USA Politics

I was born during the rabbit-attack guy’s time in office. For the “land of the free” we sure gotta lotta racists in that office.
I mean I knew deep down that most of the early presidents were slaveholders but I didn't think it was 10 of the first 17, and William Henry Harrison didn't own slaves only because he wanted to be a soldier so he sold his plantation inheritance to his brother immediately. So I guess he owned slaves for as long as it took the paperwork to clear. Then there were the three doughheads who didn't own slaves but like, they were totally cool with slavery, saying things like "The institution of slavery should not be considered a political issue" like what?!

As I’ve gotten older it’s become harder and harder for me to find any love at all for my country, The United States. Every major institution of our government is founded on lies, deceit, blood, and hypocrisy. It’s a land of slave owners who wanted to be free. A land where all men are created equal as long as you’re a man, white, Christian, and heterosexual. We are not number one in any category of importance except for maybe our military. Not the best in education, crime, progressiveness, rights, or even economy.

And if it wasn’t clear before, the nation just stood up on January 6th and showed the world what we really are. Almost HALF of this country supports a lunatic who has provided zero proof of fraud, and is determined to tear the country apart. The parallels between Trump and Hitler’s rise to power are uncanny. And if you’d told me four years ago that half the country would support this lunacy, and not just the backwoods red necks who don’t want laws touching their guns but are super ok with their laws touching a woman’s fetus, I’d never have believed you. But here we are.

As a white man that lives in the US south east, its fucking appalling how many members of my family are still pro Trump. They all talk about how Christian they are. As a Christian this and a Christian that. Hell, my own father once told me if I ever date a black girl he’d disown me. Good ol Americans! Standing up for what they believe in: tyranny, racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, and the idea that violence is fine as long as our economy keeps spinning.

Its hard to be a patriot these days, let me tell ya. Sorry for the the rant.

I can see this entire unhappy saga ending with Trump living out the remainder of his life in a maximum security mental hospital, where he spends his days ranting into a specially-written computer interface which looks exactly like Twitter but actually posts nowhere.

It could be a solution. The guy is clearly demented. The sooner he is stopped, the better.

kamala-harris-vogue.jpg

Saw some articles saying this Vogue cover was not up to snuff. Can't really judge that. Some criticize her shoes as well, and those people are wrong (I can judge that).
I also want to say that I really look forward to her.

Last edited:
The issue is that Kamala had done a photoshoot in a suit with professional shoes, and they had agreed with Vogue to use that one, then Vogue switched it. It's unfortunate, because there are absolutely people out there who will say that Kamala is wearing sneakers, she doesn't respect being VP, etc.

The issue is that Kamala had done a photoshoot in a suit with professional shoes, and they had agreed with Vogue to use that one, then Vogue switched it. It's unfortunate, because there are absolutely people out there who will say that Kamala is wearing sneakers, she doesn't respect being VP, etc.
The good news is that anyone who says she can't be professional or respect the office because of "sneakers" is someone whose opinion never has to be listened to again. :D

It's funny. Every damn time Democrats are in charge, physical appearance somehow gets on the top of the news agenda. Obama wore a grey suit - Fox screamed it was unpresidential, while the entirety of the last 4 years have been unpresidential. Harris wore sneakers = Disrespecting the office. Fox also questioned the manufacturing origins of Hillary Clinton's pantsuit.

It's funny. Every damn time Democrats are in charge, physical appearance somehow gets on the top of the news agenda. Obama wore a grey suit - Fox screamed it was unpresidential, while the entirety of the last 4 years have been unpresidential. Harris wore sneakers = Disrespecting the office. Fox also questioned the manufacturing origins of Hillary Clinton's pantsuit.

People made fun of Trump's appearance all the time, just not the media from the Trump camp. There was also a mini-scandal about how Kellyanne Conway disrespected the office by putting her shoes on the couch once. Don't pretend the Democrat camp isn't this petty.

People made fun of Trump's appearance all the time, just not the media from the Trump camp. There was also a mini-scandal about how Kellyanne Conway disrespected the office by putting her shoes on the couch once. Don't pretend the Democrat camp isn't this petty.
People, yes. That's the mob mentality of the internet for you. Can't say I have seen any actual American news outlets, i.e. Washington Post, NY Times or AP, in their news reporting questioning Trump's choice of clothing or mocked his tan. Didn't know about Conway though, that is pretty much the same thing.

Last edited:
It could be a solution. The guy is clearly demented. The sooner he is stopped, the better.
He must be stopped, there's nothing else for it. But the thing is, I was only half joking. The senario I outlined is the logical conclusion of what I think is becoming increasingly apparent to most people: that there is something going on in Trump's head which cannot be entirely attributed to the toxic combination of arrogance, narcissism and vanity :(

He must be stopped, there's nothing else for it. But the thing is, I was only half joking. The senario I outlined is the logical conclusion of what I think is becoming increasingly apparent to most people: that there is something going on in Trump's head which cannot be entirely attributed to the toxic combination of arrogance, narcissism and vanity :(

I think I have mentioned before that some of his behaviours correlate well with those one often sees in patients with early dementia.

Who gives a shit about the clothes politicians are wearing? If a politician did everything right regarding politics, but wore Borat's swimsuit at all times, I'd still support him. If a politician did as much as he could to make people's lives better, but snorted cocaine live on air, I'd still support him.

House:
221 yay
203 nay

Now the Senate. I just read:

To convict an accused, "the concurrence of two thirds of the [Senators] present" for at least one article is required. If there is no single charge commanding a "guilty" vote from two-thirds of the senators present, the defendant is acquitted and no punishment is imposed.

And I guess they're rounding up. Curious how many Senators turn up (if I understood well the House was not complete), then we know how many votes are needed.

I think I have mentioned before that some of his behaviours correlate well with those one often sees in patients with early dementia.
You have, and you're not alone. But whatever is Trump's issue I think it's been fed by years brain-laziness caused by indulgence and generally getting his own way with little or no resistance. I have no sympathy for him, only pity.

House:
221 yay
203 nay

Now the Senate. I just read:

To convict an accused, "the concurrence of two thirds of the [Senators] present" for at least one article is required. If there is no single charge commanding a "guilty" vote from two-thirds of the senators present, the defendant is acquitted and no punishment is imposed.

And I guess they're rounding up. Curious how many Senators turn up (if I understood well the House was not complete), then we know how many votes are needed.
But the Senate will not vote today. They do, in fact, not assemble again until the 19th if I have understood things correctly.

When they do meet, and the impeachment is on their agenda, I am pretty sure all 100 will be there. I do hope they at least take the time to give it a proper process this time.

I am curious as to when the House will present the impeachment to the Senate though. Perhaps they have to do it before the 20th (i.e. while Trump is stil in office)?

Back