Yet ANOTHER best of - From Fear To Eternity

bearfan said:
The triple vinyl release portion is for the hardcore fans that purchase vinyl (Me), the CDs/MP3s are for the newbies.   

I buy everything on CD, and i'm definitely not a noob.  just dont' have the time/money to go repurchase everything on vinyl.  B)

bearfan said:
The triple vinyl release portion is for the hardcore fans that purchase vinyl (Me), the CDs/MP3s are for the newbies.   
Same here. I don't really care either, the difference between vinyl and CD isn't so big anyway. I don't get who the hell buys MP3s.

Vap said:
Same here. I don't really care either, the difference between vinyl and CD isn't so big anyway. I don't get who the hell buys MP3s.
Bleh, 320 kbit Mp3 is pretty damn close to lossless. Like 99% or so. It's hard to tell much difference.

chaosapiant said:
I buy everything on CD, and i'm definitely not a noob.  just dont' have the time/money to go repurchase everything on vinyl.  B)

I guess i have the money to do it, the time part is not that big of a deal, I usually order new releases online, which makes them cheaper (no tax).

snake plissken said:
Forostar, are you having a laugh? Maiden became a fucking laughing stock with Blaze as a front man. My feelings on the chap are irrelevant. The speed at which ticket sales and record sales dropped was shocking and the critics were only too happy to report on the state of affairs. Now, whether Maiden cared about what outsiders were saying is debatable but there wasn't one metal band out there who feared being on a bill with Maiden back then. Nobody would wanna go on after them now. The simple fact of the matter is, the Blaze era was a disaster and if it wasn't he'd still be in the band. Nicko is quoted as saying "if things had carried on the way it had they'd have knocked it on the head". I dunno about you but I remember all too well going into a dingy little shithole of a club which WASN'T SOLD OUT on the X Factour and wondering how long it'd take Maiden to get Bruce back. Didn't have to wait too long as it happened.

If people love Blaze so much then that's absolutely fine. Stick on the X Factor and Virtual XI and rock out, they will always be there for you  :shred: However you can't expect the band to put out a CD celebrating the success Maiden and having Blaze on it. Especially when Bruce's versions of these songs are what recent fans are more likely to have heard. Makes perfect business sense.

I have to jump in here and say that is a very US-centric point of view. What you say is true for the US and the UK, but Maiden still sold out football stadiums in South America, and while the venues they played in Europe weren't as big as they were before, they still had big audiences here.

Perun said:
I have to jump in here and say that is a very US-centric point of view. What you say is true for the US and the UK, but Maiden still sold out football stadiums in South America, and while the venues they played in Europe weren't as big as they were before, they still had big audiences here.
Best of the Beast helped Maiden to get bigger attendance rates as well. During the X Factour, maiden played in front of 500 people in Sweden. During the Virutal XI tour, right after the release of the compilation, they played in front of 10 000 with Blaze - With very little marketing if my memory serves me right.

Perun said:

Which is a nice way of saying the band's support diminished horribly in two massive territories and lessened in Europe too. It was a horrid time to be a fan and I'm so fucking glad they've distanced themselves from the period.

Must say, the track list is awesome!

Blaze songs are in live format on this compilation for people get used on how they'll sound on next year's tour, but, it'd be even better to listen new versions of these songs, in the studio, with the new line up. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns should've been in this compilation, as also Wasting Love should.

snake plissken said:
Blaze songs are in live format on this compilation for people get used on how they'll sound on next year's tour

I think it's a very strange idea that a band should release a compilation serving as a blueprint of a setlist; (how predictable this all will be, very nice isn't it?) to let people learn the recent past of a band. Maybe some people are really scared that some of these songs are not good enough in concert, or that Americans don't explore the past of a band without having a guide? Are new Maiden fans in 2011 so helpless?

snake plissken said:
Must say, the track list is awesome!

Maybe the dates for this 1990-2010 tour (like this year's) too?

snake plissken said:
It was a horrid time to be a fan and I'm so fucking glad they've distanced themselves from the period.

Agreed.  When Virtual XI came out, I was so disappointed that I hung up my Maiden hat. I thought it would be for good.

In retrospect the Blaze era isn't bad, but it only seems that way because the band regained its awesomeness since the reunion.  I have nothing but horrible memories about Maiden in the 90s.

