World War I & II topic

I love that "When our freedom was under attack".

You know, the Japanese couldn't defeat the USA. Ever. Not in a million years.

Great cast, though. The part where the Dauntlesses dive on the carriers at the end looks great.

Roland Emmerich is directing.

Yes, that's a great film! That and Tora Tora Tora are the best films about the PTO.
They are good, the two Client Eastwood Iwo Jima movies are quite good as well.

For Midway, the book "Miracle at Midway" is a must read IMO

https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-at-M...68/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520382804898&psc=1

Went to two WWII related museums/monuments last week

In Pilsen, the General Patton Museum. It is really not that focused on Patton, but the liberation of Western Bohemia and the re-writing of the history of that event during the Communist years. Not a huge museum by any stretch, but quite detailed and well done. There were other monuments in the city to US infantry divisions and a "Thank You America" memorial.

Also in Prague the National Monument to the Heroes of the Heydrich Terror (they need a shorter name)

Set in the church cellar where the people who killed Heydrich were found and killed. Again, not that large, but very nicely done and well documented.

Saw the new Midway film on blu ray; so amazing.
Such great production on the sets and costumes.
Not too many of these films being made anymore. I can see how the script attracted so many actors. Can't stop thinking about this film and the brave pilots that changed the course of the Pacific theater.

Recommend all the making of documentaries in the Special Features part of the menu. Can really feel the effort and respect put into trying to get it right. They talk about not needing to make anything up because the true details are more than enough. However, if you read the Historical Accuracy section of the Wikipedia page for the film, you see how much WAS changed. I highly recommend watching Turning Point- the Legacy of Midway and We Met at Midway- Two survivors Remember both included on the blu ray.

Saw the new Midway film on blu ray; so amazing.
Such great production on the sets and costumes.
Not too many of these films being made anymore. I can see how the script attracted so many actors. Can't stop thinking about this film and the brave pilots that changed the course of the Pacific theater.

Recommend all the making of documentaries in the Special Features part of the menu. Can really feel the effort and respect put into trying to get it right. They talk about not needing to make anything up because the true details are more than enough. However, if you read the Historical Accuracy section of the Wikipedia page for the film, you see how much WAS changed. I highly recommend watching Turning Point- the Legacy of Midway and We Met at Midway- Two survivors Remember both included on the blu ray.

I saw it in the theater...still need to see 1917.

I thought Midway was pretty good. Might have been better skipping Pearl Harbor scenes, but I think a good "throwback" to 1970s war movies, with perhaps too many special effects.

If you have not seen it, I would recommend the 1976 movie of the same name. Quite good.

Today is VE Day, marking the 75th Anniversary of the surrender of Nazi Germany. The early May bank holiday has been moved to today to mark the occasion so everyone has a day off work. Obviously all the events that were planned have been significantly curtailed, but some people in my street have put bunting and flags up. This is generally the sort of occasion for British people to have street parties, but that's not allowed right now.

This afternoon the BBC will be replaying extracts from Winston Churchill's speech announcing the end of the war in Europe and solo buglers, trumpeters and cornetists have been asked to play 'The Last Post' from their doorsteps or windows at 14:55. In the evening a pre-recorded message from the Queen will be broadcast at the same time her dad gave a radio message in 1945.

The final message from the Nazis that was decoded at Bletchley Park has also been revealed. It was sent by a Lieutenant at Cuxhaven saying "British troops entered Cuxhaven at 1400 on 6 May. From now on all radio traffic will cease - wishing you all the best. Closing down for ever - all the best - goodbye". They're planning on digitizing all the messages that were decoded at Bletchley Park too.

Back