Worst Single Lyric/Line

LooseCannon said:
That line was historically inaccurate when Steve wrote it. We knew of the approximate timeline for the development of man in the 1960s, and dinosaurs since the 1800s.

Thanks mate. Still I'd like to have more info, where I can read myself on the exact discoveries on both the extinction of dinosaurs and the development of man.

E.g. when it comes to the dino's, on wiki I constantly read:
since the 1970s...

I haven't had time to look it up myself yet, and if you guys won't, I'll do it later, no prob.

Well, geologists were suggesting the time periods of the Cretaceous, Jurassic, and Triassic periods since the 1700s. Dinosaurs were found in those areas; the 1970s was the time of the dinosaur renaissance, when new scientific techniques taught us more about these terrible lizards than we ever thought possible.

Whereas people were found from rock strata appx 2 million years ago.

Forostar said:
Either you're kidding, either I just realized why some people don't like such lyrics:
Because they take a certain Holy Book too literally. It doesn't speak of dinosaurs. Such people must love To Tame a Land as well. And The Number of the Beast.

This one is really far off the mark, Foro.

Those who take that Holy Book too literally (I've had discussions with such people, they exist in Norway too) tend to accept the fact that dinosaurs have existed, but they try to link them to other huge creatures mentioned in the most "Jurassic" (pun intended) parts of the book.

I think those who dislike those lyrics, do so because the historical inaccuracy (which, as pointed out by LC, should have been obvious to 'Arry as well) makes the song sound too cartoonish - and I must admit it makes me think of The Flintstones  :D

I agree that the infamous 'Quest For Fire' lyrics are bad, really inaccurate.  Does anyone else feel a cringe when the "prancing" bit comes on during 'Dance of Death'?

Genghis Khan said:
Does anyone else feel a cringe when the "prancing" bit comes on during 'Dance of Death'?

Yes!  Elsewhere in this forum, I compared it to the dwarves dancing around Stonehenge.

I also nominate the ridiculously bad "gom jabbar" line from "To Tame a Land." 

valacirca said:
No brainer for me. As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew I was going to post this:

"In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth"

Makes me cringe every single time.
Yes, that line is VERY cheesy! The cheesiest of cheese!

From the forum rules:

In order to encourage quality discussion, moderators may delete any post of non-substantial content.  This includes posts containing just emoticons, one or two words ("Yes!", "I agree!"), or posts that contain simply a link with no comment from the user on the subject matter.

I'm bored. Make my day.

I don't see the big deal in quoting someone and saying that we agree with them. Sometimes it's not necessary to give a reason. Valacirca already said it makes him cringe so he already gave a good explanation.

cornfedhick said:
SinisterMinisterX said:
Just on the sound of it (not the content) the Muad'Dib line is worse.

I actually like the "gom jabbar" line. The thing with these lines from TTaL is that when you have the lyrics right in front of you they look pretty bad; but when you're listening to the song, it sounds and flows excellently. It's not like being hit with a sledgehammer of comical writing like QFF...

"Alexander the Great, he died of fever in Babylon."

There's nothing inaccurate about that one, it just plain sucks. Whole lyrics of that track are on high-school band level. And the music is top-notch virtuoso type. Which makes lyrics even worse. And when you think it can't get any worse, Steve decides to end this, musically beautiful, epic with the line that doesn't even rhyme.

P.S. i was going for Dokken but cornfed was faster.

From Tailgunner:

"Gonna blow your guts out with my gun"

Just simplistic, stupid, and put there to rhyme with "son".

SinisterMinisterX said:
Deserves a mention: Hooks in the ceiling for that well-hung feeling.
Yes!  People complain about the obvious swear-like "Fokker" on Tailgunner, but to me this is mock aggressiveness.  That's how I always saw it.  Hooks in You probably has the worst lyrics overall, even more so than Nicko's New Frontier, which to me gets the #2 position.
cornfedhick said:
Yes!  Elsewhere in this forum, I compared it to the dwarves dancing around Stonehenge.

I also mentioned that To Tame a Land has great riffs, but horrible lyrics.  Some novels should never be turn to a song literally.  This is one example.
Invader said:
I do now.  Before, it didn't bother me... :(

Why just now?  Doesn't it make you think of a little girl riding a unicorn over a rainbow?

Love,
Prance

:D

Zare said:
"Alexander the Great, he died of fever in Babylon."

There's nothing inaccurate about that one, it just plain sucks. Whole lyrics of that track are on high-school band level. And the music is top-notch virtuoso type. Which makes lyrics even worse. And when you think it can't get any worse, Steve decides to end this, musically beautiful, epic with the line that doesn't even rhyme.

P.S. i was going for Dokken but cornfed was faster.

Funny you mention that line, because I find that lyric, and the way it is sung, as the most passionate vocal line in the entire album.  Like everything literally coming to an end, and Bruce is narrating.  To each their own I suppose!

Perun's takedown of ATG's lyrics are around somewhere. Worth the time to read. So wrong.

The lyrics to Quest for Fire/Dance of Death are supposed to be tongue-in-cheek....

In terms of non-intentional cheesy lyrics I'd say the lyrics of Wildest Dreams are pretty moronic.

Also the whole Iron-Maiden-war-song is starting to get in the self parody realm,

Paschendale: "Blood is falling like the rain"
MoM: "Rivers flow with blood, There's nowhere left to hide, It's hard to comprehend there's anyone left alive"

Back