Forostar said:
A post from someone with anti-Blaze sentiment in his belly, who's happy his hated Blaze is omitted.
I didn't know he was a Blaze hater. But he raises some good points.

Maiden never lost credibility. Maybe some quality but not credibility. Outside the United Classics of America, concerts were still visited well, and after all these years, the albums have grown in popularity, especially TXF.
I think it is the opposite. If they didn't lose credibility then why did their concerts/albums do so bad. Last I checked Virtual was barely Platinum.

Don't forget that the year is 2011, not 1995 or 1998, which was a difficult time for metal bands with long songs with long intro's. Now everybody is raving about Opeth, and more bands make such songs. I think that people are more open minded about metal now, than in the nineties, when Grunge had left its marks.

Very good point.

Because he was part of their history and do you really think these new fans won't check TXF and VXI? They'll get to him anyway. So let's not be naive about that.
The majority of new fans probably won't. But on the other hand they probably won't check out most of those 90's albums anyways. Or 2000's. Maybe TFF but that's about it.

Even the newest fans know this. It's really not necessary to prove this point by releasing a best of album with only Bruce on vocals.
But maybe new fans who don't like Blaze will have an easier time listening to those albums (if they even bother) if they hear some of it with their beloved Bruce on vocals.

If this was meant for new fans then we know that these should be fans without bias, right? They don't have decades of Maiden past behind them to compare, and a lot of them probably haven't heard Blaze yet. 
Which is why they might be more accessible with Bruce on vocals. When I first heard Maiden I thought the Clansman was sung originally by Bruce because of Rock In Rio. When I found out that wasn't the case, I heard other Blaze songs but didn't like them as much. When I heard Clansman I liked it more and I understood what they were doing and Blaze's singing (which isn't that good on the track) didn't bother me.

Forostar said:
I think it's a very strange idea that a band should release a compilation serving as a blueprint of a setlist; (how predictable this all will be, very nice isn't it?) to let people learn the recent past of a band. Maybe some people are really scared that some of these songs are not good enough in concert, or that Americans don't explore the past of a band without having a guide? Are new Maiden fans in 2011 so helpless?

Maybe the dates for this 1990-2010 tour (like this year's) too?

You know, seeing how they played the 2000s material last year, I somehow think that this next history tour could very well focus only on the '90s material from the compilation plus 6 or 7 classics:

DISC 1
2. Holy Smoke 3.49
6. Man On The Edge (LIVE) 4.40
10. Sign of the Cross (LIVE) 10.49
12. Fear Of The Dark (LIVE) 7.41

DISC 2
1. Be Quick Or Be Dead  3.24
2. Tailgunner 4.15
5. The Clansman (LIVE) 9.06
8. Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter 4.44
9. Afraid to Shoot Strangers 6.57

You could say it is disrespectful to their own history that they've chosen not to include songs from the two Blaze albums. On the other hand, they are promoting Rock in Rio with these live tracks, a seminal album for new fans to go out and buy the best live album of this era Maiden, one which will further provide them with older classics and get them more into Maiden. So having live tracks from Rock In Rio on there instead of Blaze songs might be a good move actually.

One other, completely different thing is, why is Different World on there? I don't see it as being anything special, certainly not classic or essential in any way shape or form  :lol:

Maybe because it is one of the few accessible songs off of AMOLAD. The only good one if you ask me.

That could be it. I just have a hard time seeing Different World on a "Best of" from Iron Maiden, when its nowhere near the best they've done in the last 20 years, far from it actually. Same goes for Holy Smoke. But I guess its because they were both released as singles or something..

SixesAlltheway said:
That could be it. I just have a hard time seeing Different World on a "Best of" from Iron Maiden, when its nowhere near the best they've done in the last 20 years, far from it actually. Same goes for Holy Smoke. But I guess its because they were both released as singles or something..
Again, they are trying to attract new fans by mixing their truly Best tracks along with their most accessible tracks. Like Holy Smoke and Different World.

Stallion Duck said:
Again, they are trying to attract new fans by mixing their truly Best tracks along with their most accessible tracks. Like Holy Smoke and Different World.

Yup, it just pains my Maiden-heart that they are supposed to represent the highlights of the last 20 years  :lol:

Well Paschendale is on there. That is THE highlight imo.

I love Different World, its a very underrated opener and one of my fave Maiden openers. I dislike Holy Smoke though.

Back