what do you think of the upcoming anniversary TNOTB cassette release?

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
my first thoughts:
Maiden have various talents. one of their outstanding talents is: trying to milk their fans for money.
yes, I am somewhat a hardcore fan, but no, I won't buy this.

Gotta say that I dont care that much. Kinda fun with some stuff. I wont buy it, but im sure some people think its fun and wanna collect it. Great for them. I just hope Maiden will release more things when the time is right. Metallica is amazing at that. They release things I really want to get

Out of all the things Maiden tries to sell this is definitely one of the better items. A nice nod to the 80s and old school casette tape enthusiasts!

Out of all the things Maiden tries to sell this is definitely one of the better items. A nice nod to the 80s and old school casette tape enthusiasts!
This is how I feel. People like different formats for different reasons and it’s nice to see them throw a bone to the cassette market. I’ll be passing on it for now, personally, but may purchase it another time. Not having a working cassette player kind of hurts my wanting to get it at the moment.

For a landmark 40th anniversary of one of the most revered rock albums of all time they should have done a lot more.

How about a 4 disc CD / 2 DVD deluxe edition:-
Disc 1 - Remastered TNOTB album (incl. Total Eclipse as a bonus track)
Disc 2 & 3 - ‘Beast over Hammersmith’ full concert. (For everybody that missed out on Eddie’s Archives boxset)
Disc 4 - ‘Reading Festival 1982’ full concert. (Only an edited version was included in the BBC Archives CD).
DVD 1 - Classic Albums - TNOTB plus Run to the Hills & TNOTB music videos.
DVD 2 - Full ‘Beast over Hammersmith’ concert.

Or they could re-release the album on a novelty format I’m sure 99% of people no longer own. Shocking.

Last edited:
For a landmark 40th anniversary of one of the most revered rock albums of all time they should have done a lot more.

How about a 4 disc CD deluxe edition:-
Disc 2 & 3 - ‘Beast over Hammersmith’ full concert. (For everybody that missed out on Eddie’s Archives boxset)
Disc 4 - ‘Reading Festival 1982’ full concert. (Only an edited version was included in the BBC Archives CD).

Or they could re-release the album on a novelty format I’m sure 99% of people no longer own. Shocking.
This. Maiden are so poor at releasing archival stuff. Just look at the latest Sabbath releases. Excellent stuff.

I don't really think about it either. But now, when you asked...

I don't really think it's that bad? I mean, cassettes have been quite popular format making it's comeback over the past couple of years. The oweners of the biggest record shop chain here in Finland actually talked about that in a interview somewhere that it's bit of a trend now, as cassettes are somewhat cheap to produce, so the gross margin is rather good from the perspective of both, the initial producer (due to production costs) and retailer, as there seems to be growing demand.

Not sure how long this trend goes on and how widespread it is, after all, but I really don't see anything too shocking or otherwise atrocious with this. A lot of people sure buy this. I won't, as I'm completely happy with the most recent black vinyl release and 2015 CD remaster of it. I also have the 1998 remaster if a I want to listen to Total Eclipse and I wouldn't mind that being available in Spotify/YouTube music/etc. but yeah...

Re-releasing Beast Over Hammersmith (also as vinyl) would be cool, but other than that, given that they've probably released and already re-released most if not everything they have from that time, I can't say I'm disappointed at the slightest.

Re-releasing Beast Over Hammersmith (also as vinyl) would be cool, but other than that, given that they've probably released and already re-released most if not everything they have from that time, I can't say I'm disappointed at the slightest.

Let's get Beast over Hammersmith on double cassette! :cool:

Do many people still have a cassette players? Just don't see the advantages of them anymore apart from nostalgia.
and even in the 1980s the vinyl versions of the albums were better simply beacause of the ridiculous small size of the cover artwork. and there always had to be the compromise with the shape and dimension with no square possible in the end. this annoyed me with no other relaeases so much than them ones from Iron Maiden.

How about a 4 disc CD / 2 DVD deluxe edition:-
DVD 1 - Classic Albums - TNOTB plus Run to the Hills & TNOTB music videos.
DVD 2 - Full ‘Beast over Hammersmith’ concert.

I would love this! Wish Maiden would do more with special releases. I have to believe we are getting an Eddie’s Archive 2 at some point. Maybe they are waiting for the band to call it quits and then they will start emptying the vaults.

I suspect it wasn't edited but that's all that was broadcast. There may not be any else recorded.

I can't say that for certain re: Reading, but re donington 88, back in the day a mate's brother had taped the BBC broadcast off the radio and what was on that was what was on the Maiden release.

I can't say that for certain re: Reading, but re donington 88, back in the day a mate's brother had taped the BBC broadcast off the radio and what was on that was what was on the Maiden release.

Some of the best performances of the entire career there, especially Seventh Son. The fast section of that song on that night, for me, is on the top of the list of unsurpassed live metal.

So I rechecked bootlegs, and it seems like there's no tampering. What's on official audio release is 100% what happened that night.

Seems a rather low key way to celebrate the 40th Anniversary.

I've no interest in purchasing new cassettes, but to be honest, as I have a couple of copies of the album on CD plus a vinyl version from when I got into the band back in the early 90s. I have no need for another copy, whatever the format.

If they are going to get a sale out of me then they would have to include it in a box set with some stuff I don't have, which would have to be either live stuff or documentary stuff, as I don't see them ever offering up demos or alternative mixes.

I tell ya, I'd LOVE like a deluxe vinyl box set of the album the same way did like the box set vinyl re-releases of their reasonably decent albums.

Cool for those who love these (I admit, it must be a very niche market for this). If you don’t want it or need it, just don’t buy it.

I much prefer new editions of their music and merchandise, instead of mobile phone games and beers.

Back