USA Politics

bearfan said:
a) the US is not an empire in any stretch of the classic sense of the term

This made me laugh. It amazes me how people continue to be in denial over that.

______no5 said:
I would like to know your opinion about the mentioned hypocrisy and yes, why not? compare.

the input I have for China from various Western people that actually live and have families there, is extremely positive. They all say, forget about what you hear or read, this kind of stuff. They all describe a wonderful society that still keeps some of its old values...

Come on mate, are you really telling me you are confusing government and society? Sure, the Chinese society may be traditional and wonderful, but that is just not what I am talking about. I mean the government, regime, those people sitting in the palaces and ruling the people. The ones claiming to be in the service of the people, but put people in prison and kill them. Any government that needs to resort to oppression and violence against its own people hasn't got a single token of legitimacy in my eyes. It doesn't matter if one does it less than another- even if they imprison a single person for political reasons it is too much.

They used to be an empire in the classic sense, when they occupied colonial possessions like Cuba and the Philippines. Now they are an empire in the modern sense.

The USA was certainly an imperial power in the 1800s, when they invaded a sovereign nation (Mexico) for the sole purpose of getting land, when they murdered millions of natives to make sure they had no problem holding that land, and when they fought a jingoistic war with another imperial power to seize some of their colonies (Spain). Just because the age of European empire in the Americas was over doesn't mean that the USA can't have acted like one.

Now? They are re-defining the term, using political and economic controls. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have them on my side, but hey. Part of knowing history is appreciating every part of it. Don't gloss over the details.

LooseCannon said:
Now? They are re-defining the term, using political and economic controls. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad to have them on my side, but hey. Part of knowing history is appreciating every part of it. Don't gloss over the details.

Actually, they are now an empire in the very classic sense of divide et impera.

Kinda...I would say they were more of that during the Cold War than now. We're really in a brave new world of economic closeness that is redefining what Empire could mean.

Global Economics?  Where every 'major' nation has its fingers and strings mixed within everyone elses?  Where Political borders are all that really separates what a nation is?

LooseCannon said:
Kinda...I would say they were more of that during the Cold War than now. We're really in a brave new world of economic closeness that is redefining what Empire could mean.

I think that we're lacking the historical distance to properly assess the situation. This would certainly require a closer study, but I permit myself to postulate that we are currently experiencing globally what happened in Roman Republican times in the Mediterranean.

EDIT: The only question is, Who is Rome?

Perun said:
Come on mate, are you really telling me you are confusing government and society? Sure, the Chinese society may be traditional and wonderful, but that is just not what I am talking about. I mean the government, regime, those people sitting in the palaces and ruling the people. The ones claiming to be in the service of the people, but put people in prison and kill them. Any government that needs to resort to oppression and violence against its own people hasn't got a single token of legitimacy in my eyes. It doesn't matter if one does it less than another- even if they imprison a single person for political reasons it is too much.

No, no it was a side not, thus the small fond size.

Now, talking about the regime, you have a point, but don't forget that China isn't a democracy. Can't be either, due to huge population, everybody knows it. What you just described happens to a lot of 'democracies' in the world, and much smaller states than 1.5 billion. Take Turkey for instance. Somewhere else, is not political, but it's the corruption that kills, take Mexico or India. Somewhere else is huge criminality, take South Africa. So overall, with all its particularities, I think China is doing just fine.

More simple example: You tell me where I prefer to live Romania (EU state) or China, I choose China. This could apply for most of eastern European countries.

______no5 said:
but don't forget that China isn't a democracy.

Case in point. But it should be.

Can't be either, due to huge population, everybody knows it.

Then why not split China, if it is not governable humanely? This "territorial integrity" thing is one of the worst ideas in modern political theory.

Perun said:
Then why not split China, if it is not governable humanely? This "territorial integrity" thing is one of the worst ideas in modern political theory.

A lot of Romanians, Ukrainians, Croatians etc tell me that 'before' was better. Now they have democracy but they live in poverty. In China people are happy. They have the basics, free health, education, they can even become rich. The system works well for the moment, why to change it?

Perun said:

US. It's 200 AD, currently.

______no5 said:
China isn't a democracy. Can't be either, due to huge population, everybody knows it.

Size is NOT an excuse. India, Population: 1.2 BILLION is a Federal constitutional
parliamentary democracy

______no5 said:
why to change it?

Ask the Tibetans, the Uyghurs, Falun Gong, Liu Xiaobo, Tank Man or Yan Xiaoling for a start. The people of China deserve freedom just like all other people in the world.

Come on 5, I know you are intelligent and well-educated. I can't believe you're falling for this crap.

All these are not Chinese, they are autonomous regions. As far as I know, they have a lot of privileges. Basques & Corsicans too, they cry for independence, but everybody knows that they ain't go too far, even they will regret in case they do receive independence. So everybody laughs at them.
And don't forget that behind all these revolutions in China, or at least some of them, Westerns are behind. It's part of the game.

However, China could release those territories or to make a referendum to let the people choose. These territories do not participate that much to the Chinese miracle, only create troubles. I don't understand why China doesn't release them, or let them choose.

Onhell said:
Size is NOT an excuse. India, Population: 1.2 BILLION is a Federal constitutional
parliamentary democracy

India is hugely corrupted, how many leaders were been murdered since Gandhi?? Huge populations live in absolute poverty. Not in China.

I don't think that democracy is something that should be applied in all costs. Life is practical and simple. And China is doing so much better than India, or Brazil or Russia. Lights years better, overall, in the every day life. And this is what is all about.

______no5 said:
All these are not Chinese, they are autonomous regions. As far as I know, they have a lot of privileges. Basques & Corsicans too, they cry for independence, but everybody knows that they ain't go too far, even they will regret in case they do receive independence. So everybody laughs at them.

:blink:

This is just cynical. And, quite honestly, makes everything you said fall apart.  There is a huge difference between Tibetans and Uyghurs, and Basques and Corsicans. And they are not privileged, at least not in any way that matters, because they are not free.

Besides, Falun Gong, Liu Xiaobo, Tank Man or Yan Xiaoling are Chinese. Check your facts.

______no5 said:
A lot of Romanians, Ukrainians, Croatians etc tell me that 'before' was better. Now they have democracy but they live in poverty. In China people are happy. They have the basics, free health, education, they can even become rich. The system works well for the moment, why to change it?

US. It's 200 AD, currently.

Wait, how do we know this?  Because some of the people in the larger cities have internet (that is censored) and cable (that is censored)?  Or are we talking about the millions of people that live in rural areas that have little to live on, no infrastructure, and have to kill their daughters so they can have sons to work the fields?

Perun said:
I think that we're lacking the historical distance to properly assess the situation. This would certainly require a closer study, but I permit myself to postulate that we are currently experiencing globally what happened in Roman Republican times in the Mediterranean.

We must get drunk and discuss this some night on Skype or something.

LooseCannon said:
We must get drunk and discuss this some night on Skype or something.

Good idea. Maybe I will get Skype then, some day.

Back