What songs/albums have you changed your mind the most drastically about, since you started listening to IM?

20 years ago NPFTD was at the bottom of my Maiden album ranking. I had No Pleasure From This Disc back then but right now...it might be even Top 10. Some really great stuff here.
Yup... it was kind of a let down when I picked it up the day it came out to me also. It was the second album I saw Maiden giving birth to (first one being Seventh Son) and that explains a lot. There were some songs I loved from the get go like Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, and Bring Your Daughter. But with the passing of time I can easily add to these PEN1, Fates Warning, Run Silent Run Deep, Mother Russia and the title track's live version. Songs that somehow lack the genius, epic flavor and attention on detail of the previous albums but great songs nonetheless. And although It's ranked at #12 (#11 at best) I can also say I like it way more nowadays.

Even though I heard Seventh Son first and then Number of the Beast, Somewhere in Time, Live after Death, and Powerslave, in 1992 I finally heard both No Prayer and Fear of the Dark. I was 12 and didn’t really have any friends who liked Maiden and only knew they were the newer Maiden albums, I loved them both to pieces. I wasn’t a critical enough thinker or exposed to any fan negativity and I believe that is why I still love those albums to this day. To my younger self, it was just more awesome Iron Maiden. And it still is.

Even though I heard Seventh Son first and then Number of the Beast, Somewhere in Time, Live after Death, and Powerslave, in 1992 I finally heard both No Prayer and Fear of the Dark. I was 12 and didn’t really have any friends who liked Maiden and only knew they were the newer Maiden albums, I loved them both to pieces. I wasn’t a critical enough thinker or exposed to any fan negativity and I believe that is why I still love those albums to this day. To my younger self, it was just more awesome Iron Maiden. And it still is.
Fear of the Dark was my second Maiden album after VXI. Although it is not my favourite album, I really enjoy it. It wasn’t until I went on the IMBB back in 2002 that I realised that there was so much ‘hate’ for the album.

I used to think The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg is the cheesiest song on AMOLAD (even though it is in my top 5 Maiden albums). While I still believe the intro could have been a bit shorter but lately I've been digging the vibe in it, a lot. The main riff is cool, so is the breakdown-like harmony and the solo.

I won't say I didn't like it, but never really cared that much about Man On The Edge. On a few recent listens, I felt, had the production been better, it could have reach "The Trooper like" status (atleast for me). Really like the "Freewheel Burning" styled riffs. The entire band sounds tight on it! :edmetal:

I used to be indifferent to No Prayer...

... Now I think it's a (by Maiden's standards) shit album that is better off forgotten.

:D

Big bump!

I think I’ve cooled the most on Book of Souls since release. At the time it felt like a rejuvenated band, more energy and more direct Maiden-y songs compared to the proggier Final Frontier. Bruce sounds better too which makes a huge difference. Since then, all those things are still true (particularly Bruce’s performance) but I feel that TBOS is the most filler-y reunion album other than DoD. Lots of songs just don’t really go anywhere and despite the double album format it feels like the album probes less ground than its predecessors. Also while I don’t dislike the song nearly as much as many people here, Red and the Black doesn’t really live up to expectations for a Rime-length Harris epic, especially in light of what we got on Senjutsu.

On the other end of the spectrum, this is the stereotypical answer but I really do find myself appreciating X Factor more every time I hear it. I remember buying the album summer 2010 and it just didn’t fit the sunny days and good vibes that were happening. But awhile later, on a dark winter day when the vibes weren’t as good, the album hit the spot. It’s the only Maiden album where the environment and state of mind you’re in makes that much of a difference for me. Senjutsu comes close, but that album kinda “fixed” the X Factor formula really just by having some Smith/Dickinson bangers to break things up more. It shows what kind of album X Factor could have been with that writing team, although I still love the album for what it is.

Most of my opinions have held, obviously the favourite song of the day changes from day to day

From the classic era, Killers and Piece of Mind were my least favourites when I started listening in the 90s. Now, I rate them as highly as the rest of the classic era albums.

From the 90s albums, FOTD was very exciting to me when I became a fan in 1993 because it was new, but its mediocre parts and dated production are now more obvious to me. I always liked the Blaze era anyway, and I still do.

From the reunion era, I think I prefer the first three reunion albums 2000-2006 because they had more energy. I can always enjoy BNW, DOD and AMOLAD start to finish. They each have the vibe of a band aged still in their 40s just about ;) who are recapturing their glory :)

I love many of the songs from the latter three reunion albums but the whole albums are inconsistent, overlong and based on overused ideas.

TFF always had a weaker first half... (love the second half)
TBOS was always problematic for me due to the lack-luster Empire of the Clouds which is 20% of the album runtime!... (love the rest!)
Senjutsu is a superb mature Maiden album albeit with the played out long song wriiting format that is now overused... (but I still love it!)

