War Of Epics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were there any criteria for these seeds or was it just done randomly?

Yes there were criteria. Those will be explained when the brackets are revealed. They aren't complex, and I'd call the final draw "semi-random".

If you're asking "does SMX's opinion of the music get into the seeding" - no. Not at all. The seeding criteria that NP and I discussed was put into Excel and it's all digitally determined from there.

So Stygian vs Halo (should be an easy win, no offence), Child vs Damien (pretty hard to call actually), Ghost vs Sol Invictus (interesting match-up, I think Ghost will take though) and Free Bird vs Suffering (Free Bird is better, but Suffering will win anyway).

The order in which your opponents are listed is not related to the brackets / seeding. This is deliberate, as NP wants those brackets kept secret.

Your assumptions about your matchups is wrong. If you want to keep trying, there are 23 more possible combinations for you to consider. :smartarse:

The lineup for the War of Epics:

Division 1
Div1.png

Division 2
Div2-1.png

Division 3
Div3-1.png

Division 4
Div4.png

Last edited:
Yes there were criteria. Those will be explained when the brackets are revealed. They aren't complex, and I'd call the final draw "semi-random".

Remember the draft? All the first-round songs are seeds 1-16, second round is 17-32 and so on.

Within those groups, songs were seeded on these two criteria:
1. Number of people who had the song on their list
2. Duration, longer song gets the higher seed

This seeding was double checked to ensure that the 4 songs you picked will face songs picked by 4 other people. Your songs don't fight each other, and you don't battle the same person twice. All of this applies to the first round only - you may battle yourself or repeat opponents beyond that. Only one change was needed to ensure this condition - two seeds (58 and 59) exchanged places.

Last edited:
Pretty balanced pairings overall I'd say. Just by looking at a few though I can tell that some songs are already doomed.

I just noticed an error in Division 3. I have the artist for "Ballad Of William Kidd" as Iced Earth. Is it actually Running Wild.

Woo hoo, #1 seed! And yes, even though it's not intended to be, I can't help feeling a little competitive. Pointless and stupid? Yes. But I promise not to talk trash to Ariana.

I see Supper's Ready and The Court of the Crimson King as a first round matchup. Both songs were drafted by me. Or have I not understood the rules correctly?

Aha! Good catch. The two seeds I swapped were 58 and 59 (not 36-37). Cathedral Spires is #58 and Court Of The Crimson King is #59. I read my list wrong when I made those images... I'll make corrected images tomorrow.

Wait! I found an error! Abbey Road Medley, not the entire second side!

Most of the second side. "Here Comes The Sun" and "Because" are excluded, but the remainder of the side (starting with "You Never Give Me Your Money") is one large medley.

It is more than just Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End. That final bit of the medley alone is not long enough to qualify. The entire medley - all of side 2 except the first 2 songs - is what's on the table.

Pretty balanced pairings overall I'd say.
I wonder how you concluded that, or in other words: what is balanced pairings in your opinion? That these songs are tough matches, that there are no or hardly easy wins?

Or: that the srongest (most popular) songs are spread well over the game?

Or balanced, in a sense that several styles are spread over the game?

Most of the lesser songs have a fair chance, they're not being paired with juggernauts for the most part. Of course there are some exceptions, The Dark Ride and At the Heart of Winter are almost certainly doomed, but it'd probably be impossible to get a perfect balance and I think this is about as close as you could get.

I counted 13 that are probably doomed which really isn't too bad for a game this size.

I counted 13 that are probably doomed which really isn't too bad for a game this size.
I see a number of first- and second-round upset alerts. Dante's Inferno is one of my Cinderella Sweet 16 picks. Just calling it now so I can say I told you so later. :p A potential Thel/Puppets second-round match-up is effing nuts.

Good job on the brackets, there is no clear Group of Death, and I have no idea what song will make it out of Division 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back