USA Politics

I put skype on the Mac, but haven't used it yet.  Thats one person at a time, correct?

I am looking for a good reason to get drunk right now....

Perun said:
:blink:

This is just cynical. And, quite honestly, makes everything you said fall apart.  There is a huge difference between Tibetans and Uyghurs, and Basques and Corsicans. And they are not privileged, at least not in any way that matters, because they are not free.

Besides, Falun Gong, Liu Xiaobo, Tank Man or Yan Xiaoling are Chinese. Check your facts.

Right, I didn't pay attention, the others are names and movements.
I don't compare, it was an example. I don't have a clue why Corsicans cry for independence even if they are free in a nice and democratic country. But they do. They don't have not an idea how they will survive if they become independent. They have what they should normally want. They still cry. Now thing again those Chinese activists.

Does Skype work with the webcam and mike I got built in with my laptop?

Wasted CLV said:
I am looking for a good reason to get drunk right now....

Bill Gates is richer than you. Burma has a new flag that looks crappy. The dodo is extinct. I've got two schedule conflicts tomorrow. The Voynich manuscript is still not deciphered.

Pick one. ;)

______no5 said:
India is hugely corrupted, how many leaders were been murdered since Gandhi?? Huge populations live in absolute poverty. Not in China.

I don't think that democracy is something that should be applied in all costs. Life is practical and simple. And China is doing so much better than India, or Brazil or Russia. Lights years better, overall, in the every day life. And this is what is all about.

What country besides New Zealand ISN'T corrupt? and last I checked that wasn't the premise being argued.

You postulated that China is too large to be a democracy. I clearly showed that size, whether in terrain or population is of no consequence as India IS a democracy.

If we are going to discuss efficiency that's a new argument that will go nowhere, because again, what system isn't corrupt?

LooseCannon said:
Nope, we can have many people in a conference call.

Cool!  I'll dig up my skype name and shoot it off to you some time.

Perun said:
Does Skype work with the webcam and mike I got built in with my laptop?

Bill Gates is richer than you. Burma has a new flag that looks crappy. The dodo is extinct. I've got two schedule conflicts tomorrow. The Voynich manuscript is still not deciphered.

Pick one. ;)

Hmmmm.... thats a tough one.  I'll go with the flag!

Onhell said:
What country besides New Zealand ISN'T corrupt? and last I checked that wasn't the premise being argued.

You postulated that China is too large to be a democracy. I clearly showed that size, whether in terrain or population is of no consequence as India IS a democracy.

If we are going to discuss efficiency that's a new argument that will go nowhere, because again, what system isn't corrupt?

The quality of life is incomparable in those countries. Dealing with so many Indians every day, I'm doubting if India should be a democracy.
Or if you want, you could have a democratic China, but the people wouldn't live the half good as they live now. And Chinese are practical; they care for their every day life. Why to become Indians? To say that they live in a democracy? I don't see them being jealous of Indians at all!

I know what I'm saying, Per. I'll explain to you some other time. Or with time, I'll make you understand. But even, if you read again my posts of today in this thread, you'll maybe realise what I mean.

______no5 said:
The quality of life is incomparable in those countries. Dealing with so many Indians every day, I'm doubting if India should be a democracy.
Or if you want, you could have a democratic China, but the people wouldn't live the half good as they live now. And Chinese are practical; they care for their every day life. Why to become Indians? To say that they live in a democracy? I don't see them being jealous of Indians at all!

Again we are not discussing corruption or quality of life, their level of happiness or what time zone they are in. We are talking about the type of government in said countries concerning their size.

We are not discussing what type of government is better, which one they should have or which one will solve world peace.

Again.... you said:

______no5 said:
No, no it was a side not, thus the small fond size.

Now, talking about the regime, you have a point, but don't forget that China isn't a democracy. Can't be either, due to huge population...

I said:

Onhell said:
Size is NOT an excuse. India, Population: 1.2 BILLION is a Federal constitutional
parliamentary democracy

Again... Population... democracy... NOT corruption, efficiency or shoulda, woulda or coulda....

______no5 said:
I know what I'm saying, Per. I'll explain to you some other time. Or with time, I'll make you understand. But even, if you read again my posts of today in this thread, you'll maybe realise what I mean.

What Onhell said. Plus, I find it stunning that you are openly denying a huge mass of people their right for freedom.

There were a few wise men once who held the truth, that all men are created equal, and that they are endowed with certain, unalienable rights, among them life, liberty and happiness, to be self-evident. I wonder what they would say to that.