As the band aged into their later 50s, 60s and beyond they are still awesome but in a more venerable way.

Last edited:
I used to be indifferent to No Prayer... ... Now I think it's a (by Maiden's standards) shit album that is better off forgotten.
Even if it's a weaker album by Maiden standards, the album is not weaker/less interesting than Killers imo (apart from 2 songs). The album could have been completely different with 3 longer songs.
and dated production are now more obvious to me.
FOTD's production is far from dated for me.
TBOS was always problematic for me due to the lack-luster Empire of the Clouds...
Wow. I get it's too long and has a piano, but I think it's full of interesting and emotional parts for the listener. And it's just one song from 11. I prefer a classic approach from Maiden (like Book Of Souls and Red And Black) and Bruce solo, but when the different approach is done great it's a big bonus. There is emotion in every (different for the artist) style, especially for them, to shine as always.
Senjutsu is a superb mature Maiden album albeit with the played out long song wriiting format that is now overused... (but I still love it!)
Imo not more overused than the same style and approach for every album more or less, like some other bands.
but I feel that TBOS is the most filler-y reunion album other than DoD. Lots of songs just don’t really go anywhere and despite the double album format it feels like the album probes less ground than its predecessors. Also while I don’t dislike the song nearly as much as many people here, Red and the Black doesn’t really live up to expectations for a Rime-length Harris epic, especially in light of what we got on Senjutsu.
I disagree about the double album. The ''filler-y'' material (disagree again) could be because of some of the other really strong songs, the contrast. There is probably some truth about TRATB, but in terms of melodies, it's one of Maiden's best.

Last edited:
Even if it's a weaker album by Maiden standards, the album is not weaker/less interesting than Killers imo (apart from 2 songs). The album could have been completely different with 3 longer songs.

FOTD's production is far from dated for me.

Wow. And it's just one song from 11.

Imo not more overused than the same style and approach for every album more or less, like some other bands.

I disagree about the double album. The ''filler-y'' material (disagree again) could be because of some of the other really strong songs, the contrast. There is probably some truth about TRATB, but in terms of melodies, it's one of Maiden's best.
Each to their own, it's why the Maiden catalogue has enough variety to keep us all engaged.

Nice to know your ears are happy in an early 90s production style! FOTD is produced in a way that dates it to its era, and lucky for you that is still cool! :bigsmile:

Regarding Empire of the Clouds, it is a showpiece on TBOS with a lot of hype as Maiden's longest song. For me -- and for me alone -- it totally fails to deliver enough exciting musicianship to justify its length. It reminds me of those longer power metal songs with a 'Broadway Musical' feel to them.

Fair play to the many Maiden fans who love Empire... I'm not telling you what to think. For me, TBOS is an fantastic 74 minute album with a bonus experimental 18 minute Bruce composition tacked on the end. Much like I ignore Loch Ness at the end of Angel of Retribution by priest (yes, Loch Ness is worse, but you get my point). Red and Black + TBOS title track are the style of epics I love Maiden for.

Me not liking Empire of the Clouds is probably also why I don't rate parts of the Mandrake Project that highly. Bruce's orchestral indulgences are not where I think his voice and vibe shines, but that's just my preference. Bruce thinks its more 'emotional and mature', and again, fair play to him if that's a style he now loves in his mid 60s.

Last edited:
For the better:

Iron Maiden
This was mostly due to thinking that this album sounded like shit. Listening to the 2015 remaster made me reconsider this stance.

The Number of the Beast
This was an attitude problem. Oh, don't give me the casual stuff - give me all of the deep cuts!, thinking that the three track were the only reason that it appeared in so many #1 lists, and whatnot. This is an amazing and a strong album - while not at my #1, I'll never argue with anyone who has it at #1.

A Matter of Life and Death
I used to think of this as a Diet X Factor. I definitely still prefer The X Factor over this any day of the week - but there's no denying in the themes and lyrics being strong.

For the worse:

A Matter of Life and Death
Realizing that there's no denying in the themes and lyrics being strong greatly raised my opinion of this album. Realizing that they kept the anthems to a minimum lowered it slightly.

FWIW my favourite post reunion Album is AMOLAD. I consider it akin to Revolver- every band member seems to be at the very top of their game. Seeing the album performed in entirety emphasised how well it gels together.

Least fave are probably Senjitsu and to a lesser extent the Final Frontier.

I used to love the song ‘No Prayer for the Dying’. However since the Talking Maiden boys compared it to Kirk Van Houten’s ‘Can I Borrow A Feeling?’, I can’t help but think of that song everytime I listen to it!

Back