Vinyl reissues

You can also check out short snippets from the 2015 remasters here: http://www.hdtracks.com/van-halen-2015-remaster-225943?format=FLAC
Again, the word is that the 24/96 is brickwalled like the recent CD reissue, but the 24/192 is roughly the same as the vinyl. But I agree with your approach, which is basically what I did: buy one and and go from there if you like it.

Yeah .. Van Halen 1 is ordered and should get to my house tomorrow ... there is not a much more "summery" rock band than Van Halen, looking forward to cranking that over the 4th of July

The 2015 Van Halen’s are flat transfers. Sure that what everyone says they want all the time but they are boring IMO. Original LP’s smoke them. The 2010 Rhinos also done by CB smoke them as well.

Listening to the Brave New World now, backing vocals sound real good compared to the CD, there's even a part in the nomad where I never noticed it was bruce going "ahhh ahhh", had always thought it was synth or keys

So I'm looking at the new No Prayer and I've noticed that Tailgunner is written on the back as two words, Tail Gunner. Checked the disc and lyric sleeve, clearly two words. I always knew it as being spelled as one word. Checked the CD (1990 pressing) and it's indeed spelled as one word. Even itunes spelled it this way, and that's supposedly where this version was sourced from. Does the original LP have it spelled "Tail Gunner" too?

BTW listening to the LP and after hearing the other new reissues this one is pretty bad in comparison. A prime example of vinyl not necessarily being better. Between the less than stellar sound and the artwork error, it seems like they really cheaped out on this album in particular. Even Virtual XI seemed like it was given more care!

So I'm looking at the new No Prayer and I've noticed that Tailgunner is written on the back as two words, Tail Gunner. Checked the disc and lyric sleeve, clearly two words. I always knew it as being spelled as one word. Checked the CD (1990 pressing) and it's indeed spelled as one word. Even itunes spelled it this way, and that's supposedly where this version was sourced from. Does the original LP have it spelled "Tail Gunner" too?

BTW listening to the LP and after hearing the other new reissues this one is pretty bad in comparison. A prime example of vinyl not necessarily being better. Between the less than stellar sound and the artwork error, it seems like they really cheaped out on this album in particular. Even Virtual XI seemed like it was given more care!

Too bad. It's just one word on the original LP:

Attachments

• IMG_0271.JPG
    IMG_0271.JPG
    294.1 KB · Views: 9

I have the original UK LP and the US red vinyl so I can check both later and see if there's any trans-atlantic descrepancies.

Got the last 4 today ... my least anticipated set. FF I am looking forward to, the others .. eh, probably will not listen to them all that often. But I got them all :)

Yea I wasn't a big fan of how they paced the releases, should've been AMOLAD this month instead of DOTR. I've got TFF and En Vivo coming today, will get the last two this weekend maybe.

Me too, but now my excitement level is for the last batch is lower.

Exactly ... not sure why they did not do it in release order .. guess it does not really matter now as they are all out.

Definitely one word on cassette and original US red vinyl. Quite shoddy that they fucked that up. Hopefully you got a rare misprint but I doubt it. On a similar note, my Piece of Mind cassette is back to front ie the fold is on the right hand side. Anyone know if that is standard? Is it a misprint and worth 6 million brick? Off topic, I know but sure its Friday

I really doubt it's a misprint because it's written as Tail Gunner all over the album jacket, sleeve lyrics, and actual disc. A misprint would've just been on one of the three.

I think Tail Gunner (2 words) is actually correct .. at least in the US. Maybe they were fixing an old mistake. In any case ... it is the same song :)

Despite other flaws on the pressing, I have to think this one was intentional. A very strange George Lucas-esque revision though if that's the case.

Listening to TFF now ... I have not played it in a while. Sounds good, Isle of Avalon sounds nice.

Back