Worst Single Lyric/Line

Is that your own interpretation or the band mentioned that somewhere? I mean, I understand the representation of the shadow as one's dark side but I am more interested in the actual image of a man without a shadow.
Who is, or rather what is a man who casts no shadow? A ghost, a vampire, an undead in general. If this is so, then they inherently have no soul and the lyric would then be just as pointless as finishing the song with "Today is Saturday".

That's my interpretation, but I really can't think of another one that makes sense. A man who cast no shad0w? Maybe someone who has no sin and no fault, but ends up not only being completely characterless and uninteresting, but also having nothing that drives him forward to becoming a better and bigger individual, hence leaving no mark in this world and having never made a difference.

I just edited my previous post, sorry.
That's what bothers me. I can't see much sense in it and Bruce obviously thought it was important, so he included it at the end.

I get what you mean, and I'm pretty stumped there. Always was, actually. I guess I really need to look into those lyrics again.

I really don't see it related to the rest of the lyrics at all.
The soul obviously links to reincarnation. But a man without a shadow can't be reborn? I just don't get it.

Actually, I think you guys are looking deeper than you need to with the darkside stuff.
The song uses birth as a metaphor for the trauma of personal growth and that line just sums it up.
A man standing in the shadows is unable to cast a shadow of his own.
The metaphor states that it is only by stepping out of the shadows and into the sun that you can cast a shadow of your own.
More literally, if you haven't taken that risk, or undergone that personal trial — stepped "out of the shadows" — you haven't lived, you "have no soul."
Great lyric.

Back