Your favorite Maiden guitar sound

Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Seventh Son and AMOLAD. They all have such fantastic tones that really add something special to the music.

Tough one. Think I'm gonna go with TNOTB. Nice and crunchy (the intro of 22 Acacia Avenue being a nice example).

Piece of Mind and Powerslave were pretty much perfect in terms of guitar sound and their use of guitars in general. Those 2 albums are the epitome of guitar-driven metal to me.

well I don't have a favorite sound for the guitars as a whole. I only got a favorite sound for the solos...and that is the FOTD album.

I must say I really only have one favourite - Brave New World. Highly processed and very modern, but miles ahead of any other record they've done. Mixes that sound very good, and I also like the sound of all the instruments. The guitars sounds so damn awesome. Janick's lead following the vocal line in the title track - it sits so perfectly in the mix that I get goosebumps listening to it. The galloping rhythm of for example Out of the Silent Planet is more scooped, but it's done in a way so that it works in the mix rather than disappear into a muddy mess. What is changed? The bass has less room and isn't heard as much as the guitars do share more of its frequencies. I prefer that way of mixing, I don't want to hear the bass 'klonk' - I want to feel it.

I completely agree with this assessment, though I'd be fine with a little more "klonk" on BNW. Just a little. That "klonk" is a big part of Maiden's sound.

And yeah, you can say BNW is processed or modern-sounding, but it's a brilliant sounding record. I wish they had kept that kind of production going forward.

Powerslave: by far

I tend to agree. Powerslave's guitar tones are quite cutting and have a lot of bite, allowing them to sit well in the mix with Steve's bass tone and Nicko's drums. The tone is brighter and not as dark and rumbly as something like Piece of Mind (which I do like, but not as much), leaving a more metallic crunch to the proceedings. True, not as much bottom end as previous albums but it's the tone I prefer.

The first album could have been better .
Killers have an okay sound.
Number is great
Piece have a very great tone I think.
Powerslave is awesome, even the b-sides sound superb.
Somewhere - not very good on the faster rythm sound, but very good clean and lead sound.
Seventh son sounds a bit flat.
No prayer got a great tone, especially the lead guitar.
Fear have a nice heavy guitar tone.
X factor are also a bit flat and thin.
XI demo quality, not good.
Brave new world, very bad rythm (like opening riff og the wicker man..).nice lead tone thought.
Dance of death, bit the same as BNW, not very good.
A matter sound very good. So does Final frontier.

Guess Powerslave is my favorite Maiden guitar tone/sound :)

Powerslave stands out above all the other albums in my opinion. It just sounds so distinct in comparison.

Back