Yet ANOTHER best of - From Fear To Eternity

The Final Fear.

Short simple and to the point.  Or

A Matter of the final Virtual Brave New Fear Factor

Quick first thoughts on this..Another redundant EMI contract release, I doubt the band has had much to say in this. The track selection is very predictable. Only good surprise is the including of Man on The Edge Live, probably with Bruce, but still since it was released before it doesn't make up for the fact that for the inveterate Maiden fan, this release offers nothing new, EXCEPT, the best thing about this release, the COVER! This is miles better than the last three studio albums and actually has a real Eddie on it  :ok:

The basis for the set list of next year's celebratory tour is there, folks (funny it doesn't have Wasting Love). Funny is that about 2 years ago, I authored a DVD with things from No Prayer On The Road up to AMOLAD and named it From 90's To Eternity. Basically the same as this compilation.

Maiden management, don't you have a spot for me on your creative team? :D

Shadow said:
From Fear to Eternity.

What's that supposed to mean anyway?

Maiden's popularity is eternal, due to Fear of the Dark's eternal presence in the setlist.

seely said:
Whilst I think it's a little unfair to leave Blaze out and just use the Bruce-fronted live versions..it isn't entirely unexpected or inconsistent, they did the same with Paul Di'anno's stuff on the SBIT album....think i'll be geting this for completion purposes, nothing more

Paul was still present on Best of the Beast, which came out 15 years after Paul left.

This albums contains only one song from VXI and two from TXF (the smallest numbers from all albums), unfortunately not sung by Blaze.

People want Bruce, what can I say.
Paul was on vocals in albums that are considered classics, as opposed to Blaze. Unfourtunatly, most casual Maiden fans seem to really hate Blaze, so not including Blaze in the mix is, at least marketing wise, a good move.

Not that I think that Maiden need, or go after the money here. It's just fan service.

Mega said:
People want Bruce, what can I say.
Paul was on vocals in albums that are considered classics, as opposed to Blaze. Unfourtunatly, most casual Maiden fans seem to really hate Blaze, so not including Blaze in the mix is, at least marketing wise, a good move.

Not that I think that Maiden need, or go after the money here. It's just fan service.

Well, the selected Blaze era songs could also be seen as classics, definitely when we focus on the 1990-2010 era.

By us, yes. By the fans who like TNOTB and diss Balze, not really.
This can give these songs a chance in the eyes of the casual fan, I think. If a fan likes the song when sung by Bruce, and discovers it's from a Blaze album, it just might be enough for him to give the album a fair chance.

Jeffmetal said:
The basis for the set list of next year's celebratory tour is there, folks (funny it doesn't have Wasting Love). Funny is that about 2 years ago, I authored a DVD with things from No Prayer On The Road up to AMOLAD and named it From 90's To Eternity. Basically the same as this compilation.

Sounds like you've got a pretty lucrative lawsuit on your hands! :D

Forostar said:
Well, the selected Blaze era songs could also be seen as classics, definitely when we focus on the 1990-2010 era.
No. What people are forgetting here is that this is aimed at new fans. Not us. New/casual fans are going to want songs with Bruce on them.

Also judging by the songlist (which is quite good BTW) I doubt this album will sell well.

Hmmm just read through this thread. Some good posts, others that make my fucking blood boil. Maiden not having Blaze on here is absolutely the right thing to do. With Blaze as the front man the bands popularity and credibility plummeted. This is a fact! Bruce came back with Adrian and so the all the credibility and popularity. If this is indeed a release for "new" fans who only got into Maiden recently then why the fuck should they put Blaze on it? The 90's are covered and covered very well by Bruce. Fair play to the management for not pandering to the X Fanboy(s) Bruce is where it's at!

snake plissken said:
Hmmm just read through this thread. Some good posts, others that make my fucking blood boil. Maiden not having Blaze on here is absolutely the right thing to do. With Blaze as the front man the bands popularity and credibility plummeted. This is a fact! Bruce came back with Adrian and so the all the credibility and popularity. If this is indeed a release for "new" fans who only got into Maiden recently then why the fuck should they put Blaze on it? The 90's are covered and covered very well by Bruce. Fair play to the management for not pandering to the X Fanboy(s) Bruce is where it's at!
Great post. Have a praise.

For a band that talks about its history a lot, they should respect theirs. I'm a comparatively new fan - post Blaze, been here since BNW - and I think it's terribly disrespectful. It pisses all over 2 albums, one of which is one of their best. Going to confuse a bunch of people who go buy TXF and come away not understanding what the album IS.

LooseCannon said:
For a band that talks about its history a lot, they should respect theirs. I'm a comparatively new fan - post Blaze, been here since BNW - and I think it's terribly disrespectful. It pisses all over 2 albums, one of which is one of their best. Going to confuse a bunch of people who go buy TXF and come away not understanding what the album IS.
Well they do present that history. With Bruce on vocals. I agree with you but the point is to introduce new fans to Maiden. (this album should be a companion to SBIT) Not to please the real fans who enjoy those Blaze albums. And I think it is safe to say that Sign Of The Cross from Rio slaughters the studio version for many reasons. As far as the other ones, I couldn't say cos I haven't heard them.

This is a pretty damn good compilation, actually -- I may get it as a gift for some folks.  Good companion piece to the SBIT compilation.  I also couldn't help but immediately notice the rather obvious de-Blaze-ing going on here, and while it is a bit disingenuous, I get it. 

LooseCannon said:

I understand your perspective, but Bruce is the singer now, he is by far the more popular singer among the folks who would be interested in a compilation like this, and since he has sung most of the key songs from those albums, it simply makes sense to let his versions go on the compilation.  (At least he didn't re-record them in the studio, a la Iced Earth...)  This gives the newer fans what they most likely would want.  Of course, I'm far less of a Blaze fan than others on this forum, so my reaction no doubt reflects that bias.  But, again, I get why they are doing what they are doing.  Fans of the Blaze era already have the studio versions anyway, and this might even get people to pick up TXF when they otherwise wouldn't. 

I think I might get this.  I believe it actually takes balls to release an album where the majority of fair weather fans won't be familiar with the songs, and the Eddie is awesome.  It would also make a great companion piece to SBIT.

The suprising omissions on here are From Here to Eternity, Wasting Love, Futureal, and Satellite 15...the Final Frontier.

LooseCannon said:
Hey, at least Maiden plays Blaze songs... Unlike Priest who refuses to play Ripper material. Now there's a band pissing on its history.

I will be so fucking pissed if they neglect them in the upcoming tour, as they are going to play "at least one song per album".

Back