When The River Runs Deep

How good is When the River Runs Deep on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Yes,the chorus is not so good.Pretty much everything else is top notch.

And I like it. It's that weird kind of funny new stuff. I was expecting loud and high chorus in that song and then they give this strange, whiny chorus. It's so out of place that I love it.

Not a huge fan of the vocals on this one but I actually like the chorus and the riffs are great. Love the pace and the Man on the Edge vibe. There's also something of a The Nomad thing going on at one point.

I like this song very much. I know some people here think otherwise, but the fact that it is between 2 epics makes it great for me. It's like refreshing after TRATB, which takes much attention from the listener. I also love the fact that the chorus goes slow compared to the rest of the song - it's kinda unexpected and I find it cool. Ofc it isn't the best of TBOS, but it's a very good song. I want to see it live. 9/10

This song is starting to grow on me. It was kind of jarring when I first heard it, but it's a really fun song with some of the best riffing on the album. Also love the slowed down, sludgy chorus.

One of three I skip. Nothing to do with what comes before or after it either. I like the intro. Opening riff is very 70's...kind of an 80's Dio vibe to it. I can absolutely live with that part. But, the Chorus tempo & the chorus lyrics are just totally lame. Maybe for another band it'd work but, not for Maiden.

I LOVE the change of pace on the chorus! Really unexpected.... and very catch! I would like to see this one live...

I like the slow chorus if only for the power that "FREE FROM OUR LIIIIIIIIIIVES" smacks you in the face with. This is a killer tune. The bounce to the pre-verse riff is just great.

Weakest song on the first disc. The instrumental part is very good, and it has other good parts. It's far from weak. It's a decent song, but nothing great..

Official Lyrics:

Look for something that is hard to find
Searching somewhere deep inside your mind
Hope you find just what you’re looking for
Heaven’s waiting with an open door

If you should sell your soul as cheaply as I did then
The road to ruin is a long road to hide in
We signed our lives away to have an escape
It’s something that will be whatever our fate
There’s no use in hiding
Got to keep on trying
Can’t take no more lying
This is the last
There’s no time for crying
When some of us are dying
None of us decide what is our fate

Now with nothing to hide going nowhere
Take my chances and stand by their sides
When the river runs deep
And the line breaks
And the blood it flows
Free from our lives

Is this the last together maybe this time now
We stand together and we’re holding the line here
There’s nothing we can do just sit here and wait
The die is cast that is deciding our fate

There’s no use in hiding
Got to keep on trying
Can’t take no more lying
This is the last
There’s no time for crying
When some of us are dying
None of us decide
What is our fate

When the river runs deep
And the line breaks
And the blood it flows
Free from our lives
When the river runs deep
And the line breaks
And the blood it flows
Free from our lives

When the river runs deep
And the line breaks
And the blood it flows
Free from our lives
When the river runs deep
And the line breaks
And the blood it flows
Free from our lives

The only 2 real riffs of the song are heard during the middle and it's all open chords before and after that. Also, the verse vocal melodies are bad. Mediocre.

I was listening to the start of this and it suddenly came to me that it sounded like the Prophecy intro. However that's a good thing.
Pretty decent song that I think will grow on me in time.
There is so much to absorb with this album and I'm only up to track 5.

Verses and the main riff remind me too much of The Alchemist which isn't a good thing. Solo section is quite interesting though... but it's still pretty much an average song.

The opening riff is very cool, reminds me of Sea of Madness. From there it sounds like a bit of Van Halen mixed with Man on the Edge.
The chorus is the problem though. The tempo change doesn't work at all.

It remind me of Wasted Years on Flight 666. I love the sound of the guitars and liked the lyrics very much... I do think it gets a bit too long but thankfully it ends before getting to boring

This is a strange song. Whenever I hear it, I think it's the least special song on the album, somewhat akin to The Alchemist and The Pilgrim. But for some reason, it's the one that gets stuck in my head the most often when I'm not listening to any music. Even more than Empire.

Back