World War I & II topic

Am I alone in thinking that it is rather ironic to ask your countrymen and countrywomen to fight against the Nazis from the safety of UK exile??
Well, it's not like the Germans or Vichy French would let him use a radio station...

Well, it's not like the Germans or Vichy French would let him use a radio station...

He could have always stayed and fought to use one, couldn’t he? Yet he left a sinking ship like a rat instead of staying to fight against the Nazis... As far as I am concerned, what a hypocrite!

Although it's fair to say he wouldn't have been able to contribute to allied strategy from inside occupied France

Of course, but I have always found his attitude rather hypocritical. Let others resist while I enjoy the hospitality of les rosbifs...

Of course, but I have always found his attitude rather hypocritical. Let others resist while I enjoy the hospitality of les rosbifs...

It was either that or not organise resistance at all. He decided his skills as a commander and coordinator would come to their best effect if he used the infrastructure provided in Britain. I don't think it's any more hypocritical than what most generals throughout history did, place themselves on an elevated position to oversee the whole battlefield. It's only that this time, the battlefield was an entire continent.

There's also the matter that the French government had capitulated in a manner that it would be very easy to consider as legal. If he stayed, De Gaulle could either go underground and try to raise a force without the capacity of mass media, or he could join Petain's government.

Not even by the bowler hat or kilt?

9de4cc338d368ad8739ebd6fde0ba273.jpg

For one of my private classes we're working on reading comprehension and vocabulary. I asked her what her interests were and she said, "WWII." I've So I've been taking articles from here and finding some new ones.

THIS one: https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/05/3...IIs0HmWL6MSdkH2vYGYssC8c9fqpJZRCFoo7NY5_tSs5s

was an eye opener for me. I know for most of the people that post in this particular thread it probably isn't, but for a casual observer like myself it was mindblowing. As the article states, I was familiar with the U.S-centric narrative of "the bomb," in history books, articles, movies and even documentaries. The Pacific Theater is made out to be nothing more than naval battles in the middle of nowhere. I had no idea that Japan had been bomb for an entire summer by the allied forces. Great to get a better context of the events leading up to "the bomb," and Japan's ultimate surrender.

Back