Which songs should be played live?

years ago, somewhere in Maiden BB, I've thrown this fuckin theory as Maiden suddenly drop Stranger In A Strange Land out of their setlist during Edhuntour - maiden's definition about "song that works well live", and that particular song must have this oooo-oooohhhh section or few octave part a la mid section of Fear Of The Dark then this song will automatically be selected as a compulsory part of their setlist! well, I'm just curious ..

I'm not sure if this needs to be in spoilers but just to be safe I'll put it in anyway.

This is a response to one of LooseCannon's earlier posts.

LC, I saw Maide play in seattle on June 22nd this summer. It was one of the few shows where they did play Paschendale
and I have to say their perfomance of it blew me away. Adrian and Bruce especially were terrific. I didn't notice any mistakes at all(not that I was looking for them).
I agree with you in that I wouldn't want Starblind played live if the boys couldn't do it justice, but after seeing Paschendale
performed so incredibly well I have faith that they could really "knock it at of the park"

Jeffmetal said:
I received a kick just beacuse I know every Maiden lyrics?  :uhm:

Pfff... what a fag act.
fag.gif

It wasn't me btw (if you think it is) . Ive even praised you because I I thought it was harsh someone kicked you. My user rating has also dopped  ;)

It's hard to know who is, isn't it? In any case, I gave one praise to you.

Thanx for the compliments, dude. :ok:

Some songs are certain. The opener, El Dorado, Coming Home and The Talisman. Since they have 10 songs on the new album my guess is they play 6 of them.

The last two? My guess would be one long and one short. Either MoM or The Alchemist, plus probably Where The Wild Wind Blows.

I'd love to hear Starblind or Isle of Avalon, but I don't think these will be played, and I think LC is on the point about it. It is a song where it will be hard to get the entire crowd going, just too complex. If they play it - great. But I don't think they will.

Eddies Wingman said:
It is a song where it will be hard to get the entire crowd going, just too complex.

I find that a lame argument. I don't mean LC or you, but I would find Maiden lame if they'd give in to such reasoning. I rather hear them say "we find it too difficult to play it live" instead.

Fortunately Maiden have played other complex songs in the past (SSOASS, Rime) and in 2006 they even did the whole album which also features some pretty complex ones. Lord of Light and The Legacy for example.

On the last tour, didn't they replace a BTATS with Wrathchild, because it gets the crowd going for El Dorado? Though since they dropped Paschendale because it was too hard to play, it might apply also here.

Mkoh said:
On the last tour, didn't they replace a BTATS with Wrathchild, because it gets the crowd going for El Dorado?

That was not the literal explanation but you could interpret it like that, yes.

Really hope they play Starblind. It's becoming one of the stand out tracks for me.

Please Maiden drop all the FOTD 2MTM RTTH crap  :puke:

Mkoh said:
Though since they dropped Paschendale because it was too hard to play, it might apply also here.

I really think this comment of Paschendale being to complex and therefore getting dropped has to be put in to perspective if referring this theory to why Starblind or Isle of Avalon will not be played.

Firstly, Paschendale had not been played live for over 5 years prior to its appearance this year.  That is a long time to remember how to play a complex song and its solos (in fact, this is why I feel the majority of Maiden's early songs apart from frequently played 'classics' will never again appear - ie it would take Maiden months to remember how to play Alexander The Great, let alone practice it).  Whilst there are complex songs on TTF, the band has recently written, practiced and recorded them and therefore the song structures should still be in the brain.

Secondly, apart from Nicko laughing in some interviews about how tough it is to play the 7/8 timing in Starblind and Isle of Avalon, those two songs do not seem overly complex to me.  As a guitarist i have be jamming along to the riffs in Starblind and they are kind of typical Maiden riffs.  THe toughest may be WTWWB...

Thirdly, Jeffmetal have a priase from me.  You've written some decent stuff over the past few months.  Is that Bruce in your picture?

Fourthly, they willplay Sat 15...TFF, El Dorado, Mother of Mercy, Coming Home, The Talisman, WTWWB...and maybe Starblind.

Thanx Mid Distance Runner and yes, that's Bruce and the greatest and most important guitarrist of Heavy Rock Metal - Francis 'Frank' Anthony Iommi.

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
(in fact, this is why I feel the majority of Maiden's early songs apart from frequently played 'classics' will never again appear - ie it would take Maiden months to remember how to play Alexander The Great, let alone practice it).  Whilst there are complex songs on TTF, the band has recently written, practiced and recorded them and therefore the song structures should still be in the brain.

Secondly, apart from Nicko laughing in some interviews about how tough it is to play the 7/8 timing in Starblind and Isle of Avalon, those two songs do not seem overly complex to me.  As a guitarist i have be jamming along to the riffs in Starblind and they are kind of typical Maiden riffs.  THe toughest may be WTWWB...
But while Maiden is taking all this time off before next year's tour, they could re-learn a few of those older solos.

Back