Yet ANOTHER best of - From Fear To Eternity

I think his point was that this is a compilation for the masses and the new fans, surely BYDTTS was a Number 1 hit because of its mass appeal and therefore is justifiably a part of it - regardless of its musical qualities.

Forostar said:
So, "dedicated" fans still like to make negative propaganda to people who haven't heard a note from this era?
That's a shame. It's as bad as telling to a kid: "Go listen to this radio station, because I like it" or "Don't try out that music because I don't like it." Pathetic and unfair isn't it?

Exposing own bias can restrict free will of kids, when they should decide themselves how they plan their journey of discovery.

You're right it is a shame. But it is true. I wouldn't call them dedicated fans, but the "fans on Blabbermouth" are very noticeable in their insulting and probably turn a few people off from Maiden. I know that if I didn't know them well and read some of the comments on blabbermouth I probably would've never bought the Final Frontier.

As explained: if that is the case, then you live in a culture which restricts freedom of choice. Young people can be influenced easily (they are vulnerable to criticism by adults), and in some cases one shouldn't do that: music, an innocent but strong form of art, joy and companionship.
And it is very sad.

We live in 2011, an era in which (at least) TXF is not constantly insulted.
You're right, it's just ignored these days.

New fans might give them a chance but not when older fans can't stand it when new fans will like something they don't like themselves.
Agreed.

I doubt it, everything looks like a "look what we'll play on the next big tour, hope you like it, pretty please" campaign.

It should be the point of "a" compilation, but the last couple of Maiden compilations served other goals (as well).

Maybe there won't be a 90s tour, but there will be a tour with more 90s material, in the setlist, for sure. I think that Ranko's post is pretty realistic.

I don't know. It is very hard to say at this point. Looking at the tracklist again, I think it some of those songs would make the setlist but maybe for another album tour, and not a retrospective tour. I predict the next tour is an album tour. Especially since they seem very enthusiastic about writing new material.
Habberdasher said:
Fear of the Dark went number 1 in the UK when it was released. Are you now going to tell me that it's one of their 3 best albums?
"Greatest" and "Best" are two different things. Greatest means the one that was most successful, while Best is the one of highest quality. For example, the greatest album out of the last two would be The Final Frontier. But I know a good amount of people (me included) would say the best is A Matter Of Life And Death. Like it or not, Bring Your Daughter is their greatest hit.

Wasted The Great said:
OK, so my question to you, Foro, is why would you bother to critique an album/song, or why do you participate in the 'song of the day' listing?  If you are ranking a song, saying it is a 7, instead of a 10, isn't that the same thing?  How many people will find our forum and look through those songs and see your score and decide to bail on a song that doesn't rate high enough?

If we are 'experts' on Maiden, because we have listened to them for 20-30 years, then we should have an opinion, and should feel free to share it with someone who asks.  I'm not going to say "nah, I won't tell you what is good, you figure it out".  They could run across a dozen songs they don't like and give up.

These scores on this forum are my opinions but I don't expect others to follow me blindly, so that they won't check out the albums with my lowest scores. I also don't tell others that they better not check a certain period of Maiden. I don't think a fan can best start with a certain period, or should better skip a certain period.

@Stallion: I read your reaction man, thanks  :ok:

So what you are saying is that it is ok to give one's opinion in certain situations?  I could say that I prefer SSOASS to VIX, but its not ok to say that I think VIX is the worst album?

Wasted The Great said:
So what you are saying is that it is ok to give one's opinion in certain situations?  I could say that I prefer SSOASS to VIX, but its not ok to say that I think VIX is the worst album?
I had a teacher a few years ago. And when we had Book clubs in her class we did a project at the end. Everyone had to share and give their opinions on the book. But anything negative about it we wouldn't say because that could instantly turn someone off to what could be a good book for them. Music is the same way. If you're talking to a new fan and you say Virtual is their worst album, then they might not want to even give it a chance. I know I didn't want to give it a chance, now it is one of my favorite albums.

Wasted The Great said:
So what you are saying is that it is ok to give one's opinion in certain situations?  I could say that I prefer SSOASS to VIX, but its not ok to say that I think VIX is the worst album?

Of course you can say it (especially on internet!) but I think that a young kid (many new fans are new younger kids) can be influenced by such an opinion, before he has heard a note. Especially when the person who says this is someone he looks up to.

I have the principle that when it comes to music, that young people should discover themselves what they like.
Of course a band can be suggested but the whole album-journey can be made by that kid himself/herself.

My 2 cents.

Ranko said:
I think his point was that this is a compilation for the masses and the new fans, surely BYDTTS was a Number 1 hit because of its mass appeal and therefore is justifiably a part of it - regardless of its musical qualities.
And the fact that they released it, what, the first of January or something like that?  :ninja: :smartarse:

The IMC says December 24th, 1990 :D Are you implying that it's a "dead" time of year, so it was easier to achieve a number one?

