YKUQJg

Dityn DJ James said:
I classify Maiden as Melodic Power Metal.

Power Metal is melodic already.

Iron Maiden is a Classic Heavy Metal band for me, I say it that way. Power Metal's music is a lot harder (not difficulty, musical fabric with guitar tones and stuff) than Maiden's.

The lyrics are also definitely not Power Metal lyrics either. I mean Bruce could quite easily be a Power Metal singer but the lyrics are definitely darker (just look at A Matter of Life and Death). If anything, especially their later stuff is heading more in the Progressive Metal direction than the Power Metal direction.

I'd say some of the 80's stuff comes close to power metal.

I always thought of the song Powerslave to be very Power Metal-ish, Melodic Power Metal just sounds cool.

Anyone here heard of Stratovarius? Just got done listening to alot of their stuff, they're pretty good.

Mine buy their first album soon, I've got other stuff I need to get first (Somewhere in Time, Powerslave, A Matter of Life and Death, Rust in Peace)

I also don't find The Angel and the Gambler a bad song, it's been growing on me alot.

I listened to one or two songs and I didn't really like them much. Power metal just isn't my music.

Back