Perun said:
What Onhell said. Plus, I find it stunning that you are openly denying a huge mass of people their right for freedom.

There were a few wise men once who held the truth, that all men are created equal, and that they are endowed with certain, unalienable rights, among them life, liberty and happiness*, to be self-evident. I wonder what they would say to that.

*Property :D

If only we could all live in the utopia called China, hope this site is not on the censored list there.

Onhell said:
*Property :D

That was John Locke (the political scholar, not the character on "Lost").  The Declaration of Independence says "pursuit of happiness."  Jefferson deliberately altered Locke's famous line.  Locke also wrote about the pursuit of happiness, though. 

I believe that property is the opposite of happiness.

Not the exact opposite, but pretty close.

Perun said:
I believe that property is the opposite of happiness.

Not the exact opposite, but pretty close.

One of the happiest, proudest moments in my life was when I bought my first house.  

And my first gun with which to protect it!  (Okay that was a joke, but the first line is true.)  

This post got me thinking about what are the more memorable happy moments of my life.  In no particular order:  getting married; birth of each kid; lost virginity; buying first house; buying current, bigger house; won my first trial; Stanford men's basketball beating Rhode Island to advance to Final Four; and this (my former avatar).

I typed an answer to Onhell & Perun, but I'm tired for more arguments and besides I'm waiting someone here anytime in the next 5 minutes, so I saved it and I'll post it later. Cheers guys!

______no5 said:
I typed an answer to Onhell & Perun, but I'm tired for more arguments and besides I'm waiting someone here anytime in the next 5 minutes, so I saved it and I'll post it later. Cheers guys!

Breaks are needed on ocassion :) Have fun and I'll be looking forward to it!

cornfedhick said:
That was John Locke (the political scholar, not the character on "Lost").  The Declaration of Independence says "pursuit of happiness."  Jefferson deliberately altered Locke's famous line.  Locke also wrote about the pursuit of happiness, though. 

Thanks for the clarification.

Personally I always say "property," because I've always found "the pursuit of happiness" an American myth and too vague of a statement like, "the war on terror."

Property on the other hand is much more tangible and frankly makes more sense (to me).

On both your and Perun's posts: I agree with both (if I understood Perun's post correctly). I have felt great "happiness" when buying my car, renting my first apartment, etc... At the same time when I was renting my first apartment I had NOTHING in it, no furniture whatsoever and to be honest... I have never been as happy as I was then. As soon as my friend gave me his old TV and another gave me an old bed I began to worry if I had locked the door and what if someone ransacks my place...

@Onhell: Yes, I understood, since the first place. When I told
China isn't a democracy. Can't be either, due to huge population...
I already knew about India which IS a democracy. But I didn't bother. Why? To have democracy and live in worst conditions, I don't bother, that's why. To me, India for China, is a step backwards. You tell me about France or Norway or New Zealand: yes, this is the step forward. Not India.

Perun said:

I don't think I do. I'm seeing things practically. All I'm saying is China is doing much better than a lot of democracies in the world. So simple. I was with a white South African the other day. He left from his country because of criminality. He was there since ever, for generations there. Left. What freedom. Or India: cast system and half a billion dying in the streets. Does it make any difference for them if they vote or not? Freedom is good, but you need to feed them first.
--------------

The above was yesterday’s post. I add some words with more clear mind.

As India shows us in deed, we can have an 1.5 billion democracy. I’m only wondering if in China’s case, this is worthy, at this very moment. A sudden change it would be probably a disaster and the numbers are too big for something like that. China is moving very carefully and with certain wisdom at the moment. Why to become another Ukraine, Romania, Hungary or Latvia? Nobody would like that. Democracy and changes must come when it’s time for them, not when we want. We, the West don’t really care about China, we are only afraid of China. That’s why we cry about democracy and rights. We hope to see it split before it grows even bigger.

I know hundreds of Indians here and enough Chinese. Most Indians work for less than 200 Euro per month, the live by 8 in a small room; they are treated by locals like animals and the summer they die by hundreds from the heat. I don’t know a single Chinese who is here for 200 Euros. They can have this back home. Plus hospitals, plus education, plus less criminality, plus better urban environment, plus retreat (pension). In India only state workers can ‘enjoy’ their rainy days.

So Onhell: Yes. Size is not an excuse, if you want to. But democracy isn’t the best thing for China. Not now.

Back