What Iron Maiden song you heard first?

2003 on kerrang tv when they played good music. i was 10, i then got my mum and dad to get me Edward the great which was the last greatest hits album at the time. My dad warned me might be too heavy for me, few months later i saw iron maiden on Death on the road tour in manchester 13th december. since then ive seen em on every single tour they played a gig in the UK.

Run to the Hills, as soon as the single was released. I was 12, and spending a few days in a in London family (an anglican priest's family!) during a school travel. I liked the song, but wasn't mad for it. When I got home in France, by chance, a friend of mine told me he had just bought a cassette, didn't like it and wanted to sell it. It was Killers. I listened to the whole album in his bedroom and was blown away. So Run to the Hills is the answer, but The Ides of March is the very song that made a big impression. I know it was april 1982, but I'd love to know the exact day to celebrate it.

2 Minutes to Midnight, thanks to the brilliant child corrupting game of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Then I really got into them for a bit but lost interest for a while until I saw them win the Brit award on tv and accept it over a video with the SBiT Eddie... then I listened through their discography, bought their discography and I've gone to great length to see them on every tour since.

First song I heard was "The Wicker Man" on Radio 1, when it was released in 2000 - I was 11 at the time. Immediately fell in love with it, and it's still one of my favourite Maiden songs. Later lost interest for a few years, and then rediscovered them in 2007 by listening to my copy of "Rock in Rio" again.

The Number of the Beast, shortly followed by Rime of the Ancient Mariner. One of the two, I can't remember. But, those two songs placed Maiden firmly in my memory, and I had to hear more

The Wicker Man. Somewhere in the first half of the 2000's. I don't know which year even, have nothing in the memory which I can tie to a specific time. I was around 11 years old I believe, but could easily be wrong. I remember thinking it was good - but it was the start of Ghost of the Navigator that really hooked me. That intro...

Funny thing is, I still listen to the records I listened to when I was 8-9 years old today.

The Wicker Man is ultimately what got me back into Maiden, after years of ignoring them.

I'm gonna echo the previous two posters and say: The Wicker Man.

I have distant memories of hearing and seeing the video for Run to the Hills, but not paying much attention to it. When I heard Wicker Man, I was captivated.

First song I heard: Number of the Beast
First song I heard I liked: Prowler
The song that made me a fan: The Trooper

I'll be damned.

That was also when I first heard them, as a child. :p It was years before I got into Maiden, so I had no idea at the time that it was Maiden! When I actually heard Phantom for the first time proper years later on "Live After Death", I remember saying as soon as it started "Hey, it's that music from the Daley Thompson Lucozade ad!" :lol:

The first time I heard Maiden, whilst knowing who it was, was hearing "Can I Play With Madness" on the UK Top 40 chart show on Radio One. And that was what started it all for me. :)

Last edited:
I have a similar story about Slayer. Back when I was a kid, I used to love the movie Gremlins 2. It had a mutation scene with "evil" music playing in the background. I then forgot all about that. Then I watched the movie again for old time's sake a couple of years ago, and I noticed that was actually Angel of Death! :blink:

I have a similar story about Slayer. Back when I was a kid, I used to love the movie Gremlins 2. It had a mutation scene with "evil" music playing in the background. I then forgot all about that. Then I watched the movie again for old time's sake a couple of years ago, and I noticed that was actually Angel of Death! :blink:

When I first watched that movie, I'd only very recently became a Slayer fan (both events happened in 1990), so that scene was an awesome surprise for me! :) The first Gremlins film is better though... :p

Both have their merits. The first is a very cool horror comedy, and overall a tighter film. The second one is just silly, goofy fun. It's been years again since I saw it, but I can't help but chuckle right now at some of the jokes. Especially the outdated ones. Electric revolving doors, ain't that a source for mayhem? :D

Both have their merits. The first is a very cool horror comedy, and overall a tighter film. The second one is just silly, goofy fun. It's been years again since I saw it, but I can't help but chuckle right now at some of the jokes. Especially the outdated ones. Electric revolving doors, ain't that a source for mayhem? :D

Don't get me wrong, I really like the second film too, it's simply that the original is very close to my heart, and one of my fave movies of all time. The 2nd movie is a lot more humorous, with a lot of slapstick in it. And I enjoy the wackier nature of it! The brain gremlin is hilarious, and the finale of him singing "New York, New York" always makes me giggle, and brings a smile to my face. xD The first movie is really ingenious the way it turns the traditional Christmas movie on it's head, with it's black humour and dark elements, but still managing to retain a festive atmosphere, and feel-good cutesy aesthetics due to Gizmo, and the moral life lessons embedded within the story. :)

I fully agree with you there. The first one is an all-round classic. I even had the novelisation of the first film. I just have fonder memories of the second, because it was the first English language movie I watched and understood in its entirety.

Back