Yes/no Thinking Game

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
A friend of mine uses this game as an ice-breaker when talking to groups of kids about the difference between "learning" and "thinking."
The exercise is designed to get you thinking about possibilities, rather than learning processes.

Here's how it works: I will give a scenario, and by asking yes-no questions, you have to figure out what the entire story is. (Because I'm nice, if the question has no relevance to the answer, I will tell you)

A blind man walked into a restaurant. He asked the waiter to bring him a plate of raw sea-gull meat. When it was brought to him, the man sampled the meat, paid his bill, and left the restaurant. He then committed suicide.

Why?

Remember, only yes-no questions!

(those who know the answer, please don't spoil it for those who want to play)

did the meat taste like chicken? [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I love those games [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]
I don't know this particular one though, so I can participate.

Was it really sea gull meat?

The question "Why?" is too vague. Do you mean "Why did he commit suicide?" or "Why did he sample the meat?" or some other "Why?" ?

[!--quoteo(post=130212:date=Mar 1 2006, 07:48 PM:name=SinisterMinisterX)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Mar 1 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]130212[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
The question "Why?" is too vague. Do you mean "Why did he commit suicide?" or "Why did he sample the meat?" or some other "Why?" ?
[/quote]

The question "why" actually includes the whole setting.

I think if we find out the answer to one "why", we'll get to the last one, that being "why did he commit suicide". [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Did he want to verify something about seagulls?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] did the meat taste like chicken?[/quote]
Irrelevant [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Did he leave the waiter a tip?[/quote]
Irrelevant

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Was it really sea gull meat?[/quote]
Yes

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Was he really blind?[/quote]
Yes

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Did he want to verify something about seagulls?[/quote]
Yes

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] Was he blind because of seagulls?[/quote]
No

Did he taste the meat to find out if he has eaten it before?

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--] Did he taste the meat to find out if he has eaten it before?[/quote]
Yes. (Are you sure you don't already know the answer?)

[!--quoteo(post=130231:date=Mar 1 2006, 09:25 PM:name=IronDuke)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(IronDuke @ Mar 1 2006, 09:25 PM) [snapback]130231[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]Are you sure you don't already know the answer?[/quote]Well, did he eat his seagull friend, or something?

Because these are pretty much one-liners, shouldn't this topic be in the Madness forum?

Was the sea-gull his guide bird and he was lost without it? (I'm really clutching at straws here)

Did the man literally walk into the restaurunt? Like into the building?

Back