USA Politics

Re: USA Elections: Candidates Comparison

Oprah is a very important women's rights figure as well as an African-American rights leader.  And indeed, I think in her career she has done more for women's rights than civil rights for blacks.  So that's probably why the jump to Barack shocked her fans in some ways.  However, I do believe that it's not the colour of Obama's skin, but the integrity of his character and his charisma that causes these endorsements.

Golden Earring heralds Hillary Clinton
Tuesday 29 January 2008

Dutch band Golden Earring's 1984 hit When The Lady Smiles is being used by Hillary Clinton's campaign team, the band's management confirmed on Monday evening. The song is played when Clinton enters a venue.

The band only found out when fans in America contacted them. 'There's been no contact between Clinton's team and us,' their manager told news agency ANP. 'But no doubt we'll receive royalties.'

Hillary's husband Bill reportedly used Golden Earring's global hit Radar Love in his 1992 campaign. 'There must be a fan in the Clinton entourage,' the manager said..

According to MSN, looks like McCain has won florida and Guiliani looks to be dropping out of the race.  On the Dem's side, looks like Hilary has a pretty convincing lead over Obama.

Democrats
Candidate        Votes      % of votes
Hillary Clinton  679,965        50% 
Barack Obama  430,794        32% 
John Edwards  200,215        15% 
Dennis Kucinich 7,708            1%

69% of precincts reporting 

Republicans 
Candidate        Votes      % of votes
John McCain    539,657      36% 
Mitt Romney    474,478      31% 
Rudy Giuliani    225,970      15% 
Mike Huckabee 200,699      13% 
Ron Paul          47,973      3% 
Fred Thompson  18,525      1% 
Duncan Hunter    2,222      0%

67% of precincts reporting 

Hillary has declared Florida a "victory", even though it was not a contested state.  She seems to be pulling out all the stops to get headlines before Super Tuesday.

Giuliani made a critical mistake - he put all his eggs in one basket.  If Giuliani had campaigned in the other early primary states, he may have been able to win Florida with a first or second place win elsewhere, and it may be Mitt Romney or John McCain announcing their withdrawal.  However, he managed to tank his hopes with his shortsighted campaign.  It is likely he will endorse McCain.

The McCain win makes him the frontrunner, and most likely to win the nomination.  However, Huckabee will likely win a series of southern states, giving him plenty of delegates, and Romney is likely to win a handful of northern and midwest states, to keep him fighting and in the race.  It's still open, but not wide open like it would have been with a Romney or Giuliani win tonight.

NEWSFLASH!

John Edwards will today withdraw from the race, tossing everything back up into the air on the Democratic side!  John Edwards was polling at between 10-20% in most states, and it is very difficult to tell how his supporters will break.  In many southern states, Edwards was winning a plurality of votes from middle-aged and higher white men, which may break along racial lines towards Hillary.  In the north, Edwards won the hearts and votes of the more progressive voters, which will likely bend towards Obama.

Conclusion: everything's fucked up again.  Southern states that may have gone Obama's way may now go Clinton's; northern states that might have gone for for Clinton might now go for Obama.

There are only three states that are guaranteed currently: Illinois will vote Obama, and Arkansas and New York will vote for Clinton.  Everything else was just tossed back in the blender.

Forostar said:
Golden Earring heralds Hillary Clinton
Tuesday 29 January 2008

Dutch band Golden Earring's 1984 hit When The Lady Smiles is being used by Hillary Clinton's campaign team, the band's management confirmed on Monday evening. The song is played when Clinton enters a venue.

The band only found out when fans in America contacted them. 'There's been no contact between Clinton's team and us,' their manager told news agency ANP. 'But no doubt we'll receive royalties.'

Hillary's husband Bill reportedly used Golden Earring's global hit Radar Love in his 1992 campaign. 'There must be a fan in the Clinton entourage,' the manager said..

Haha! It seems the song will be replaced very soon, already! The video, which was already heavily censored in the States, because it features an obsessed man, seeing attractive women all the time, one of which a beautiful nun, with a red bra, and she gets kind of raped. In the end the mad man's skull is operated in a brutal way.

The choice of this song was not the smartest because Hillary's opponents might use it to attack her (and I heard they already started doing that, though I haven't seen clear examples of it yet).

The choice of this song was not the smartest because Hillary's opponents might use it to attack her (and I heard they already started doing that, though I haven't seen clear examples of it yet).

Man, I hope so. Hillary takes Florida, <<skin crawling>>. It's not that I couldn't take a woman president, just not another Clinton president.

Hillary wins the Florida beauty contest.  No delegates were up for grabs.

hillary_clinton.jpg

You mean that pic doesn't give you a boner???

Dude, that is seriously sick!  ( don't have a throwing up smiley face )

do you wonder, though, if the reason Bill is so behind this isn't cause of Hilary, but because he will have more shots at interns?

Pics like that explain why Bill could not achieve erections with her either and had to get his BJs from Monica.

I just read the news about Edwards and came here.  I'm disappointed he dropped out.  Hopefully, he'll end up backing Obama.

You know what? I wanted to post how nice Osama's speech to Edwards was. I indeed posted Osama as well, just because I read your post right before that!  :)

Well, I was researching things about Bin Laden after reading the Afghan thread and apparently I got my brain mixed up.  :D

The whole thing made me doubt as hell and I even checked wikipedia to see what the dude's name really was!  :stupid:

B. Hussein Obama, how hard is it to get!?

Hehehe.

Well, I expect that Edwards will endorse Obama.  Honestly?  I think he's waiting for some time closer to Super Tuesday to make that move.

LooseCannon said:
B. Hussein Obama, how hard is it to get!?

Hehehe.

Easy.  :)

LooseCannon said:
Well, I expect that Edwards will endorse Obama.  Honestly?  I think he's waiting for some time closer to Super Tuesday to make that move.

No "duper" this time?  :)

Back