Worst Single Lyric/Line

chaosapiant

Ancient Marinade
Listening to VXI the other day inspired me to start this thread.  What is your single least favorite line in all of Maiden's lyrics?  I found mine:

"There’s a lone dog howls in the park"

That line just kills me with the grammar that it almost makes no damn sense.  I still love the way Blaze says it though.  Also see "Man on the Edge" for more examples of how Blaze makes nonsense lyrics sound bad ass.

No brainer for me. As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew I was going to post this:

"In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth"

Makes me cringe every single time.

Easy.

And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them.

Don't need to tell you why this lyric is less than stellar.  Otherwise a great song.

Love,
Prance

Genghis Khan said:
Easy.

And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them.

Don't need to tell you why this lyric is less than stellar.  Otherwise a great song.

Love,
Prance

Love, Prance?  Seems strange..

chaosapiant said:
That line just kills me with the grammar that it almost makes no damn sense.  I still love the way Blaze says it though.  Also see "Man on the Edge" for more examples of how Blaze makes nonsense lyrics sound bad ass.

You're probably referring to the single most misquoted line in the Maiden discography. You know, the line everybody says is The car is an oven and baking is wild. Fact is, Blaze sings baking as wild. And all of the sudden, it even makes sense.

valacirca said:
"In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth"

This makes sense too. I don't see what's wrong with it. It fits to the rest of the lyrics, and wouldn't know what would be a better lyric line instead.

It's the cheesiest Iron Maiden lyric on one of the worst written Iron Maiden songs. It's comical in a "bad power metal" way. I don't like it.

We all know that dinosaurs, fossils and evolution are a government conspiracy. The world was created in seven days.

Either you're kidding, either I just realized why some people don't like such lyrics:
Because they take a certain Holy Book too literally. It doesn't speak of dinosaurs. Such people must love To Tame a Land as well. And The Number of the Beast.

So what you're saying is...

tumblr_l8i7ioZgfI1qd0d6wo1_400.jpg

:innocent:

Jonszat said:
Wait, you're trying to say there wasn't a time when Dinosaurs walked the earth?

No, I'm saying there was nott a time when both dinosaurs and men walked the earth at the same time.  Hence, in relation to the rest of the song, the line is historically inaccurate.

As long as no one of you have come with information on when this was known, the line was historically accurate in the time Steve wrote it, thus this criticism is unjustified.

That line was historically inaccurate when Steve wrote it. We knew of the approximate timeline for the development of man in the 1960s, and dinosaurs since the 1800s.

Back