Fear of the Dark went number 1 in the UK when it was released. Are you now going to tell me that it's one of their 3 best albums?

I dont think that nor did i say it, i just  think it being a hit is a good enough reason to be on the compilation.

And the fact that they released it, what, the first of January or something like that?

Its still a great achievement for a metal band especially at that time in the uk when you never heard metal on the radio/tv.

Feverdog said:
I dont think that nor did i say it, i just  think it being a hit is a good enough reason to be on the compilation.
exactly

snake plissken said:
Hmmm just read through this thread. Some good posts, others that make my fucking blood boil. Maiden not having Blaze on here is absolutely the right thing to do. With Blaze as the front man the bands popularity and credibility plummeted. This is a fact! Bruce came back with Adrian and so the all the credibility and popularity. If this is indeed a release for "new" fans who only got into Maiden recently then why the fuck should they put Blaze on it? The 90's are covered and covered very well by Bruce. Fair play to the management for not pandering to the X Fanboy(s) Bruce is where it's at!

Stallion Duck said:
Great post. Have a praise.

Stallion Duck said:
I didn't know he was a Blaze hater. But he raises some good points.

Virtual XI (1998) by individual members:

9,3 Stallion Duck
8,5 Jeffmetal
8,5 LooseCannon
8,5 Vap
8,3 Albie
7,9 Zare
7,8 Eddies Wingman
7,4 Forostar
7,1 mckindog
7,0 national acrobat
6,5 Black_Thunder
6,3 taker64

Stallion Duck
1. Killers 9,3
1. Virtual XI 9,3
3. Powerslave 8,6
4. Somewhere in Time 8,5
4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 8,5
6. Piece of Mind 8,2
7. The Number of the Beast 8,1
8. The X Factor 7,6
9. No Prayer for the Dying 7,4
10. Iron Maiden 7,0
11. Fear of the Dark 4,4

Errr, yeah...

Hope you don't mind, Stallion Duck, but I wanted to show the contrast between your understanding of leaving Blaze out of a nineties compilation and your immense love for VXI (and a 7,6 for TXF is pretty worthy too I think).

Most people who defend this compilation do not have VXI as their favourite album (and that's an understatement).

Just to be clear as I keep seeing it in the thread, I DO NOT hate Blaze. I met him once and he's a very nice chap. However, I am not a fan of his voice. I will concede he is a decent writer. Now, I feel better :)

I wish I could go back and vote all mine again, I kinda voted too high and low for some songs cause I was comparing it to others on the album as opposed to as a whole :(

I think a number of people have been a bit extreme with their votes (high and low). Next year alterations can be made.

Forostar said:
Virtual XI (1998) by individual members:

9,3 Stallion Duck
8,5 Jeffmetal
8,5 LooseCannon
8,5 Vap
8,3 Albie
7,9 Zare
7,8 Eddies Wingman
7,4 Forostar
7,1 mckindog
7,0 national acrobat
6,5 Black_Thunder
6,3 taker64

Stallion Duck
1. Killers 9,3
1. Virtual XI 9,3
3. Powerslave 8,6
4. Somewhere in Time 8,5
4. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son 8,5
6. Piece of Mind 8,2
7. The Number of the Beast 8,1
8. The X Factor 7,6
9. No Prayer for the Dying 7,4
10. Iron Maiden 7,0
11. Fear of the Dark 4,4

Errr, yeah...

Hope you don't mind, Stallion Duck, but I wanted to show the contrast between your understanding of leaving Blaze out of a nineties compilation and your immense love for VXI (and a 7,6 for TXF is pretty worthy too I think).

Most people who defend this compilation do not have VXI as their favourite album (and that's an understatement).
I don't agree with him but he raised a fine point. The statement that I agreed with the most was about Maiden's credibility. Like it or not, they lost it, especially in North America, and it that is probably why the material has been absent on live shows and the new compilation. I really don't think it's anything against him and if Maiden were actually involved in this compilation, Blaze would probably be singing on it.

I still find it a bit illogical that you say Maiden lost it, while you disagree with that. You like the albums. Maiden did not loose it for you.

So, in my eyes it looks like you find it important to defend commercial reasons, rather than saying you disagree with it, because you think Maiden did well for you.

Forostar said:
I still find it a bit illogical that you say Maiden lost it, while you disagree with that. You like the albums. Maiden did not loose it for you.
You're right, they didn't. But I'm not going to buy that compilation album. A lot of people don't like the Blaze albums. I don't like it, but it's the truth.

WTF?

No "Ghost of the Navigator" or "The Nomad" or "Starblind"?????

Only "The Clansman" from VirtualXI?

What the hell?

:down:

Farhang said:
WTF?

No "Ghost of the Navigator"
That one is weird. As far as the other ones, It isn't too surprising. Especially Nomad.

Back