Worst Single Lyric/Line

Is this: Feel the paranoia creeping in like a cancer eating at your skin

If Maiden usually produced this kind of words, certainly i would hate them.

This is bad taste... awful bad taste.

Compared to this line, Charlotte's walking-down-the-street lyrics are nothing but fun.

How about "bring your daughter, bring your daughter to the slaughter, let her go let her go let her go!"? Come on ... this from the man who wrote Revalations? Give me a break!

Eddies Wingman said:
How about "bring your daughter, bring your daughter to the slaughter, let her go let her go let her go!"? Come on ... this from the man who wrote Revalations? Give me a break!
and more recently. STARBLIND. (his best contribution imo)

for such an awesome band, they do have some clunkers... but statistically speaking, you're going to get that with like 30 hours of music!

My votes go for the dinosaurs line from QFF, Hooks in You, Bring Your Daughter, and the dance/prance line from DoD (even though it makes perfect sense in the song, it is still kind of priss). But one no one has mentioned, that I cringe at every time, is "666, the number of the beast, 666, the one for you and me." Really? Not for me. Again, kind of a reach for a rhyme in a cheesy "oooh we're evil" kind of way.

Genghis Khan said:
Easy.

And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them.

Don't need to tell you why this lyric is less than stellar.  Otherwise a great song.

Love,
Prance
:yey: Great guitar rhythm.

I don't get the amusement around Prancing :)
Is there anything special about that verb? (I'm not native english speaker..)

Apperantly ass wiggeling comes to the mind of those who hear the word.

Also hurray, prance is back!

Wyrdskein said:
the way the line is sung doesn't help. It's just awkward. The album as a whole isn't that strong lyrically, but it definitely falls away after Starblind. The last three are very weak in my opinion.

What what what?!

"I danced an I pranced..."    I just lost the vibe when I heard that line. It is as bad as " in a time when dinosaurs walked the Earth." I have to skip those songs whenever they get shuffled into my Mp3 player.

I don't know why people hate that "I danced and I pranced" lyric :huh: Maybe it doesn't sound awkward to me because english is not my maternal language :ninja:

Prancing is something that is kind of effeminate. It is something that faries and unicorns do out in the woods. Not something the undead would be doing. Guess that is why it does'nt really fit the story of the song.

NightProwler666 said:
I don't know why people hate that "I danced and I pranced" lyric :huh: Maybe it doesn't sound awkward to me because english is not my maternal language :ninja:

Yeah, I find it weird as well just because of that reason

Hmm. I haven't posted my pick here so far?

I guess it would be, And all the politicians and their hollow promises.

You see, I've read up on the subject matter of Age of Innocence, I've started to understand what 'Arry's and most other Briton's feelings were at the time (and nowadays), and I've started to appreciate the lyric's subject matter. I still don't like the song overly much, but it probably has risen in my ratings. Nevertheless, the above line is simply terrible. It is the shallow, semi-informed statement you'd expect in your local pub, spoken by a drunkard who fails the wit to properly comment on recent events and instead dishes out banal platitudes. It's not a line worthy to be put in a Maiden song.

The ones that annoy me the most have to be the ones with dodgy grammar ('of that I'm certain of', Mother of Mercy, which is annoying because it's probably my favourite song on the album) and ones where the meaning of phrases is used wrongly ('thy shall be done', ATSS...'thy will be done' means thy *wishes* be done, not shall...another offender is 'say...that the nightmares they will come to pass', Fortunes of War, because that means that the nightmares are going to come true, not stop. It's really frustrating)
There were others I had in my head but luckily I'm now so incensed I can't remember them so I cannot lengthen my essay any more

Edit: Oh Christ I've remembered, 'a speck of dust in cosmic sand', Coming Home, Jesus I hate that so much

I'm almost certain it's "speck of dust and cosmic sand." "In" would make little sense. But yes, I really like that line. All in all, Coming Home is an excellent song, lyrically. My favorite from it may well be "We will ride this thunderbird..."

To me, grammatical errors are not a huge problem in a song or poem because, to me, how the line sounds is more important than whether it is perfect grammar (note that I am rather obsessive about grammar where prose is concerned). So things like "of that I'm certain of" don't greatly bother me.

I think it's hard to come up with a single worst line, because there are a lot that are technically quite cheesy, but I like their sound in the context of the song ("Knock on wood, you know I like that sound..." Or "In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth").

I also don't mind one of the most hated ones, "And I danced and I pranced," because I think there's nothing wrong with applying that description in the context (and I AM a native English speaker). My dictionary has two definitions for "prance," it says that one applies to horses and the other to people. The one applying to people says "to walk or move around with ostentatious, exaggerated movements." I'm guessing that if you were possessed by the undead in the woods, your movements might be ostentatious or exaggerated. So, though some may apply the line to horses, there is another entirely different and correct definition for "prance" applying to people that fits in that line.

Back