Your First Maiden Gig ?

Onhell said:
I love it how a fan complains about overplayed songs at his first concert :)

Even though it was my first Maiden gig, I did think some overplayed songs
(Trooper, Can I Play with Madness, 2 Minutes to Midnight, The Number of the Beast)
seemed a bit... flat and one-dimensional.  For me the rarer songs
(Revelations, Rime, Aces High, The Clairvoyant in particular)
were a lot more interesting and worked perfectly live.

Revelations can hardly be called rare ... this is the third tour in the last five years they've played it. It's almost a standard by now. Remember, even The Trooper was once rare - it was MIA from 1986-1990 or so, and now they play it every night. Could this also be happening to Revelations?

Onhell said:
I love it how a fan complains about overplayed songs at his first concert :)
I meant overrated and or overplayed on radio

The Trooper and NOTB are almost the only ones which can be heard on Finnish radio stations. That really bugs me off. And Can I Play With Madness is just so mediocre. The worst song from SSOASS, and still it's the most popular one from that album.

Well soooooooooooorry. I wouldn't care how often a song gets played on radio or put on a best of collection. There's nothing like hearing it for the first time LIVE... then again that's just me... I was fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to only know the BNW songs when I saw them on tour. Every song, including those were new to me and awesome to hear them live for that first time

Mine was 1979. Thats right 1979.
Birmingham Bingley hall UK, just off Broad street. Its gone now.
The other bands on the bill (note Iron maiden were NOT headlining) were Budgie, Jameson Raid (www.jamesonraid.net) and medusa
The question I  have though, is exactly what date was this concert as all I have a record of is that it was 1979.
It was most probably 3 dec 1979 or 15 dec 1979. Both dates listed on
http://hem.passagen.se/davemurray/tour_maiden.htm
as birmingham dates.
Does anyone know. Please.

Forostar.
Thanks for that I have used the link and it gives more info than my original link.
Hiowever, I dont recognise either of these two venues 'underworld' or 'marshall rooms'
I will ask some older mates who used to frequent birmingham bars+ clubs
I know for certain it was 1979 as I wasn't quite old enough to legally drink.
It could be that the marshall rooms is what Bingley hall was called?
My notes from the time also indicate that Samson played on the bill.

Another mystery is that when I want to see John Otway & Wild willy Barrett play at the Golden Eagle (Birmingham) 79/80 there was a framed photo of Iron Maiden behind the bar, and for my money you would only put that up if they had played there, so I also believe Iron Maiden played the Golden Eagle Brum, but when?

izabelgoudie said:
I also believe Iron Maiden played the Golden Eagle Brum, but when?

3 December 1979

I am beginning to think that you're mixing up some cities. Perhaps you went to see Maiden at this date. That's why you remember the photo. ;)

Brum is short for Birmingham.
My interest in the date is to determine the date I saw Jameson Raid.
With the number of other bands playing i.e. Samson, budgie, Iron maiden,medusa on the bill, I reckoned I could humt down the date by finding gig listing from the 70's for these bands. so far I have only come across ones for Iron maiden which is why I'm on this forum.
I must admit I dont like Iron Maiden once Dianno left but fair play, they have passed the test of time.

The humting and investigation goes on....

After studying the iron maiden commentary and having a bit more of a think and a bit of research, I am a little closer to my goal.
There are some errors in the 1979 iron maiden commentary as follows
12 Nov 1979 is stated as Marshall rooms Birmingham. There was no such place. The previous entry in the list is
10 Nov 1979 is stated as Marshall rooms Stroud (which did exist). The birmingham entry is therefore for the wrong venue or just wrong altogether

3 Dec 1979 is stated as Golden Eagle London. This I believe is wrong. It should state Golden Eagle Birmingham which is where I saw the photograph and the date fits.

15 Dec 1979 states Underworld Birmingham. I dont believe this venue exists (certainly not in Birmingham). I am inclined to believe that this is when the gig at Bingley Hall took place with Samson,Budgie,Jameson Raid.

The thing is, the Commentary is no longer updating its content, since the owner has abandoned ship Good research though!

Ouuuuuuu, 'The Sherriff of Huddersfield".

Mine was The 'Wolrd Slavery Tour'.

My first ever concert just happened to be the greatest band on earth playing the most excellent show ever!

Whew!
...where do we go from here?
I'll tell ya. --- Nicko going in the air some 40 feet on top of Eddie, Somewhere On tour!!!

Summer of 1983, Maiden opened for Judas Priest at the New Haven Coliseum. My first concert too. I've seen them 10 more times since, most recently June 17 2008 at Camden NJ. Fucking most awesome Maiden show to date!!!!!!!

Maiden on World Piece Tour, Priest out with Screaming for Vengeance? Crap, why was I only one year old at that time? If something like that was to happen near me today, I would KILL to be there.

First time seeing Maiden - Donington '88. We were miles back from the stage, but thankful for all that when I heard the news afterwards. It's still my favourite gig ever.

First time indoors - Southampton 1990, first 'proper' date of the Intercity Express tour. We were right down the front, I was banging my fist on the stage and screaming along to every word; it was the day after my 18th birthday...

----------------
Now playing: Carcass - Room 101
via FoxyTunes

ETA I should have seen Maiden Somewhere On Tour, had tickets for the Ipswich gig that was cancelled. I got a free poster, which wasn't much consolation....

rolpol said:
First time indoors - Southampton 1990, first 'proper' date of the Intercity Express tour. We were right down the front, I was banging my fist on the stage and screaming along to every word; it was the day after my 18th birthday...
Southampton 1990 - I was there too. I arrived to late for Wolfsbane but got to see Maiden (I had, at the time, seen Wolfsbane a few times before, so I didn't feel too bad). My lateness was due to the fact that I had to find the Mayflower Theatre in a town I had never visited before in my life - and pre-SatNav.

I was in the balcony.

Albie said:
Southampton 1990 - I was there too. I arrived to late for Wolfsbane but got to see Maiden (I had, at the time, seen Wolfsbane a few times before, so I didn't feel too bad). My lateness was due to the fact that I had to find the Mayflower Theatre in a town I had never visited before in my life - and pre-SatNav.

I was in the balcony.

Blaze had a good-natured nag at the guys in the balcony during Wolfsbane's set, asked if the oxygen was too thin for them to stand up and make some noise!

I remember Bruce threatening to kick a stage-divers head in late on in the show too, the poor kid ran up the back and hid!

Great show all round, I guess I'll never see Maiden in a venue like that again.... And a pity no-one bootlegged it either...

----------------
Now playing: The Wildhearts - There's Only One Hell
via FoxyTunes

Back